In high school & college, did you have friends from different socioeconomic grou

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

In high school & college, did you have friends from different socioeconomic groups or did you have

friends solely from your particular socioeconomic group?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12135015_f260.jpg

2. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 9 years ago

Honestly, I have no idea how rich or poor my friends were. The only one I'm kinda willing to guess at is one of my friends from high school, Mei. Her dad is a regular ol' doctor, so I'm willing to bet he makes a decent amount of money. Upper middle class at most, maybe.

Other than that, I couldn't tell ya. It just wasn't a subject that ever came up.

1. dashingscorpio profile image78
      dashingscorpioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Same here! Most students lived on campus and everyone was out  to enjoy their "newfound freedom" of not living with their parents! College was not like the "real world". No one really cared where you were "from". We were all in the same boat.

3. dashingscorpio profile image78
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

Yes, I had friends from various backgrounds while in college. Being on a huge university campus is similar to being at an "all inclusive vacation resort" in that the majority of people only see each other as fellow students or vacationers.
    While on campus we were pretty much in the same boat.
    A kid who is going to college on a scholarship, government grant, or student loan lives in the same dorms as those whose parents are paying for their child. I didn't come from a rich family but never had a problem making friends if I wanted to. I was a RA in charge of a dorm floor, on the judicial board, a member of a fraternity, and my college sweetheart was Miss Black Indiana back when there use to be a Miss Black America contest during the 70s. Even as a freshman I had friends who were in grad school working on their  Phd. During my youth and even now (personality and intellect) are the main determining factors on whether or not I choose to befriend someone.
    Naturally if we're not "running in the same circles" odds are we'll never meet. This goes back to my analogy of being on campus or on a resort. During that period it's almost like everyone is on a level playing field. We were all students, eating pizza, wearing jeans, partying, and enjoying the freedom of not having parents in our daily lives. My college years contained some of my most wonderful times. Maybe my experience of being at a Big 10 university is different from what it might have been like if I had gone to a private college or something along the lines of Harvard, Yale, Princeton, or Columbia where many students come from families with "old money". smile

4. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 9 years ago

My dorm roommates in college were from wealthy families. Doctors, lawyers, engineers etc. Everybody partied together like we knew each other for years. All races, both genders. Since everything was paid for, housing , meals etc., it was like everybody was rich. Everybody was friendly; students, professors, assistant instructors. Nobody cared what your background was. It was a college/town campus with 38,000 students enrolled.

5. gvalenoae777 profile image70
    gvalenoae777posted 9 years ago

I went to a career high school for agriculture so there were many types of people who went there for various reasons. This forced me to get used to and associate with people from all different kinds of ethnic groups and economic levels. I live in Queens New York, it is the most diversified borough and neighbourhood in the entire United States.
    In college where I went was more of one type of ethnic group and socioeconomic level. I was more like a fish out of water but my training in highschool prepared me for this. So yes and no and later I married someone who is cross culturally different from me.

6. profile image0
    Ethan Digby-Newposted 9 years ago

When I was in school, I had friends from all backgrounds.  As people grow older, at least I did, they tend to look less at the possessions or history of a person (i.e. money, status, birthplace, etc.) and more to who they are as a person.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)