What to do when child has toothache but no cavity?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (33 posts)
  1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 9 years ago

What to do when child has toothache but no cavity?

My 4 year old went to the dentist 3 months ago. She only had one cavity, on a molar, and they put one of those silver colored caps on it. 4 days ago she started saying that her mouth hurt around that molar. The next day she said it was a couple teeth closer to the front. I took her to the dentist yesterday and they said it can't be the cap and there are no other cavities so she's probably making it up. SHE ISN'T MAKING IT UP!! She woke out of her sleep 2 times last night saying her mouth hurt, crying her eyes out. What do I do if the dentist says there are no cavities and it isn't the cap?

2. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

I'd see a different dentist.  At 4, it might be a bit young, but if you can get her to oil pull with coconut oil and teach her how to do it without swallowing the oil, that works amazingly well against inflammation and mouth issues and keeps gums healthy.  My concern would be she has an infection under the gums and they aren't taking her seriously.  Getting a child that young to rinse or pull though could be a real challenge.  Good luck.  I'd definitely get another opinion.  The only other thing I can think of is a sinus infection - that can make your teeth hurt.

peeplesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks she has a cold, but her pain is on the bottom, so not the usual place for mouth pain with a sinus infection. They did xray and claim they see nothing. I guess a second opinion next week is a must.

ChristinSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Does she grind her teeth at night maybe? some people do that and it can cause mouth pain too just a thought? My six year old does it in his sleep and ugh... cringe. He doesn't get pain from it though and doesn't do it all the time, just when tense.

3. peeples profile image94

She does grind, so bad in fact we (dentist and I) were concerned about her teeth because they have all flattened out. I was wondering if maybe she just pressed down too hard and it has made it sore. they said she was too young for a mouthguard though

4. ChristinS profile image39

How long does he plan to let that go on? surely there's some kind of mouth guard that would be safe and stop her pain and keep her from ruining her teeth. Maybe he sees future $$.  I tend to be a cynic with most docs and dentists though -

5. peeples profile image94

Well she grinds front to back instead of justside to side so the concern is she would push it back into her throat. I agree it seems stupid to just hope it goes away, but he seems to think this is a phase (one that has happened since age 10mths lol).

3. Keisha Hunter profile image68
    Keisha Hunterposted 9 years ago

If she knows how to swish (you could teach her using plain water), then try mixing one part hydrogen peroxide with one part water and let her swish it for a minute. That should help the pain, but you still need the second opinion for the reason she's in so much pain.

Thanks. I actually had her swish last night and it did help for a couple minutes. I think the second opinion it key at this point.

2. LoisRyan13903 profile image61
      LoisRyan13903posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Salt  water works well too.  And talk to your pediatrician maybe she can recommend a pain killer appropriate for her age and teething gel.

4. GizSleep profile image56
    GizSleepposted 9 years ago

Might be a bit strange but when I was younger my Gran made me take a mouthful of vinegar, swirl it round and spit it out. Seemed to work for me for some reason.

Thanks. I have done that for myself, but I doubt I can get her to. She's picky about tastes.

2. GizSleep profile image56
      GizSleepposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not too sure I blame her! I can still taste the vinegar just thinking about it.

5. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 9 years ago

well Mom, it's certainly not the work from 3 months ago that is still hurting this poor child.  How insensitive to say she's fabricating!  Kids have fantasies, but certainly not about PAIN.  Gosh I hate it when kids are just brushed off.  Are her gums red or swollen?  For lack of another suggestion, I'd have to agree with Christin, if she continues to complain.Good luck,.   I hate it when kids are hurting!

The gums do not appear to be swollen or red, but multiple times today she has completely broken down crying in pain. It's sad and heartbreaking!!

sad good grief, so sorry that is happening. could something like some orajel or something like that help? maybe they have it for kids - like teething gel until you can get her to a better dentist. that sucks.

3. peeples profile image94

We have been putting the oral lidocaine (sp?) in her mouth that they gave her when she had the cap put on along with ibuprofen and Tylenol alternating. Far more meds than I like but none of them seem to work for long, just a few minute fix. sad

4. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Of course tomorrow is Sunday, so if she (or you!) can't hold on much longer, I would take her to the ER. Who knows what's going on, but a 4 yr. old in tears due to mouth pain, is too much! Poor baby Both of you will feel better if you go.

6. LongTimeMother profile image93
    LongTimeMotherposted 9 years ago

I have never seen 'silver' caps on children in Australia. I don't understand why a dentist would do that.

If it is made of aluminium, as I have read sometimes is used in the US, have it removed immediately. (We call it aluminium, you might call it aluminum.)

I think you should request a proper 'ceramic' filling - not one of those ghasly amalgam fillings made from a mixture of metals, usually including silver, tin, copper, zinc and mercury. They have dreadful health implications.

Can you work the phone and find a dentist in your local area who gives ceramic fillings? Explain that you want to avoid putting metals in her mouth.

I was horrified to see this story ...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … teeth.html

It is stainless steal, which is all our dental insurance will cover on baby molars. It does not cover ceramic on molars. If the pain continues I think I ham going to request they remove the tooth. She's pushing the metal into her gum I think.

7. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 9 years ago

good question. My son has 2 teeth shaking and pain but those are milk teeth, no cavities either. He shook himself and I pull them out after 1 month. Maybe it is the gum pain under the teeth. I have this problem too, feeling as if toothache but nothing. Try to use kids pain killer to relieve the gum pain

Thanks, I am starting to think it is gum pain.

8. Besarien profile image73
    Besarienposted 9 years ago

It could be a sinus problem- like allergies or an infection. A lot of people have sinus cavities which extend very close to the roots of their teeth. If the dentist can't find a problem a doctor might.

9. bravewarrior profile image87
    bravewarriorposted 9 years ago

I'm really surprised the dentist put in a silver filling. That practice went out decades ago! I'd take her to another dentist. In the meantime, rub clove oil on the areas that hurt. It'll give her temporary relief until you can get a second opinion.

Thanks! I looked this morning at her paperwork and it is actually stainless steal.

10. Sparklea profile image61
    Sparkleaposted 9 years ago

Peeples: I am the poster child/adult for tooth problems.  When I have had bad toothaches with fillings, no cavities, I usually end up with a root canal because the tooth is dying.  I also agree with suggestions to take her to another dentist.  But awful toothaches result UNDER the cap...also the root could be abscessed.
    Did they do an x-ray?
    I have never had a toothache from a cavity or a cap.  I believe something else is going on. 
    I hope this helps, so sorry your four year old is suffering.  Sparklea

Thanks, they did do an xray and found nothing. After a lot of thought I really think her grinding is rubbing the metal into her gums resulting in pain when she bites down or grinds. Seems a little better today, thankfully!

11. CJMcAllister profile image77
    CJMcAllisterposted 9 years ago

A toothache is a miserable experience for anyone, but especially for a child. These tips can help you take care of your little one the next time they have a toothache, no matter what its cause. read more

12. M. T. Dremer profile image84
    M. T. Dremerposted 8 years ago

It could also be bruxism (teeth grinding). I have it and, if I don't wear some sort of bite guard while I sleep, I wake up with tooth aches. I'm not sure how common it is in children (if at all) but it's another possibility that wouldn't be cavity-related.

1. bravewarrior profile image87
      bravewarriorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

M. T., I was a tooth-gritter as a very young child. Your comment is valid and something Peeples should look into.

Peeples, does your daughter grind her teeth? It's not something that only happens in the sleep state. It's a reaction to stress.

13. tamarawilhite profile image85
    tamarawilhiteposted 8 years ago

The doctor may not have cleared out the cavity, and now it is growing worse, under the cap. I personally had a dentist fill a cavity and not excavate enough, causing this situation and requiring the filling to be replaced.
    Of course the dentist doesn't want to admit a mistake like THAT.

Another possibility is that heat and cold sensitivity has developed on that tooth, because of the cap.

Or there is an infection in the mouth separate from that cap, like an abscess, or a different cavity around the roots.

Pain that severe is almost never faked by kids.

Take your kid to a different dentist and get it checked out.

14. profile image53
    Rianne777posted 4 years ago

Try clove oil. It helps wonderful. You can put it on her index finger and she can put it next to her hurting teeth. Let her taste it first to she knows how it tastes.

Besides that I would go for a second opinion after all you know your child and they don't.

15. Diana Lee profile image75
    Diana Leeposted 4 years ago

She is not making it up. I never had a tooth ache until after I had fillings. Try an oral gel like they use for teething babies. It also works well for big people.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)