Why is it that everyone believes that their religious beliefs are correct and ot

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Sharp Points profile image82
    Sharp Pointsposted 9 years ago

Why is it that everyone believes that their religious beliefs are correct and other people's aren't?

Even as an 'agnostic', I believe that my way of thinking is the correct way of comprehending the universe. I imagine that this is exactly how others feel about their religious beliefs. Why, if we are such an intelligent species, are we so loyal to a specific idea or philosophy that we are willing to reject any evidence that suggests it is a false belief, only to benefit our beliefs or "faith"?

2. Austinstar profile image83
    Austinstarposted 9 years ago

Some people can only believe what they have been told is the truth. They never question it, never for a moment can they accept that their parents lied to them about religion. (Even though they catch on about Santa and the Easter bunny, LOL)
    To imagine a universe not created by some magic guy in the sky is beyond most people's imaginations. You have to work and study to learn the truth and many people are just too lazy to do that.

Sharp Pointsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Right? I mean I understand why a person from a time before logic and science would believe it. It is the perfect explanation based on the amount of info they had to work with. We have so much more now though..

3. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 9 years ago

It gets pretty bad when you are of a certain religion and then find the truth and tell it all over and people pounce on you because the truth that they have been told is not the truth at all.  I consider myself to be a Christian because I follow and spread the words of Jesus who is mystical in his teaching.  The church and religions of today would rather use that as a sword to put others down because that is what they teach.  Anyone who differs from that "keep them in the dark" mentality is considered evil and for some reason...they do the opposite of what Jesus taught.  They also use things such as damnation because they are taught you must be better than anyone who believes or gets a different message from that book of books.  I am kind of on the fence right now with being Christian and agnostic.  Actually I am a bit both.  Christian because I follow Jesus and agnostic because I do not follow Paul and I do read other books about Jesus..and according to those who are religious that is a no-no.  Paul was put in there because of Roman Rule and those who follow him are not Christina, they are Paulean...big difference but they will fight you on that one too. 
    I don't fit your religious definitions and action of others.  I have read and studied all kinds of religions and none of them are 100% the absolute correct one.  There is truth in each and every one of them.  It is individualistic and they higher power will show itself in the way that the individual will comprehend it and that is as different as the colors of the rainbow.

1. Austinstar profile image83
      Austinstarposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think that is a very good way to describe this issue!

2. Sharp Points profile image82

I agree with Austinstar. I am not quite sure how to respond to this because you are most definitely a minority when it comes to your open mindedness. I have studied a few different faiths and/or ideals such as Christianity, Taoism, and Buddhism.

3. Lady Guinevere profile image67
      Lady Guinevereposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh there are lots more, Hindu, Jainisn, Polynsian and Islam.  Go to Religious Tolerance dot Org and they have a vast listing of all religions and even a chart for comparing the beliefs of each with other beliefs. Gnostic books on ReluctantMessenger

4. Link10103 profile image61
    Link10103posted 9 years ago

Because its easier to plug your ears and go "lalalalala" than it is to actually think for more than a minute.

Honestly, I can respect a persons decision to believe what they believe, however illogical and crazy I find it to be (and that's usually the reality of it, not just my personal opinion but I digress...), but the mental acrobatics I see people do to not only justify their beliefs but to completely crap on your own beliefs sometimes is just astounding.

Few examples. One person said that the similar Jesus stories that predate Christianity entirely was due to Satan time traveling and mimicking the bible. Keep in mind, she got this from a pastor who regularly preached to dozens of people.

Another one justified gods existence because he supposedly forewarned her of a lawsuit she would file (and win) against her job for sexual harassment that was due to her big boobs, which she thanks him for making bigger.

I don't know if I should be glad I have only run into similar people on the internet, or terrified of the day I run into one in real life.

Yeah I feel the same way. That's wild though, that's how they explained it on 'Religilous' as well haha just the devil being sneaky again.

5. Larry Rankin profile image89
    Larry Rankinposted 9 years ago

When we come to a conclusion, it is the best one we feel we have came to at that point.  That's a big factor in why we don't want to change our minds. We don't want to deal with the aggravation of changing our philosophies.

Great answer Larry!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)