Who Do You Think Wrote The Epistle to the Hebrews?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (21 posts)
  1. PhoenixV profile image64
    PhoenixVposted 9 years ago

Who Do You Think Wrote The Epistle to the Hebrews?

Who do you think was the author of the Book of Hebrews, in the New Testament? And, what are the reasons why you believe they are the author?

2. Joseph O Polanco profile image43
    Joseph O Polancoposted 9 years ago

Authorship of this particular correspondence to the Hebrews has long been attributed to the apostle Paul. It absolutely was regarded as an epistle of Paul by early authors. Notably, the Chester Beatty Papyrus No . 2 ( P46 ) ( of about 200 C .E . ) includes Hebrews among nine of Paul’s texts, moreover Hebrews is outlined among “fourteen letters of Paul the apostle” in “The Canon of Athanasius,” of the fourth century C .E .

3. profile image0
    lambservantposted 9 years ago

Many scholars dispute Pauline authorship, but you can't deny that their is similar style, phraseology, and message. But there are also some very big differences. No one knows for certain. About the time I think it's Paul, then I go back to maybe not.  The difference could be his audience. Most of his epistles are to gentiles. This one is to the Jews, so it makes sense that he would write differently and with different emphasis and themes. Then again, in his epistles to the gentiles, he always identified himself as the author.

1. john000 profile image91
      john000posted 9 years agoin reply to this

"Although a few people today believe Paul wrote Hebrews, such as theologian R.C. Sproul, contemporary scholars generally reject Pauline authorship." Besides, Pauline never would have authored such a text in the 2nd century. It was a sexist time. (:

2. PhoenixV profile image64
      PhoenixVposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If not Paul, do you speculate on who might have written it?

4. lawrence01 profile image63
    lawrence01posted 9 years ago

Tradition has it that was the Apostle Paul but other writers have been suggested including Barnabas ans Apollos. Personally I would say Apollos and agree with Martin Luther
    The reason is that the writing is more eloquent than Paul's other letters so it's possibly not him but I can't see bananas writing Hebrews chapter six. Apollos had the theological training and was gifted as a communicator. He could have,penned the words but it was the Holy Spirit that authored the book

Is there an example of Apollos' writings, we could compare to? When you say the Holy Spirit authored the book, you mean the Bible in general or the book of Hebrews specifically?

2. lawrence01 profile image63
      lawrence01posted 9 years agoin reply to this

There's no writings from Apollos that we know of. But what we know of him is that he was articulate and had a good knowledge of the scriptures. Mine's only a personal opinion and i might mention it's what I think but i wouldn't teach it as doctrine.

3. PhoenixV profile image64

I was reading Acts:18: 24-26. And it seems that a few of the people that are speculated on being the author are there. Perhaps there are writings from some of these people and others like, Apollos, Aquila and Priscilla to compare to.

4. lawrence01 profile image63

As for the second part of the question I believe it's both but specifically the book of Hebrews written for that situation that we can't please God with just good works. "Without faith it's impossible to please God"

5. Rich kelley profile image61
    Rich kelleyposted 9 years ago

it doesn't say. I have written many things concerning the Kingdom of God, however I don't normally sign my name to the information I write. Today I give credit to a writer in case they want it, I don't want to be known as a thief. The concept of what has been freely given is to be given freely actually applied in the lives of early believers. 

There are some claiming Christians that have no problem charging for kingdom information so their name or pen name become very important. Not so in the Ekklesia of believers. Any gifting to build the body of Christ comes from the Father and is to be given freely. Christ gave all freely so we may choose to become His disciples.

The first thing people want to know when you say something they don't agree with is "where did you hear/get that?". As if the source of the information should change your acceptance or rejection. The book of Hebrews is accepted not because of who wrote it but because the contents have been tested by like minded believers and accepted. The book of Hebrews is accepted because it doesn't refute the writings of others that claim the same faith.

I don't know who wrote the writing to the Hebrews, but I suspect it was a believer in God the maker of heaven and earth, the Father of the man Jesus Christ. Not that it pertains to this question but we really don't know who wrote the fourth gospel known as the book of John, yet it is a favorite of many believers.

1. lawrence01 profile image63

Knowing who wrote a book can tell us a lot about where and why it was written.
      As for John's Gospel he clearly identifies himself as the Apostle John (John 21 verse 24 and the last supper discourse)

2. Rich kelley profile image61
      Rich kelleyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Agreed sometimes it is nice to know things but if they are not known that doesn't change what has been written.
      Joh 21:24 This is the disciple who testifies of these things, and wrote these things; and we know that his testimony is true.
      Clear?

6. The0NatureBoy profile image56
    The0NatureBoyposted 9 years ago

That question has been asked in many of the circles I've b e in and around but none has presented an answer I can believe, therefore, I choose to say I have no idea who wrote it.

I wanted to explore the ideas of other possible writers than what has normally and historically been offered. For instance, does Ecclesiastes sound like Hebrews?

7. PhoenixV profile image64

Instead of a more commonly suggested author, has anyone from history ever thought or has anyone ever considered in the past that the author might have been someone like Michael, or Elijah?

1. The0NatureBoy profile image56
      The0NatureBoyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would not think the Old Testament Elijah and I don't believe Michael would have.  The story of the OT Elijah was not written by him is why I don't believe he would be; no Biblical record of Michael except as an arch angel and they don't write.

2. PhoenixV profile image64

I agree with your assessment of those stated Mr. Elijah Alfred.  The Prophet Elijah doesn't seem to have the personality of Hebrews and I am not sure archangels write either. But I wanted to try to aid in expanding the possibilities by....More below.

8. PhoenixV profile image64

The age old question of who wrote the Book of Hebrews. read more

9. profile image0
    SirDentposted 9 years ago

I had never given any thought to who wrote Hebrews until I saw this question.  Since I first read this, I have been pondering on it. 

Hebrews is often called the faith book.  Many believe Paul to be the author and others don't.  I had always attributed it to Paul myself.  After pondering on it, I have come to a different conclusion.  Keep in mind, this is pure speculation on my part.

There was one young man to whom was written two letters by Paul.  His name is Timothy.  Paul mentioned the gift of faith that was given to this young man.  Timothy was a protege of Paul and Paul's influence would be upon him.

If you look at how the book ends, Heb 13:25  Grace be with you all. Amen...It is reminiscent of Paul's closing statement in nearly all of his letters.  I conclude that it was Timothy who wrote the book of Hebrews.

Hebrews makes mention of Timothy in Hebrews 13:23.  I like your reasoning and if I thought that Hebrews may have had a coauthor, possibly, Timothy would be someone to consider.  I like you are open to the possibility of Timothy. LeaveNostoneunturned

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)