Are you in favor of or against the legalization of marijuana?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (21 posts)
  1. cougsam profile image61
    cougsamposted 9 years ago

Are you in favor of or against the legalization of marijuana?

As a citizen of Washington State, one of two states with legal marijuana, I'm curious where everyone else is on this issue. In my humble opinion, I think it's time to stop needlessly locking up non violent "criminals" and end this war on drugs. Legalizing marijuana would also likely end the use of the dangerous synthetic marijuana and take some of the power away from the violent drug cartels in Mexico. Thoughts?

2. Jeremy Gill profile image91
    Jeremy Gillposted 9 years ago

I agree, Sam, I believe it should be legalized. The research I've found suggests marijuana is less dangerous than alcohol or cigarettes - yet those are the legal substances. Seems unfair to arrest people who get high, but not those who get drunk. Additionally, if a "sin" tax were placed on the drug (like the tax with cigarettes), the government could make some substantial money from marijuana. You've already made the points about synthetic marijuana and drug cartels, and I definitely agree. If people want marijuana's influence in their lives, who are we to stop them?

1. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I do not know, and if you do, please tell me, how you measure the short and long term of all three items. I know two. I will wait for an answer about the other.

3. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 9 years ago

Stepping beyond the singular question of marijuana legalization and taking into account ALL illegal drugs, it might be an idea to legalize the lot - then tax the Beejeebuz out of 'em all.   This, in concert with a massive educational program as to the harmful effects of same, would probably - in the longer term - bring down and, hopefully, eradicate them all simply because they're no longer be in demand.

If the demand isn't there, the supply would simply fizzle out.

In the Western World smoking tobacco is already in major decline.  The same could be done with marijuana and, eventually and systematically, all illicit drugs.

The organized crime syndicates wouldn't be happy.   But the physical, mental and spiritual health of the entire world would go up a peg or two.

1. Besarien profile image74
      Besarienposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree with regulation. My son is 14. He is smart enough not to do drugs. He tells me the hardest things for his classmates to get hold of are cigarettes and alcohol. No one cards for marijuana or LSD.

2. cougsam profile image61
      cougsamposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Portugal decriminalized all drugs around 2000 and has become a pretty good case study for this idea. I haven't read enough about it to make a judgement but I think I lean toward regulation like you say.

3. profile image0

No one cards for stolen money. If the drug is illegal, the assumption is made that no one is going to admit to it..Carding prevents children from buying liquor and cigarettes. There us no need to card if you do not sell the product.

4. Besarien profile image74
    Besarienposted 9 years ago

I don't and never have used marijuana or any other illegal drugs. I do drink beer and wine and occasionally have been known to take a Tylenol.

I do think it is silly to put people in prison for using any herb or mushroom or flower how ever they want so long as they do no harm to other people with them. Yes I realize that having a parent addicted to say opium would be harmful for kids, but so is having a parent addicted to Budweiser.

Addiction is a personal condition and should be treated as such. People get addicted to binge eating. It doesn't mean we should illegalize food.

That's a very good point on binge eating. With heart disease being the largest cause of death in the US you could make a pretty good case that fast food like McDonald's is worse for someone than Marijuana.

2. profile image0

Another problem is dosage. Is all marijuana created equal. How will it be tested. Will driving under the influence include pot, if so, at what THC level are you impaired.

5. pagesvoice profile image73
    pagesvoiceposted 9 years ago

It is a known fact that medical marijuana helps countless people with a myriad of medical conditions. As mentioned, our jails and prisons are full of people who sold or were caught using marijuana. Yet, drunk driver's still get behind the wheel of cars, even when their licenses have been revoked and continue to kill innocent people every single day. Perhaps if marijuana was legalized and sanctioned by the federal government we would see a noticeable decline in nasty/dangerous meth labs and the deadly use of heroine. Then again, as a product of being a teenager in the 1960s, what in the world would I know about this subject?

1. profile image0

I was also a teen in the 60s. I worked in a drug store and saw people addicted to uppers, downers, narcotic cough syrup. Back then, drug stores had a license to sell marijuana. It required an official stamp on the package. The law was cleaned up.

6. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 9 years ago

I need someone to define legalization.
    A. Anybody and everybody can grow or use as much as they please.
    B. It will never be considered as a factor in a traffic accident.
    C. Homegrown marijuana will never have any toxic substances added to increase the growth.
    D. There will be no age limit.
    E. There will be no regulations to control quality, quantity, possible interaction with other legal and illegal drugs.

I have never used marijuana and do not intend to. I expect national legalization will happen someday, after many issues like I listed are answered.

I do not want to live in a freewheeling society where police, firemen, ambulance drivers, doctors, nurses and others are high while they are doing their jobs.

Legalization with reasonable regulations can work. Open legalization like many seek would be very harmful.

I think most people expect regulations and rules against impaired driving. As far as growth substances, age limits and quality control go legalization would be a massive improvement. You think illegal growers are concerned about these things?

2. profile image0

No, I think they are totally ignoring the issues. If marijuana is ever legalized it at best will be treated as an over-the-counter meds, just like those used to make meth. No tax dollars will be saved prosecuting users. There will be regulations.

7. BilliJean1990 profile image60
    BilliJean1990posted 3 years ago

I don't know, maybe someone will be interested in my story, I can assume that some people do not know universal things about the legality of the transportation of special substances. We all understand what this is about. I found an interesting article about the fact that you can carry some substances with you up to a certain amount, for example, recently I purchased kratom caps in special capsules for personal use in order to comply with the legality of movement and not only. There were no problems, only some for some reason do not pay attention to the country's requirements. My parents used to hang out with similar things and I was warned from an early age about the consequences, so I became more circumspect in matters.

8. Viktor1z profile image56
    Viktor1zposted 3 years ago

I support this idea, but only if cannabis will be used for medical purposes. It's so hard sometimes when you know that cannabis is the only thing that can help you, but it's not legal. I have anxiety and panic attacks, and I've tried many things, medicaments, but only smoking helps. Sometimes I order seeds from https://herbiesheadshop.com/cannabis-se … ible-seeds and grow plant myself. I don't always have time to do it, but as a result, I get quality strains and can finally make my life and health better.

1. profile image56
      FreddyWhitfieldposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I also agree with you but unfortunately, many people don't know how much benefits cannabis can have. Even my grandmother uses cannabis oil in order to deal with her chronic pain. You should read this article about the benefits; https://www.zamnesia.com/blog-the-benef … nnabis-n31 it even included some I didn`t know. But people also have to keep in mind CBD is an important part of cannabis, the strains we have nowadays usually contain less then 1%.

9. bhattuc profile image84
    bhattucposted 3 years ago

This is an old discussion but still as fresh as a new matter. Legalising will at least bring some revenue for the Govt.

10. emge profile image78
    emgeposted 3 years ago

There are serious implications involved especially for developing and poor countries like India and countries in Africa. As an example 40% of the Indian population as per government of India figures is below poverty line and whatever revenue may be generated by legalizing marijuana is not going to make a dent in the level of poverty. On the contrary it will have a very deleterious effect on the poor people who may start taking marijuana to escape from the travails of daily life this will have serious implications on their health. That is the reason narcotics are banned and they should continue to be so..

1. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Emge, my most polite response would be that you seem to support government control of what 'you' think is right. Whether that is relative to drugs or personal behavior.

I don't have the knowledge to address your Africa/India references, but as a non-political and non-national perspective, I think your anti-pot thoughts could use some scrutiny. As in, what are the benefits vs. detriments of legalization? Jail more people vs. accept reality and move forward. Stick with the anti-drug dogma that has cost billions and hundreds of thousands of lives vs. legalize what people are going to do anyway and profit from it—both financially through taxes, and societally through more credible diversion policies.

Sticking with the topic—it's pot for Christ's sake. How many serial killers are pot addicts? How many drunk drivers, (intoxicated), are pot-drunk?

My opinion is simple. Pot is much less harmful than alcohol. Does your nation ban alcohol? If so, how is that working for you? We Americans were subjected to the proof of this thought with our attempt at prohibition.

Why do you think the government, (any government), should have the authority to regulate what you put into your body?

GA

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)