Why do churches and the Bible have different standards? Both of men are they not

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 9 years ago

Why do churches and the Bible have different standards? Both of men are they not?

How can we condemn churches because they are of man and yet cite the Bible for this, which is also of man. (both can be divinely inspired) Condemnation of all churches because they are man lead seems totally inconsistent with history. I choose to read and accept what Paul says. Does that make me contrary to what Jesus taught? I do not thinks so. I choose to listen to sermons and consider them, does that make me less a Christian?

2. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 9 years ago

I am going to try to answer this.  I am not sure why the churches have a different datandard from what Jesus thought the church should be.  I do not partidcularly like Paul's teachings because they differ from what Jesus tells us to do.  Both can be divinely inspired.  The trouble comes when one church or leader or group in a church or denomination tells everyone else that they are the only church and have all of the truth.  It is when they convert (whch should not even exist today) others to thier beliefs.  It is as if they are playing the child's game of Red Rover.  None one owns another, period.  I listen to all views.  I have my own opinion too and fget into trouble when I voice my own opinion, especially if it does not equate with what another thinks about religion.  Sometimes I will even change my opinion...that is a shock to some eh?  It happens.  I was a different person 20 years ago than I am now and will be in the next 20 years...if I make it on this earth that long.
    Eric, I love your sermons.  I wish that I could write like you but am not asked to do it that way.  I have tired many times and it just does not come.  I do not condemn others, even if some think that I am by their standards.  I just try to open their eyes a little bit more and ot open their hearts and minds too.  Many things are not as they seem and there is always other sides of things.

Ericdierkerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If a "church" preaches that it is their way or the highway, I can get that. If they preach "our way or condemnation" I hit the highway. But I do not condemn all churches as some are upright and follow my thinking. That is just honesty.

2. Lady Guinevere profile image67
      Lady Guinevereposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hey I have some people on here that think they are all right and shove scripture down my throat.  I can read but I do not quote the same to them and they get mad at me.  That is not Christ-like at all. I don't care what church they are in.

3. profile image50
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

ED: I rejoice that you follow Paul's teachings consider Jer 31:33; Heb 8:10; 10:16 which says Paul's teachings were from God! Paul's teachings continued Jesus' teachings considering those Scriptures! After 1st CHURCH estab Acts 2:42!

3. celafoe profile image54
    celafoeposted 9 years ago

NO THEY ARE NOT BOTH OF MEN.   
    The scriptures were recorded at the behest of God by Godly men (there are so few of them then and today) that did as He directed.
    Paul NEVER referred to the church as a place where people meet God. he knew the difference and taught it, that the people of God are the church.   He gave instructions on what is to take place when the church "comes together", he never said when you go to church, he always says when you (the church) come together.    Yes some bible translations incorrectly say when they come to church, but the greek NEVER says that.   Paul understood that the church system of men between God and man was done away with at the cross.     And he clearly and distinctly tells us that the head of man is Christ and the Head of woman is man   (depending on her circumstances, her OWN husband or her father).   The law of Moses set up the old testament church structure and it, as the law was TEMPORARY.    in it man had to go through men to get to God , but when Jesus died and the veil was rent, God no longer required that man come to men to get to Him, He moved out of the temple into the temple not built with hands, the flesh and body called man and lives there with them.    We dont have to" go to church" to meet God because HE IS WHEREVER WE ARE AND WE HAVE DIRECT ACCESS TO HIM.    And when we come together (the church) then wherever we are He is there.
    Man because of their desire to "be in charge" have corrupted the way things are supposed to be (as usual) and have re-instituted the dead temple system, calling it the "church".      And it is as we call it the "church system of man", which God has no part in because He ended it with Jesus on the cross.    Ask 10 people if they are Christian and at least 8 of 10 that they are, answer by saying I belong to -----church.    Sorry but that makes them church goers and not" THE CHURCH".   
    SINCE THE SCRIPTURES SHOW THAT THE HEAD OF THE CHURCH IS CHRIST, any AND all" CHURCHES" that have a HEAD OF MAN are NOT of God according to proper understanding of the bible.
    As usual you throw in some spurious irrelevant information to confuse the issue.    History of mans polluting the church  has nothing to do with the truths of scripture.      You say you read and accept what Paul says, but you have told me on too many occasions that there are too many rules and you dont agree with rules, just your brand of sloppy love is whats important.    The words of Paul do not support that stance.

Are you saying that people should not gather together to worship? Or are you saying it is OK as long as they do not have a building? (not about leadership)

2. celafoe profile image54
      celafoeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

no problem in meeting together (the church) as long as no hireling pastor which means they are following the pattern of the defunct temple system.    they must follow 1Cor  14:26--  also seeTitus 1:5  & no building  $ is for care of people not th

3. Ericdierker profile image46

Your position is well laid out. I pastored for years and took not one farling except for Christmas gifts. But I am not as opposed to that as you are. But it is ripe for abuse and should be avoided. Taking care of those that minister seems OK.

4. celafoe profile image54

eric-  if you would like a detailed explanation read my hub
      the  true new testament tabernacle/  it gives all the scriptural backup

5. Lady Guinevere profile image67

Why follow Paul?  Not all pastors have taken that route Charlie.  What is wrong with the teachings that Jesus gave us all?

6. Ericdierker profile image46

Son asked: "what did Jesus eat?" Food like all men. "Where did He get it?" Donations. "where does our pastor get his food?" Donations. "What was Jesus's job?". Pastor/minister/rabbi. So is it Christ like to live off donations?

7. Lady Guinevere profile image67

Eric, Christ was in no way poor or needy or lived off of donations.  He worked for his food and he also  had a large human family that loved him very much though the Bible does not speak much of that.

8. Ericdierker profile image46

How do you know that?

9. Lady Guinevere profile image67

Eric look into the history and the other family members accounts.  His uncle was a ship builder and traveled all over the world.  Jesus went with him a few times and took his mother as well.  Hie did not make little boats.  He bought metals for Rome

10. Ericdierker profile image46

So they were donations from family. That is a distinction with no difference.

11. celafoe profile image54

eric- she knows because the voices in her head told her.   Her  beliefs certainly came from another spirit as the Holy Spirit never says such things

12. Lady Guinevere profile image67

Charlie is that all you know how to do is throw insults at people?  You know where that will get you eventually.  Eric, Jesus was a carpenter, he did not make tinker toys or did he?

13. Ericdierker profile image46

In "3" years of full ministry I know of no reference to him working as opposed to pastoring, ministering and teaching. Lady this point is not arguable.

14. profile image50
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Eric I Agree! The Disciples of Christ were asked by the Holy Spirit (JESUS) to sell their land and "donate" to CHURCH & u see what happened! (Acts 5:1-11). It's sad that MAN has shown greed n recving donations n the NAME of JESUS forming neg opin

4. neogenesis kai profile image60
    neogenesis kaiposted 9 years ago

the bible is a complex corpus of variegated and sometimes internally contradictory elements-not to mention apocryphal book contradistinction. When you build a house on this kind of thing, there is bound to be some type of eschatological backlash appearing  in social organizational efforts and communal identification with "judgment" like inclinations. It is very indicative of the fact that so many "denominations" exist at all. If they are of "men," then, by definition of the bible's own "teachings," it is prone to fallibility, i.e., mistakes, errors in judgment, misunderstanding, ignorance, as these lead to more nasty behaviors like; arrogance, prideful-ness, manipulation, deceit and so-on. Again, the foundation.

A very interesting answer. One worth reading at least twice and contemplating.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)