What are the ways that forcing religion on children is psychologically, even psy

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

What are the ways that forcing religion on children is psychologically, even psychically damaging

and abusive? Children have the right to choose the religion they'd like to be or choose not to belong to a religion.  Children can be taught moral and ethical principles bereft of religious indoctrination.  All religion does is to induce guilt, self-doubt and inferiority in children, destroying their precious self-confidence, judgement, intellectual curiosity, and joie de vivre.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8261937_f260.jpg

2. Austinstar profile image84
    Austinstarposted 8 years ago

As a child, I can remember sitting in class scared out of my mind that the "Rapture" and "Armageddon" were about to happen Any Day Now!
    I also was made to feel dirty, unclean, filthy, wretched, and a sinner. I was told on a daily basis that unless I prayed to Jesus every day and begged for forgiveness for every "impure" thought, that I would go to a burning pit of hell.
    I didn't even know what an "impure" thought actually was. And when I asked, I was immediately told that every living being on the planet has "impure" thoughts - just for being born!
    Everybody was a sinner, unclean, wretched, filthy and basically everyone was going straight to hell if they survived the rapture or Armageddon.
    God hated humans. They sinned against him by eating from a fruit tree thousands of years ago and this crazy god just couldn't forgive humans for doing so - EVER! Everybody was cursed!
    As a child, I could never be good enough, pretty enough, or saved enough. Saved from what? A murderous, vengeful, jealous, unforgiving god? We're supposed to worship this THING just for giving us life, for creating us, then punishing us forever? What a stupid concept to expect a child to understand.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Not a stupid concept but an EGREGRIOUSLY EVIL one.  Many people HATE religion because it was FORCED upon them as children.  Religion should NEVER EVER be FORCED upon children.  Children have beautiful free natures which is tainted by religion.

2. Austinstar profile image84
      Austinstarposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Children are curious sponges and this should definitely be handled with care!

3. Kiss andTales profile image61
    Kiss andTalesposted 8 years ago

Many people are raised up in what the household set as its beginning. but just as a bird leaves the nest he must fend for himself
    learn the truth if who the Father really is, What ever you learned at home was passed down , does not mean that is the absolute truth either , but when you can stand alone and make decisions of your own then you are responsible for your beliefs.

4. Amanda108 profile image87
    Amanda108posted 8 years ago

Why do you often state your opinions as facts, using the Questions section to do so? I've asked this before and have not received an answer.

You've made a HUGE generalization here, and a very offensive one at that. I could just as easily start a sentence with, "All atheism does is...", "All black people...", "All internet writers are just..." Surely you see how problematic that would be? It's what you're doing here.

I was raised in a Lutheran church and did not suffer any of the accusations you carelessly throw about here. I don't appreciate having someone tell me what my life was like. I'm sure actual survivors of religiously-motivated abuse don't appreciate having their situations equated to everyday child-rearing that happens to involve religion.

Now, to address the points you seem to want to discuss:

First you have to define what "forcing" religion on someone means. Eventually a child will grow and no matter what their life has been like up to that point, it's typical for a young adult to start questioning the world around them and their own minds. And contrary to unfortunate popular belief, children are individually thinking beings. Unless extreme brainwashing techniques were employed, the child was not "forced" to believe anything.

The child was raised with the parents beliefs. Religion certainly isn't the only aspect of life in which this occurs. The child will grow up surrounded by their parents bad habits, good habits, political stances, any prejudices they may have, general world views, and so on. Once you mature, however, you're responsible for thinking for yourself. You can easily learn about the world around you and come to your own opinion, including choosing a different religion or no religion.

But as stated, of course children are raised in the same religion as their parents - it's just logical. Again: the above examples. They may be "forced" to go to church, for example, but they would also be forced to go to the grocery store, to their grandparents' house, to school. A young child legally can't stay home alone.

Most parents will indeed teach their children the beliefs they themselves have. It's part of parenting, to raise your child up the best you can and in the manner you feel is right. Then the child leaves the nest and uses or loses those lessons by living his or her own life. But if teaching is forcing then obviously school needs to be outlawed...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)