Why do so many non-Americans hate the US?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Zion Moulder profile image61
    Zion Moulderposted 9 years ago

Why do so many non-Americans hate the US?

(By non-Americans I'm referring to those who don't reside in the United States) I've noticed a lot of anti-American sentiment online coming from non-Americans. I feel ashamed for the actions of my government, however I feel a lot of their sentiment is aimed directly at Americans. I've had several negative interactions with Europeans who are convinced that I, as an American, am arrogant and lack empathy, which couldn't be further from the truth. I am considering a job in office and would like to know why and if so many people hate people from the US. Please answer respectfully.

2. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 9 years ago

Some of them probably came into contact with ill-behaved Americans who may not have had any genuine interest in their culture, customs or laws. This brings to mind a story I heard about the American teen sentenced to a caning for vandalism, I bet he will NEVER do that again! Others may be expressing their dislike of our government actions and/or in-actions. It is not uncommon to be able to spot Americans in other countries simply by their behavior or style of dress that is not adjusted to the culture and customs of the country they are in. This is NOT to say all Americans behave that way, just that it happens enough that people in other countries unfairly stereotype all Americans.

3. Junior90 profile image61
    Junior90posted 9 years ago

Well there's alot of reasons, some might be jealous hey america has alot of things that the other countries don't have. Well my opinion America is a dominat country everything watch, listen, hear & think is from america, they expand alot through the world of what they offer us of what they have! and know!

4. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 9 years ago

Well we aren't very nice to a lot of countries. We've bombed a ridiculous number of countries. We act like our sh*t doesn't stink while we have nearly 3,000,000 million people in jail, 500,000 children in foster care,  close to one million homeless, 1 in 6 are hungry, and so many other horrible statistics. We ignore the realities of our own country while running off to mind the business of other countries. We are an arrogant nation. We boss the world around when we can't even help ourselves. Anyone who fails to see this is either ignorant, blind, in denial, or arrogant. I'm not saying our country doesn't have positives, but for outsiders they can't see those positives over the negatives because they are not here.

1. Express10 profile image85
      Express10posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Spot on and honest.

5. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 9 years ago

I definitely don't hate America, and on a person-to-person basis I don't think I'd be able to point out many differences between someone from the US and someone who lived down the street from me (in Canada).

That said, I would never choose to reside in America for a multitude of reasons. Health care, weight given to the Bible/Christianity when it comes to human rights laws, and gun prevalence, just to name a few. It sort of gives off this gloomy "everyone fend for yourself" vibe.

So, no, I don't hate America and I don't hate Americans, that's such a huge generalization. But there are things America does and standards that Americans live by that I can't get on board with.

1. Robert the Bruce profile image60
      Robert the Bruceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Aime, I believe you are partially right when you said the USA has a "fend for yourself vibe." This country was indeed founded on the principles of independence and self-reliance. These principles created a strong and robust nation. Not so much now.

6. definitions profile image59
    definitionsposted 9 years ago

America is portrayed as a land of excess in the media outside of USA.

7. MG Singh profile image75
    MG Singhposted 2 years ago

I will differ from you. I do not know how you have got the impression that all non-Americans hate Americans. I am from the Indian Air Force and I had a close association with the US Air Force and visited America any number of times and my impression is that generally the Americans are very friendly and the people, especially from Asia and the Middle East, really have a liking for America. I will just leave out Iran and Syria from the list and to a certain extent the Pakistani masses who are fed on rhetoric and propaganda. Americans have a lot of love in India and almost 20% of the NASA workforce is from India.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)