Do you contend that THE LAW OF ATTRACTION and POSITIVE THINKING phenomena are

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

Do you contend that THE LAW OF ATTRACTION and POSITIVE THINKING phenomena are

pure naivete, wishing thinking, and  full of nonsense in terms of bouncing back from adversity when in reality,  adverse and difficult situations NEVER get better at all? 

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/9054958_f260.jpg

2. kbdressman profile image59
    kbdressmanposted 8 years ago

I just got back from a 3 week service trip to Guatemala.  I spent the time working with a doctor in a government run clinic in a very poor area.  The doctor was always stating things like she never used gloves because they couldn't afford them and that she wished they received more donations.  Towards the end of my time there, we were helping them get ready for an audit, and found a shed full of donations that weren't being used.  Equipment wasn't being used because they didn't want to spend the money they had on batteries, etc.  While I'm not discounting that they had a problem and that they needed more help than they were receiving, there was an attitude of poverty that kept them living in conditions that were worse than the actual poverty was demanding.  So, while thinking that everything is magically all better, won't make things magically all better, how we view the world really does have an effect on our world.

3. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 8 years ago

Whether it's pure wishful thinking I won't go into here.  What I will say is that situations are always changing.  Nothing ever stays exactly the same.  But even more important, what can be changed is the way we interpret our life to be at this time - this 'Now' Time.   

Most people dwell in their minds, thinking of the past, thinking of the future, then using a positive or negative attitude to determine how they feel now.  What is wrong with the absolute moment - this moment - is the important thing. Is there anything wrong with it?

What is wrong now?   Can I accept it? (this moment, not the imaginings of a future which might never happen)  What can I do about it?  Can I side step it?  Go around it?   Ignore it?  Deal with it as best I can NOW.

In that figure of the man resting on elbows on table hands on head is a depiction of body-language.  If this were real, and the man sat up straight, the body would affect the mind.  The improvement in mental state would change.   Whether his outside situation would change is not the point here.   Content or discontent lies WITHIN.   Look after the within.

1. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yep, I like the way you think.  "Now" is definitely key and we all seem to trip up living in the past or for the future and now slips away taking it with it all sorts of opportunities and promise we don't see because we're distracted.

4. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 8 years ago

I believe that the mainstream products that highlight these are over simplified yes and they can lead people astray.  Positive mindset is not a fallacy however, and it is necessary to get and maintain focus as one works towards their goals.  There is a lot of misinformation out there on these subjects.  I even did a hub about why positive affirmations don't work and how to fix it, because I see people trip up using these tools the wrong way all the time.   

I've used "law of attraction" and other universal principles long before they were a catchy buzzword. It was a process of metamorphosis in life, ridding myself of old programing, restructuring my entire thought process etc.  It's not as simple as just a vision board or pretty flowery words.  That's where I get aggravated with the mainstream "Secret" and it's ilk. It's not a freaking secret, it's been in existence for ages, and it's difficult.

If you use any tool incorrectly, you aren't going to get the desired results, will give up in frustration or keep doing what doesn't work.  Learning to use Universal Laws, positive thinking and intention correctly is a skill that requires patience and practice - and not everyone is willing to devote their time to it.

5. dashingscorpio profile image78
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

The "law of attraction" does not replace the "law of action".
    It's been said: "Faith without deeds is death"
    I can't tell you how many times I've heard women proclaim they are waiting on God to send them a man.
    Even a lottery winner has to buy a ticket!
    Unfortunately too many people think all they have to do is visualize and repeat affirmations to themselves; and then wait for the miracle!
    It goes without saying everything we own is something we thought about acquiring (first). However there were some "steps" we took to make it ours. A lot of folks never trust their gut instincts.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)