Is the public school system teaching kids that the government is the solution to

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Levi Legion profile image61
    Levi Legionposted 8 years ago

Is the public school system teaching kids that the government is the solution to problems?

My school-age years were not spent in the public school system, so I ask the above question. I generally believe that people are able solve all types of problems without the interference of government. But is the public education system teaching the opposite? Is the system reinforcing the idea that the gov. can solve all our problem through regulation? Please explain why you agree or disagree with my sentiments.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12606844_f260.jpg

2. dashingscorpio profile image78
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

When I went to public school we spent very little time on government unless that was a specific course someone was taking. Even then government and economics classes was geared towards teaching how our system worked.
    No instructor taught how government should work all the lessons and tests were based off of information provided in the books.
    In my daily life I have very little government interference.
    Like a lot of folks I work, pay my bills, spend time with family, travel, and put some money aside for the future.
    Most regulations come about because people were abused or taken advantage of. Child labor laws for instance came about because children were being forced to work in horrible conditions. The FDA  oversees inspection of drugs and food supplies...etc
    Trust me without some of these "regulations" people would cut corners on everything from building codes, using lead in products, to dumping chemicals in drinking water.
    Honesty and greed are strangers.
    The purpose of the government is to pass and enforce laws.
    As I noted earlier most laws and regulations don't come about until AFTER there has been criminal behavior. If people were naturally honest and not looking to take advantage of one another there would be fewer laws/regulations.
    While government is not the (solution) for all our problems it sure is not the (cause) of all our problems.
    "....government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." - Abraham Lincoln (November 19, 1863 )

Levi Legionposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think a lot has changed since you were in school. There's far more bureaucracy now. Far more gov. infringements. I get the feeling that many young people have no reservations about using the gov. to push agendas and force compliance on others.

2. dashingscorpio profile image78
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I suppose it depends on one's view of "agenda". The Declaration of Independence says: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.." Some people view pushing for equality/ending discrimination as an agenda.

3. Levi Legion profile image61

By "agenda" I generally mean those actions which take away the rights of people, in which case the equality issue would not fit this definition. It seems the younger generations are looking to the gov. to "right all wrongs" and that's a problem.

4. dashingscorpio profile image78
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

As my mother use to tell us: "Life is not fair!"
      Unfortunately some people never accept that as a fact.  Even if given an equal opportunity some people will always excel above and beyond others!
      One has to develop (their gifts) to get ahead.

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image49
    bradmasterOCcalposted 8 years ago

It doesn't seem like public schools teach much of anything, especially your topic.

1. Au fait profile image84
      Au faitposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sad, but so true.

2. Levi Legion profile image61

BradmasterOCal, I think maybe you missed the point. "My topic" of course is not an actual class taught, but rather a philosophy permeating public school culture. Young people these days view the gov. as more of a savior, rather than the servant.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image87
    M. T. Dremerposted 8 years ago

If there was any class that taught government was the solution, it was U.S. history. The wars we've won, the hardships we've endured, the inventions we've created. Granted, not all of that is government (a lot of it was capitalism) but if it could be found anywhere, it would be there. And it isn't by design. Telling a child that the government did something good in the past is just a fact, like telling them it did something bad. A child reviewing the history of this country would form their own conclusions about the usefulness of government.

Other than that, there is no underlying conspiracy to teach kids that government is good. Well, aside from the fact that they're getting a free K-12 education. If you value learning, then it could be seen as a positive government action.

Thanks, MT. I think the examples you gave (wars won, hardships endured, inventions) can be attributed to the people, not gov. I'm just noticing a trend of gov. reliance, rather than self and community reliance. The gov. was never meant to be nanny.

2. M. T. Dremer profile image87
      M. T. Dremerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

One could argue that 'community reliance' is government.

3. Levi Legion profile image61

Not really, M.T. Government has the power to force your compliance, by taking your stuff or killing you, if need be. Given that, I wouldn't say relying on your neigbors (community) is the same at all.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image87
      M. T. Dremerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

What is government but a big community? Even the smallest neighborhoods have organizations and leaders. Government can be bloated and corrupt. But the wins, endurance, and inventions of the people wouldn't have been possible without that community.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)