How do you articulate waxing and waning of the moon?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)
  1. m abdullah javed profile image75
    m abdullah javedposted 8 years ago

How do you articulate waxing and waning of the moon?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12576776_f260.jpg

2. Say Yes To Life profile image79
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years ago

I don't understand your question, but I'd like to say that Hawaiians have a different name for "moon" every night.  The first new moon is "Hilo" (as in the town, but Hilo got its name from an entirely different source); the full moon is "Hoku" (same as the Hawaiian word for "Star", and the last crescent moon is "Muku".
    If you want the remaining 26 names, please visit this link:
    http://www.instanthawaii.com/cgi-bin/hi?Weather.moon

m abdullah javedposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Yoleen for the info, it's interesting.

3. Billie Kelpin profile image86
    Billie Kelpinposted 8 years ago

"Articulating" is harder than showing with a three dimensional object, of course. I remember in 4th grade, I had my science book open on my desk turned to the page Sister Mary Margaret was talking about.  I raised my hand and stood at the left side of my desk when called upon. (That's how we had to answer a question "back in the day".) I tried with my little mind to wrap my head around the concept of rotation and orbiting while looking at the flat two dimensional drawing on the page. I asked, "If the earth rotates around the sun, then why does the picture show the earth on TOP of the sun."  Sister Mary Margaret could NOT understand my question, but valantly tried to explain. She just couldn't understand what I couldn't see. I sat down and for the first time in my life, I felt frustrated in school and also felt as if I just couldn't understand science.But the point is, not understanding that concept affected me so much that I remember the details of that day exactly. 
    So, back to the question of "articulating" this concept:
    1. First of all the concept of waning needs to be clear to a person. I always use the sentence "My attention is waning" which I understand to mean that my attention is getting less.  So waning is the concept of the light becoming less visible, and thus waxing is the opposite.
    2. I'm left handed.  When my husband tried to explain the waxing and the waning with the "c" and "d" or whatever trick he uses, I never got it. When realizing that the moon rotates counter-clockwise, I thought, "Ok, I'll say the moon is left-handed". To understand I hold up my right fist in front of my face like the sun,put my left index finger in front of it and rotate it in a counter clockwise position (which is natural for me to do) and when it's rotating in a direction where It's trying to show me it's full self, it's waxing.
    3. But STILL I get mixed up. So after looking at your pictures, I watched the video here: http://www.universetoday.com/19699/does … on-rotate/ I kept looking at the video and comparing it to your picture.  I told myself to think of the darkness as a curtain on the stage of a performance the "curtain" (darkness) opens from right to left (the opposite way that we read in the Eng. language.  As "the curtain" OPENS,  the amt of light we see on the RIGHT becomes more and more until we see the whole stage. That whole opening process is waxing. If I get waxing right, I can conceptualize waning.  Thank you for this ques., It's getting me closer to understanding.  Hope someone has an easier way smile smile

m abdullah javedposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Billie,  with your wonderful reply you took us to our childhood days, the innocence is back on our faces. You are true.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)