Do you watch the family reality show about the Dugger family: 19 Kids and Counti

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Denise Handlon profile image86
    Denise Handlonposted 9 years ago

Do you watch the family reality show about the Dugger family: 19 Kids and Counting?

The TLC show follows the family in their home state of Arkansas.  Does this show interest you?

2. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 9 years ago

No. But what environmental damage they're doing. Yeesh!

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not only the Duggars, but large/very large families in general.  1-2 children are ENOUGH for any couple to have.  Better for the environment and indefinitely better for the parents & children overall.

Rod Marsdenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Why promote such vandalism to the environment? These people are not heroic but stupid.

3. gmwilliams profile image84

Stupid is THE LEAST of what the Duggars are.  I have more words to describe the  Idiotgars a/k/a Brioodgars, oops, better hold my venomous, vituperative, and vitriolic tongue.

4. Denise Handlon profile image86
      Denise Handlonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for commenting, Rod.  I appreciate your comment to Christin's reply; and also the feedback that gmwilliams has given.

5. gmwilliams profile image84

Denise, I have written an article on the Duggars and so have many hubbers on HubPages.

3. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/9027052_f260.jpg

Not at all.  It is best that people not watch the Duggars.  Their lifestyle is atrocious; having more children than they can adequate take care of mentally, emotionally, and psychologically. However, such shows such as the Duggars and Bates(another megafamily) demonstrate how large, in this care, very large families negatively impact upon children if one is highly observant and see beyond the Duggar hype.

1. Rod Marsden profile image67

The negative impact is also to the environment and to the education of this brood.

2. gmwilliams profile image84

Not only the Duggars but MOST large/very large families.  Such families really AREN'T normal in the least.  Their world is BIZARRO world where the abnormal is.....WELL, NORMAL.

3. Denise Handlon profile image86

Thanks for your feedback.  It surprises me as how different they live in this world-exclusive in their lifestyle; a community onto its own and in connection with church & other large families.

4. gmwilliams profile image84

It's not only the Duggars but the typical large/very large family of 6 or more children per household.Children from such families have a HARD life-raising themselves, doing without, working from childhood,often foregoing education to support family.

4. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

No, but if I ever need to learn how to efficiently run a factory using child labor I'll be sure to tune in wink.  I watched it once to see what it was all about - I see a lot of kids raising other kids and a lot of assembly line kind of things going on.  I don't see much love and deep bonding - more function and managing a herd.  Not the loving environment a child should be raised in IMO, but to each their own.  I guess if some women want to believe their only real purpose is popping out babies until they die, that's on them.

Totally agree, the Duggars' lifestyle is absolutely atrocious.  Michelle keep having children willy nilly without concern as to how this effects the other children.  However, what the Duggars do is typical of large family behavior.

What about education? These children will not get the education they deserve because there are too many of them. This sort of behavior should have ended a century ago.

Thanks ChristinS for your feedback.  My daughter feels the same way about 'kids raising kids' and has only watched a couple of episodes.

5. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 9 years ago

I watched one episode, looked up their back story, realized they were delusional, and never watched again. Anyone who equate a mother miscarrying because she conceived while on birth control with murder is delusional. I'll pass.

Some people sadly live in a universe that is different from that of logical people, Peeples.

When you are right peeples you are right.

I have yet to look up their back story, and am curious as to what religious affiliation they are.  I know they raise their children very differently from the rest of the world.

4. gmwilliams profile image84

They are part of the Quiverfull movement. This is a very fundamentalist Baptist sect. Women are exhorted to let God decide how many children to have. In their minds, they will stop having children when God deems it so.

6. Sherry Hewins profile image91
    Sherry Hewinsposted 9 years ago

I am not a regular viewer, but I have watched it. I did find it interesting, and I disagree with the other commenters. I think the parents are very involved with all of their children.

Michelle home schools all of them and her disciplinary methods are gentle but effective. The children have learned to take responsibility for household tasks and to work as a team.

They appear to be able to support their large brood, and even built a house big enough for that enormous family.

Their religious beliefs are that they should have as many children as God gives them. That is not my belief, and their lifestyle is not one that I would prefer, but I do find it interesting how they deal with life in such a large family.

1. Rod Marsden profile image67

We have an over populated world. Given this knowledge these people are a disgrace. And of course there has to be some ridiculous religious slant behind their insane selfishness.

2. Denise Handlon profile image86

Hi Sherry, thanks for your comment.  I found their lifestyle intriguing as well, which is why I posed this Q.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)