Would you disown your child for religion purposes?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (22 posts)
  1. DDE profile image46
    DDEposted 9 years ago

Would you disown your child for religion purposes?

Many families in different cultures choose to disown their children if they marry someone from  another religion. I don't think religion should be a priority in any relationship. Do you think it is a right way to disown ones child because of religion issues?

2. Snøwman profile image58
    Snøwmanposted 9 years ago

No, it's not right. Jesus taught us to love everyone, even members of other religions. Even when family is in another religion. Disowning children isn't love. Think of the prodigal son in The Bible. He was never disowned. It is appropriate to discourage marrying someone of another religion, but you have to let them make their own choice.

Religion should be a priority in a relationship. You always put God first.

1. DDE profile image46
      DDEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for answering here it is interesting to read the different opinions. Very thoughtfully mentioned.

3. Aime F profile image71
    Aime Fposted 9 years ago

There is nothing in this world that would make me disown or turn my back on my child. She has my support to associate, love, and be with anyone she chooses as long as they treat her well; their religion isn't even a blip on my radar.

Likewise, she is free to follow, or not follow, any religion that she wants. It's her choice entirely and I will support her no matter what.

The thought that someone puts religion before their own child absolutely blows my mind. My daughter is my number one priority and I can't imagine putting anything else first.

1. DDE profile image46

Thank you I feel the same way

4. MG Singh profile image74
    MG Singhposted 9 years ago

It is a very difficult question. Gandhi also disowned his son when he converted to Islam. For me I would accept conversion to any religion except Islam

1. DDE profile image46

Hmm then you do have a problem with religion not every individual  will have the same thought about religion and I respect your decision thank you.

2. Chasing Words profile image60
      Chasing Wordsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I understand your concerns surrounding Islam; especially, for women. A woman who marries a Muslim male is expect to convert along with any children; otherwise, there are serious consequences.

5. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 9 years ago

My kids could blow a thousand people up and I would still love them. I would never disown my child for something so unimportant. If it makes them happy great! I am not required to agree with every thing they do. We are a family of atheist, Jewish, Buddhist, and Christians. They are free to use their own brains to make adult decisions.

1. DDE profile image46

peeples your answer is so perfect. i understand your views here and i feel the same. Thank you.

6. bethperry profile image83
    bethperryposted 9 years ago

I could never bring myself to disown one of my children, and I agree that religion shouldn't be a priority in any relationship. It may seem easy to some to disown a child that doesn't conform to our belief system, but this is cowardice and it is arrogance. Besides, when follow our spiritual beliefs even if our loved ones do not share them is a far greater testament to devotion and our Deity than any arrogant, vengeful behavior.

1. DDE profile image46

bethperry thank you I feel the same. I will not disown my child for religion purposes or any other.

7. Chasing Words profile image60
    Chasing Wordsposted 9 years ago

Religion plays a major role in how people and cultures view relationships. If people marry from different religions there is usually conflict once the honeymoon phase wanes, because the baseline for their relationship has many variations.  Without a solid baseline the foundation becomes weak unless they find a middle ground. It is best if individuals from different religious belief systems negotiate their viewpoints prior to marriage to avoid serious issues following marriage. Do I believe inter religion relationships work if both parties are committed to making it work? Yes. Do I feel that a parent should disown their child for marrying someone from a different religious background? Never.

1. DDE profile image46

Hi thank you and so right on never disown your child for religion purposes. Thank you.

8. Sparklea profile image61
    Sparkleaposted 9 years ago

Never, ever! 

That being said, my son has disowned me for religious purposes.

I was a total fool when raising my son and daughter, I shoved Christianity down their throats.  I knew no different back then.  I went to a very strict fundamental church.  I put my children in a ridiculous Christian school, signed permission forms for them to be spanked...one day they refused to let my son attend school because his hair touched his ears, and he could not return until his hair was cut.  Very damaging.  I finally took them out of Christian school.

My husband and I left the church years ago...but it was too late.
    The aftershocks continue.

Yes, I am still a Christian.  But I will not go near a church.  My testimony is no longer my talk but my walk...I never preach nor dump my beliefs on anyone.  If I want to share the wonderful things God has done for me I do it in writing.

I remain close to my daughter, she survived the misdirection I pushed on her and her brother. 

However, I live in heartbreak and I have frequent weeping periods for what religion---not God---did to my relationship with my son.  He is such a wonderful person, husband and father to his four children.....We text, he says he loves me...but  he lives nine minutes away and I never see him.  I have not spent time with his children for over 2 1/2 years. 

I may write a book about this some day to encourage parents to let their child make their own decisions about choosing their own beliefs.

This is a good question.  Thank you.  Blessings, Sparklea

1. DDE profile image46

Hi Sparklea this is sad your son disowning you even vice versa as the questions applies.    Life is too short and  forgiveness is the answer here.  I couldn't do what you are doing..  Write that book it would encourage others. Thank you.

9. agusfanani profile image71
    agusfananiposted 9 years ago

Our religion plays very important role in my family's life. I can't imagine it if my child has another different religion from the one I embrace but that won't make me disown her since my belief says when one has grown up and become adult, all responsibilities regarding his/her interactions with God is in his/her own hand. I think that will really make me so sad.

1. DDE profile image46

Hi agusfanani , You have your reason about religion but would not disown your child well said, thank you.

10. Ozonenrhia profile image58
    Ozonenrhiaposted 9 years ago

I love this question! This is something I have touched on many many times and I get to do so again. Being a parent is the most important, sacred job you will ever have in your whole life. It is the very essence of life itself, as we virtually give it to another.

My answer to this question is no. However, I do not follow a religion. I am very very spiritual but religious no. Religion is man made and men have screwed things up from the beginning of time. I am also not a Christian. I think that Jesus was an amazing teacher and the epiphany of what love should be. I view him much like I do all the great teachers of the world. I find it sad, that so many have twisted his message to hurt others. I have many amazing Christian friends that walk the walk he taught and for that I respect them. Sadly, there are not enough that do.

I have 5 amazing children. I do not care what they grow up to believe as long as they believe in something and have hope. Religion does not make someone a good person, they either are or they are not. I do not care who my children grow up to love. I do not care if they are black, brown, white, yellow or purple. I do not care because if they are happy, treated well, built up and loved I could not be happier. I do not care if my children fall in love with, date or marry a man or a woman. Love is love regardless of what package it comes in.

Anyone who disowns a child based on their religion really needs to evaluate what they believe in. You cannot disown and claim to follow Christ. If you do so, you need to reread his teachings as his friends were the outcasts. His friends were the lepers, prostitutes and thieves. Remember also that to disown based on religion is not a valid reason. Jesus himself was not a Christian. He was very much Jewish.

Brightest Blessings my friends.

11. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 9 years ago

Absolutely not. The True purpose of religion is to bring us closer together. But ego destroys religions just as it destroys governments, businesses, etc.

God is Love. So, if my son or daughter were to marry a non-Christian, I would welcome them into the family as a new, cherished loved one.

I've studied many religions. I started as a Southern Baptist (Christian). I studied Scientology, Buddhism, Taoism, Judaism, Christian (non-denominational) and now Kabbalah (which is, as I found out recently, not a religion at all, but spiritual science).

http://perceivingreality.com/

God's purpose is to bring all His children back together into one being. We can't do that if we use Ego (evil) to keep us separate.

12. Penny G profile image59
    Penny Gposted 9 years ago

Absolutely not! God wants us to love everyone and withhold love for no reason. We should as he does us love unconditionally , no matter what the situation. I'm sure glad or there would be an awful lot of unloved people.

13. passionatelearnr profile image84
    passionatelearnrposted 8 years ago

No ofcourse not.but if my child does serious harm to someone then i'd be very unhappy with him.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)