What are some reasons for the large lack of empathy in America across all ages?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 9 years ago

What are some reasons for the large lack of empathy in America across all ages?

2. Suzanne Day profile image94
    Suzanne Dayposted 9 years ago

I think it's a matter of people not knowing what to do or how to do it to fix problems. Also, no one wants to have a big commitment in time or personal emotional input into another person when mental, emotional or physical issues can be very long term, sometimes permanent, and there is little effective professional help available to cover the myriad of issues going on.

If issues were solved by pressing someone's little green button, we'd see a HUGE increase in empathy and people pressing the buttons. But as it stands, people do not want to give too much because they can see they will be needing it for themselves if they hit the same circumstances, or are just plain selfish.

Also, society seems to be getting worse at putting judgemental labels on people and making groups of people war with each other. The media and governments encourage this. For example, an obese person might be ridiculed instead of treated normally, or an unemployed person might be seen as a "loser" or lazy.

What it often boils down to is class division and "winners" and "losers" as defined by consumerist society. People who are up the top think they deserve to be there and can be quite selfish sometimes (eg, they may donate to the Society Of Pretty Dogs In Ballerina Costumes but they won't give $100 to a homeless person). People who are down the bottom lack empathy because they need plenty of love and empathy to overcome their own issues first. If class division increases, you can be sure empathy decreases right along with it.

Express10posted 9 years agoin reply to this

You have made a few valid points that I'd not thought of.

2. profile image0
      Sri Tposted 9 years agoin reply to this

A skilled beggar can pull in at least $500 a week in some cities in America.

3. Express10 profile image85

I think most anything is possible Sri T however, one can help the homeless without giving them money directly. Suzanne did provide a good example of a lack of empathy with the Society of Pretty Dogs v/s a homeless person scenario.

3. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 9 years ago

Empathy as most know is not sympathy. It is the 'ability' to 'share' (meaning to experience) another individual or group's experiences, emotions, and feelings. Sympathy is simply recognizing them without experience, IMHO. In other words there is understanding and at times sorrow, yet really experiencing the emotions or feelings is not there. Recollection of similar experiences, maybe, and those associated feelings.

I think (IMHO) in the US there is a lot of pain, suffering, and stress. If we accept studies saying overweight and obesity's number one cause is genetics followed by stress, then it seems we are a stressed out nation. Pain occurs as a cohort of stress.

To be empathetic is to experience that pain and stress as real and not observed. I think it is just overwhelming today to be empathetic 'often', as one has enough stress and pain of their own. I think it takes a strong person of wellness to be empathetic often. I give a nod and take my hat off to those who have that capacity and/or ability. Or, our nation is not a nation of wellness today, therefore there is less empathy as need for empathy rises faster than it can be provided.

It seems very negative when there are so many who refuse to even consider another person's viewpoint, experience, proven facts or common knowledge. Then we have people who attempt turn turn tragedies into jokes. I'm interested in learning why.

2. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure for certain your meaning. Tragedies as in media shown tragedy contrasting the death in the family, a pet, or loss of a job after 20+ years of working and not eligible for Soc Sec. There are many kinds of tragedy.

3. Express10 profile image85

There are many examples but just one would be the case of the young girl killed by the boy whose prom invite she declined. I've heard jokes about this and seen many in comments. Just makes me wonder where's the empathy for those left behind.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image84
    M. T. Dremerposted 9 years ago

I don't know if there is any less empathy than there was before. But I would say that coverage of it is at an all time low. People are out there all the time doing humanitarian efforts and fighting for people who are less fortunate, but those stories don't get coverage. Part of it is ratings and part of it is the extrovert-ideal. We watch every move of careless celebrities and ignore virtually everything else. Maybe if we started rising up more thoughtful people, the U.S. wouldn't have such a bad image in the world abroad.

I agree. The news can shock you or make you cry if you're a sensitive person, and there ratio of good to bad is overwhelmingly in favor of bad news.  I also wonder why many parents aren't in their kids' lives, raising law abiding + thoughtful kids.

5. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 9 years ago

I don't know if you can paint a country with such a broad brush. Every time there is a tragedy, millions of dollars come flooding in from the people here. Whenever people are hurt, millions of people rush in to show their support. There are people who donate every day or leave huge tips at restaurants to help struggling waiters. The people in this country are some of the most generous in the world. Even the government are first to rush donations to other countries who have natural disasters.

I speak of not only tragedy but also of sexism, ageism, racism, and forms of maltreatment of others. Some of those who are generous in one way are hypocritical in another. I wonder why many refuse to think of how they can affect others.

6. c-m-hall profile image59
    c-m-hallposted 9 years ago

propaganda ... lack of knowledge ... flouride in the water ... break down of family unit ... loss of values and goodness due to greed ... capitalism and belief in evolution ... fittest of the fit ,,,, etc ,,,

Break down of the family unit is the one that really pops out at me in part because a fair number of the problems in America can be traced back to this either in part or in full. Thanks for answering.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)