Why do so many people choose to not vaccinate their children?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)
  1. JennyDelToro profile image59
    JennyDelToroposted 8 years ago

Why do so many people choose to not vaccinate their children?

2. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 8 years ago

Because the Internet is full of pseudoscience and people who think reading information online makes them just as knowledgeable as people who spend years and years learning about it in an academic/professional setting.

Because people are skeptics and cynics and think that Big Pharma wants to poison millions of children so that they can wipe their butts with money.

Because most of us don't know what it's like to live in a world where a highly contagious disease has a freaking 20%+ chance of killing their kid and don't understand that it's ON US to make sure that our kids don't have to live in that world with THEIR kids.

Because it's like a cool little club where people pretend to be smarter and better at critical thinking than the rest of the world.

I'm all for doing actual research using credible sources but these days reading biased websites and quoting statistics from poorly conducted self-report surveys is considered research and unfortunately a lot of people don't know any better.

3. Stephanie Cruz1 profile image61
    Stephanie Cruz1posted 8 years ago

I feel like the main reason is Because there were some controversies over weather or not vaccines cause autism and there are studies that prove that it doesn't but of course, people want to believe the internet. I guess parents would rather have a dead or sick child than an autistic one which is a shame.

4. annefleurdekker profile image60
    annefleurdekkerposted 8 years ago

A lot of parents don't vaccinate out of religious believes.

5. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 8 years ago

Have you ever been watching tv and a commercial come on for a medicine? At the end of that commercial someone starts talking really fast listing off a mile long list of possible side effects with one of them being death EVERY time. Now think about that commercial being one for a vaccine for your child. Sadly though child vaccines don't have to advertise on commercials because we are basically forced into giving them to our children like it or not. They don't have to market to anyone because the money is guaranteed. I don't know about you, but when I hear those commercials I cringe a bit with the idea that death or uncontrollable stools is a possible side effect. As a mother of 3 it has always put me on edge to give ANY medicine to my children.
    With that said, 2 out of my 3 children are up to date on vaccines. My youngest was one of the small percent of children to have an adverse reaction. When she got her 6 month shots she spiked a very high fever, became lethargic, broke out with a rash all over her body, and had to be admitted to the hospital.  She is now 4 and has not received any more vaccines (other than one flu shot a couple months ago) since she was 6 months. I have no intention of risking her life when we know she had a bad reaction before. We will try again before she starts school.
    It is not my job to judge parents, but I do think just like we do for ourselves, we should weigh the option and do what is best for our children. For some that means vaccinations, for others it means not getting them.

6. Kirsty O profile image69
    Kirsty Oposted 8 years ago

Because for whatever reason people always tend to believe the bad stuff over the good. One incredibly flawed study that was later retracted by the author linked the MMR vaccine to autism and no matter how many studies proved it wrong and no matter how many times the person that wrote the paper admitted they were completely wrong and their research design was terrible, people believe the original flawed study over the mountain of research to the contrary.

People also talk about mercury in vaccines when its not been in most of them since 2001 and the amounts that were in them before that were less than harmless.

The only legitimate concern as far as vaccines are concerned is an egg allergy (or an allergy to any of the ingredients) as there is egg protein in some vaccines.

Diseases we had all but eradicated are coming back in massive outbreaks because people are refusing to vaccinate their children. Its the poor kids who are unvaccinated that suffer and given that some of these diseases can be fatal I dont understand why people wouldn't give a readily available vaccine to their child, rather than take the risk that they wont get sick. I also think that a lot of people dont realise how serious some of these illnesses can be because you never really heard that much about them for years because most people were vaccinated so they weren't a problem, now that they are coming back perhaps people will realise that they should vaccinate their children to prevent them getting these horrible illnesses.

However its also not up to me to tell people what to do with their own children. I just wish that people would do some real research before making a decision, there is plenty of impartial research out there easily available on the internet. Then parents can make an informed decision as to what they want to do with vaccines, and that decision needs to be respected, as long as its an informed one.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)