Why do some people actually contend that the bible is the word of God when any l

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (55 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

Why do some people actually contend that the bible is the word of God when any logical

person knows that the bible has been interpreted, reinterpreted, written, rewritten, and even altered by men according to the suited purposes of the religious authorities at a particular time?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12375791_f260.jpg

2. Kiss andTales profile image61
    Kiss andTalesposted 8 years ago

Simple just because your picture is copied does not mean it is not you, even though the quality of the picture may be poor.
    it is still you.
    the quality of copies of translations have been poor through the years, but the important theme of its purpose has not been lost and had been delivered into the world of of generations .
    rather people accept or not it is up to them.

1. Kiss andTales profile image61
      Kiss andTalesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Again Jehovah witnesses are not an occult but somebody telling people what  to think , and beliefs in magic would be  a.idea of one.
      Jesus preach  and  preached publicly, I follow  his steps, occults are private , not public witnesses Read Dictionary

2. Austinstar profile image83
      Austinstarposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I didn't say "occult", I said "cult". JW's are a cult,  in my opinion.

3. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

JW are beyond a cult.  THEY are something else out of this world. JWs are strange beyond compare.

4. Austinstar profile image83

I totally agree with you Grace!

5. Kiss andTales profile image61

I am glad you said opinion because that is all it is.
      I find it very strange when people try to stop people from learning the truth about a matter. Out of the many religions in the world , they attack something they know nothing about. Must be truth.

6. Austinstar profile image83

Here is your truth - from a fellow JW! Why do you assume you are the only one that thinks they know "the truth"? http://darrinhart.hubpages.com/hub/Jeho … -Hypocrisy

7. Kiss andTales profile image61

Austin you do not believe in God, and yet you want people to believe
      You care about the subject , you dont, Jesus was betrayed by Judas
      And there are many more like him. That did not stop other deciples from loving Jesus or Jehovah. Who do you love.

8. Say Yes To Life profile image80
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Rather than pick on one denomination (JW, SDA, etc.) my issue is with Christianity itself. It wasn't the JWs who annihilated the natives in the Americas and polluted nature! And why could Jesus heal lepers, but not my nervous disorder?

9. Austinstar profile image83

You are righ, Yoleent Christianity is the abomination.

10. Kiss andTales profile image61

YL yes Jesus could do many things including healing people

New World Translation
      Ps 145:16 You open your hand And satisfy the desire of every living thing
      there will come his Full time of Rulership and he will be opposite of this one under satan.

3. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

It's a challenge to let go of or question beliefs that were instilled in them from early childhood. A central component of faith involves ignoring the appearance and logic of circumstances.
    Anyone who seriously studies how the bible came to be and by that I mean the whole canonization process of how which books/scriptures were {selected to be included or left out} would have to question the motives of these men of their time.
    These guys were (human beings) like minsters today.
    One of the reasons there are so many denominations within Christianity is because various groups disagree with various renditions of the bible.
    Then there are stories that either make no logical sense or unbelievable even within the context of the biblical world. Just to name a few:
    Genesis 1:26 God creates man with (help)
    26 And God said, Let {us} make man in {our image}, after [our likeness]:

Genesis 11:5-7 Explanation of the existence of foreign languages. According to the (legend) mankind had started to build the Tower of Babble to {reach from earth to Heaven}. (Mind you this was without any of the heavy equipment we have today or space suits with oxygen to survive once the tower would have reached out into space towards the moon...etc

5 And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.

6 And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.

7 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech
    Genesis 32:28 God loses a wrestling match to Jacob
    28 And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.
    Exodus 20:13 "Thou shalt not kill."
    Exodus 32:27-28 God orders Moses to kill
    27 And he said unto them, Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbor
    28 And the children of Levi did according to the word of Moses: and there fell of the people {that day} about (three thousand men).
    In order to believe "everything" in the bible one has to suspend logic/rationale and consistency but mostly you have to believe these (men) who wrote it did so without an agenda.
    God made man and man made religion.

1. Austinstar profile image83

The Bible: "It is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies." Mark Twain tells the truth about it.

2. dashingscorpio profile image80
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree. It's actually one of the most fascinating books ever written! Even non-believers can gleam some worthwhile information concerning the inner workings of mankind and our shortcomings throughout the various fables just as in Greek Mythology

3. Austinstar profile image83

Sure, if you read it like it is fiction like a novel.

4. gmwilliams profile image83

Second best answer.

5. dashingscorpio profile image80

Grace, You're killing me! Second best is the "first loser". LOL!
      Great question by the way!

6. Kiss andTales profile image61

Also YL  what is truth ? The one who created truth is the one who will Judge truth, we are the ones who have to make sure we want to know it genuinely an take action.
      All religions do not add up to truth. But the one Jesus validated still exist.

4. Austinstar profile image83
    Austinstarposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12376298_f260.jpg

There is significant evidence from all biblical scholars to note that the original bible was written in Greek, Latin and Aramaic, and perhaps a smattering of other dialects.
    Seriously, if a god wrote or inspired the books of the bible, then he could easily have written the words in stone in all known languages and perhaps put these tablets somewhere safe where they could be easily read and understood by all, The original words would have been preserved by people appointed by this perfect god and would be available to anyone and everyone.
    Instead, these "books" are fragments of papyrus paper that have been scattered here and there throughout time until some council of men got together and said, "Wait, we need to collate and translate and interpret these bits of paper". And they proceeded to do so according to the politics and culture of their time. Then those that could actually read and had money decided that they should be the stewards of this collection of history and they commissioned newer adaptations that fit their ruling class world.
    Then, the printing press came along and it was affordable magic. Although people still couldn't read very well, if at all. The middle class could at least pretend to be able to afford a "real" book. And books were more or less works of art then, not the inerrant word of god himself.
    But the golden rule kicked in, Those who have the gold, make the rules. And that is how the modern bible became a legend in the minds of men.
    But seriously, if you just sit down and read the bible, you will find that it is 90% myth and legend. The rest is some kind of attempt to frighten people into worshipping "god" who, as it turns out, is really just the ruling class. And they do this with gory details of stoning people, cutting them in half, having them swallowed up by whales, or some other ill-defined peril.
    It's a horrible book. When my mother died, she left me her precious bible (that she had never read). I have read it and found it to be worthless, as literature, or a moral guide, or comedy or anything! This group of books has no redeeming qualities at all. I literally threw it out in the trash.
    The Christian bible has to be the worst book next to the Quran which only became popular for the same irrational reasons as the bible did.

1. gmwilliams profile image83

Excellent answer.  You come up with the most logical answers.  I also like your questions. Keep up the excellent work!

2. Austinstar profile image83

Whoa! Thanks! I simply think that the bible has been WAY overindulged by mankind. People been taught to ignore other books of knowledge over this overtrumped piece of literary disaster. It is NOT the be all, end all of what a book can be!

3. gmwilliams profile image83

It is tragically comic how the bible is taken so seriously.  I find other works of literature to be far superior than the bible.  I never took the bible seriously & when I tell others that, they look at me as if I am possessed.

4. dashingscorpio profile image80

"Wait, we need to collate and translate and interpret these bits of paper". And they proceeded to do so according to the politics and culture of their time.) -Very true!
      Religion was used much like government to control the masses with rules.

5. Kiss andTales profile image61

I must say I do not read every book , published, even every hub written on HP.
      But if a book was written to cure everything and return the people I lost in death with a grantee or promise. To reverse old age , I would be interested in that book,

6. Austinstar profile image83

Wow, KandT, so would we! What is this magic book?

7. dashingscorpio profile image80

Kiss and Tales,
      Such a book would outsell "50 Shades of Grey"! smile
      Everyone wants a guarantee! However I suspect like everything else there is no "one size fits all". What may work for you might not work for others and so on. That's life!

8. Kiss andTales profile image61

the Bible is still the best selling book and long running of all time.
      Are there real promises in it ? Yes the best kind, that we can be happy about.
      Rev 21:4 death no more.
      Joh 5:28 graves open family back
      Isaiah 65:22 build homes on free land

9. Kiss andTales profile image61

Job 33:25 Let his flesh become fresher than in youth;
      Ps 103:5 So that your youth is renewed like that of an eagle. 
      Tit 1:2 and is based on a hope of the everlasting life that God, who cannot lie, promised long ago

10. Austinstar profile image83

Best selling book on amazon - Harry potter and the deathly hallows.  Jk rowlings books have almost surpassed the bible wold wide in just the last 15 years. Thay are about magic too!

11. Kiss andTales profile image61

I am talking about a book surviving generations,  no Harry potter can beat the years. Also writings that were in scrolls and cuneiforms, and Greek codex , certainly survived despite those who would try to put an end to it.

5. MonkeyShine75 profile image61
    MonkeyShine75posted 8 years ago

The Jewish bible which is the Tanakh, hasn't been changed since it was put together.

True and you will not find hell fire of torment .but translators rewrite and change definitions. Like some one rewrites another person's good Hub story and changes some words that may restructure a thought
      That is what he'll has done to sheol , hades

2. MonkeyShine75 profile image61
      MonkeyShine75posted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's true. Hell to the Hebrews is the grave, and not a place with fire. Not until the NT was hell fire ever mentioned (inserted) in the bible

6. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years ago

Austinstar - as a former conservative Christian turned agnostic, due to flashbacks from joining a Christian cult and putting my life in danger as a result, your answer slugged me in the solar plexus!
    Other bibles, besides the Christian one, exist.  The holy scriptures of Buddhism and Confucianism were written by their founders, based on observations of human nature and the world around them.  Though I have yet to read any of them, I think it's a safe bet they hold great validity.  Buddhism is the only major world religion with no history of holy wars, and Confucianism presented to the world the concept of leadership through merit rather than bloodline.

1. Austinstar profile image83

Yes, the book itself became "magic". It isn't. It's just the first book ever printed by movable type that became a tool for the ruling class to lord over the serf class. They couldn't read, but the "Godly" class sure could interpret it to serve them.

2. Kiss andTales profile image61

You may have a tool that is very helpful and serve a purpose like a power staple gun. Fast , effective,  , but what happens if a person starts to throw it around , or even handle it wrong, bad results even danger of life. The Bible the same way.

3. Say Yes To Life profile image80

K&T - the Christian Bible has a lot of good things in there, but if I'm going to be honest, it isn't perfect, and no religion has the right to declare itself Absolute Truth.

4. Kiss andTales profile image61

To YL. The bible  is the  inspired of God , but the many translations are the ones who have caused a problem. They have caused many to be confused. Yet what the message and theme is has been successfully carried out. Many do not know it or care to.

5. Say Yes To Life profile image80

K&T - a perfect, all-knowing God can communicate clearly in ALL languages.

6. Kiss andTales profile image61

Yes YL he created all language.  From when the tower of babel was built,  so that people would migrate to different parts of the earth.

7. Austinstar profile image83

Yoleen, KT is an apparent cult member, I would suggest that you keep that in mind when trying to communicate with her. I think she is Jehovah Witness.

8. Kiss andTales profile image61

Also Austin you are giving advise about things you do not know.
      I think she is , is not enough reason to say and tell people what to do
      You use info of another's experience ,and say that is what I am , what kind of person is that who stoops so low !

9. Say Yes To Life profile image80

K&T - I just noticed your comment on DashingScorpio's reply. "What is Truth?" Mankind is still trying to figure out that one. Confucius rose from peasant class to leader w/o Christianity, and showed others how to do it. It helps Asians in the US

10. Kiss andTales profile image61

Thank you gWilliams  for the complement , Jesus was like no other,  he was the walking truth, loved by many  , and also hated for speaking the truth. The message Jesus and we  preach is of happiness, and a better future   sickness and death  will end

11. Austinstar profile image83

Yes, JWs ARE a cult! http://mandyjones.hubpages.com/hub/YES- … ARE-a-cult Told from the inside.

12. Kiss andTales profile image61

Austin we are not I should know.
      But you who is trying to bad mouth what you do not know.
      We do not believe in magic.But you do , through the dream catcher, you believe in the spider woman and dreams . Never once since I been on HP encourage anyone.

13. Austinstar profile image83

I'm pointing out hubs written by JWs - Do you think they do not "know" what is going on? And no, I don't believe in "spider woman" it is just a myth. Like all of the "gods". They are just myths and legends.

14. Kiss andTales profile image61

That is what the dream catcher does and you support it. Anyone can read the belief of it.but now you say you do not , I do not believe you.
      You do not believe me. Stop spreading slander and hate Austin it is not called for.

15. Austinstar profile image83

How am I spreading "slander and hate"?

16. profile image0
      Stargrrlposted 8 years agoin reply to this

K&T - Some people don't know any other way.

17. Kiss andTales profile image61

New World Translation
      Lu 6:45 A good man brings good out of the good treasure of his heart, but a wicked man brings what is wicked out of his wicked treasure; for out of the heart’s abundance his mouth speaks.
      What we say make this truth.

7. profile image0
    Joshtheplumberposted 8 years ago

Because... The bible was originally the word of a particular God. A being of extra-terrestrial origin. One of many.

Very interesting and true  We know that a man life span can not live long enough to receive bible prophesy and see the out come because it's fulfilled past his life span, the point is man can not control fulfillment Yet it is carried out

2. profile image0
      Joshtheplumberposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that is interesting. The general contention is that these elaborate plots are carried out over centuries by people passing knowledge of it down over the ages. I suspect there is a very very old person hiding somewhere. Not necessarily human.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)