Fun quiz: What is the non-gender-specific English word for one cow (or for one b

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Larry Fields profile image68
    Larry Fieldsposted 9 years ago

Fun quiz: What is the non-gender-specific English word for one cow (or for one bull)?

The plural form for more than one of these animals is “cattle.” Of course, you word sleuths could look it up in Wikipedia. But that would not be sporting, would it? smile

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12191017_f260.jpg

2. Tusitala Tom profile image64
    Tusitala Tomposted 9 years ago

The word 'bovine' springs to mind.  Look it up.  I haven't.  Pretty sure it's got to do with cattle and is, of course, non-gender.

1. lawdoctorlee profile image81
      lawdoctorleeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You got it, Tom!  Bovine - a member of the genus Bos.

3. connorj profile image70
    connorjposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12191109_f260.jpg

I believe the answer is already posted; bovine yet to me it is always beef and I hold no gender bias...

4. teamrn profile image61
    teamrnposted 9 years ago

'Sow' comes  to mind. But when I think about it I'm not really sure

1. profile image0
      Nadia Ribaduposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not "sow," because it refers--especially derogatorily these days, to a female swine.  I think the questioner said NON-gender words.  Besides, I don't think a sow is bovine but porcine.

5. gposchman profile image61
    gposchmanposted 9 years ago

I do believe bovine refers to the species, and might be the answer you are looking for.

As I read the various responses I found them interesting. I grew up on a ranch, next to a dairy. Mainly we dealt with horses, but we did have a cow, who did have a calf, that became a bull. The Dairy had cows. The auction house down the road sold horses, cattle, cows, and bulls. Nobody said anything about bovines except in use as a slur about ones mental capacity.

I believe steak is a reference to male bovines. I suppose dairy cows that have run the course might have been butchered, but I cannot honestly say. Cattle ranches have both male and female, but when speaking of an individual animal it was always a cow or a bull.

We may have here a true example of gender equality; in the sense when referring to an individual we say male of female, and when we refer to the group we use a term that is truly gender neutral.

I'm to sure how cats feel about their identity being usurped to refer to a large group of bovines. Shouldn't a herd of cats be cattle. I wonder with all the animal right groups out there their cause has not been taken up.

As a kid growing up, it was bulls, cows, and cattle for a group of animals. It was cow or bull for an individual, and I think it was because it was pretty clear what the individual was even at a distance. I never met anyone so out of it, that they tried to milk a bull (Reference to the way Robert Mitchum went in "What a Way To Go". And lets face it a matador yelling "Ha Vaca!" at a cow wouldn't have been much of a show.

Gene Poschman

6. profile image0
    Nadia Ribaduposted 9 years ago

"Bovine," for one, a "taurine," especially in the case of bulls.  You know, as in the sign Taurus.

7. alancaster149 profile image74
    alancaster149posted 9 years ago

'Kine' might be the word you're looking for. 'Kine' describes cattle in multiples or singular, it also encompasses wild cattle and buffalo - all hoofed creatures that chew the cud.

1. alancaster149 profile image74
      alancaster149posted 9 years agoin reply to this

'Bovine' is the adjective, or nature of cattle, 'kine' is the archaic plural still in use

8. Dr. Arthur Ide profile image65
    Dr. Arthur Ideposted 9 years ago

In the genus of Bos, a group of four-legged animals, there are cows. The adult male is the bull. The adult female is bovine. The male child is a calf. The female child is a heifer. It is wrong to term all "cows" except as a family nomenclature. The only female "cow" is a female dolphin.

It is sad that people have become philologically lazy.  Each species has subsets and all have distinctive names.

9. Larry Fields profile image68
    Larry Fieldsposted 9 years ago

The best word here is "Aurochs," also known by the scientific name, "Bos primigenius." The singular and plural words, "aurochs" and aurochs," are the same, as is the case with "sheep" and sheep."

The aurochs was the common ancestor of both European cattle, and of the Indian equivalent, "zebu."

One could split hairs, and argue that the aurochs -- had it not gone the way of the dodo -- should be classified as a separate species from cattle. Precedent: domesticated dogs (Canus familiaris) and their ancestor, the wolf (Canus lupus).

Thanks one and all. I'd like to add that it was very sporting of you to resist the temptation to take the Wikipedia shortcut.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)