Why are Americans outraged over Kim Davis but quiet about Islamic State throwing

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Terrex profile image67
    Terrexposted 8 years ago

Why are Americans outraged over Kim Davis but quiet about Islamic State throwing people off roofs?

Kim Davis has become the target of a witch hunt by people across the world for not issuing marriage licenses to gay couples. There is a tremendous flurry of caustic and vitriolic hate directed at her.
    On the other hand, Islamic State is regularly throwing people who it suspects of being gay off roofs and baying crowds are stoning their corpses.
    Are Americans really so terrified of Islamists that they cower in silence at these atrocities?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12626361_f260.jpg

2. Huntgoddess profile image67
    Huntgoddessposted 8 years ago

Best Answer Huntgoddess says

I have never heard of Kim Davis.

I have never heard of these atrocities from the Islamic State, either.

These things are both terrible, but apparently this Kim Davis person is not killing anyone?

I believe we have to pray without ceasing, but we also must also figure out a way to stop this torture and murder by the "Islamic State."

Of course, it is not okay to subject anyone to a flurry of hatred, either. But, she should not be withholding anyone's legitimate marriage licenses. She is certainly free to try to change the status quo in other ways.

But, those murder victims of the "IS" have no alternative available to them. They also have no time left to change anything.

I am afraid to admit that, yes, it does seem that Americans are cowering in fear at these atrocities. I wish this were not the case, and we need to pray that our country will do something to put a stop to it --- if more peaceful measures are ineffective.

On the other hand, I think the "Islamic state," is about as "Islamic," as the Third Reich was "Christian" or "Jewish."

I wonder if "Islamic state," is just organized crime?

Terrexposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Islamic State base their actions on Islamic scripture,openly aver they are acting for Islam and follow the tenets of Islam; the Third Reich did not claim to be Jewish/Christian and, in fact, suppressed them.ISIS aims to create an Islamic 'caliphate'.

2. Huntgoddess profile image67
      Huntgoddessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

" . . . the Third Reich did not claim to be Jewish/Christian and, in fact, suppressed them . . . "

Yes, I am aware of this, but that wasn't my point.

3. abdussalaam profile image81
      abdussalaamposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'd say the Islamic State, is about as 'Islamic' as the Klu Klux Klan was 'Christian'.

4. m abdullah javed profile image76
      m abdullah javedposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Terrex, if they are true let them show where their atrocities find evidence in the Islamic scripture? And in what way Islam supports their inhuman acts? About Islamic Caliphate pls refer my hub "is it victory..."

5. Terrex profile image67

@Huntgoddess:
      Oops, sorry for misunderstanding! What did you mean by
      "I think the "Islamic state," is about as "Islamic," as the Third Reich was "Christian" or "Jewish" ?
      P.S: Love the screen name - always a fan of Diana/Artemis.

6. Huntgoddess profile image67
      Huntgoddessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

@ Terrex:   So glad you like the screen name --- and you k what it means.

Well, Abdus Salaam has already explained it nicely. The Islamic State follows no faith or religion.

3. Austinstar profile image84
    Austinstarposted 8 years ago

Kim Davis is here in the U.S.A. and that is why people are outraged.
    What happens in the middle east is something we have absolutely no control over. Yes, we are outraged, but we can't just go to an Islamic State and tell them how to behave.
    We have been trying to for thousands of years, but still don't see any changes.
    As long as Islamic states keep going by their outdated and barbaric methods, we cannot do anything about it.

If gays were being thrown of roofs in the US, I'd see how Americans could ignore the same in the Mid-East. Fact is, they ignore such horrendous things (imagine being thrown to your death for being gay!!) to focus rabidly on relatively minor things.

2. Austinstar profile image84
      Austinstarposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Gays have been thrown to their deaths for being gay here in the USA. They have been beaten to death, and discriminated against for centuries. Did you not know this?

4. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 8 years ago

It is most likely that most Americans have never heard of this. It is not in the print or electronic media and perhaps I'm out of the loop but I've not seen this reported on t.v. (I don't watch much). I'm most certain that those who do hear of this are repulsed by murder.

That's precisely the problem - the media picks and chooses who it wants to bully. Charlie Hebdo proved that Islamist terrorists will murder people who question them, so American media outlets choose weak targets they know can't really fight back.

5. Terrex profile image67
    Terrexposted 8 years ago

@Austinstar

Okay, you tell me - when was the last time a gay person was thrown to his/her death off a building for being gay in the USA?

1. Austinstar profile image84

I didn't go through the whole list but - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o … ted_States I think being shot or beaten to death is pretty much equal to being thrown off a building to death.

2. Terrex profile image67

Ok,I just went by what you said 15min ago:"Gays have been thrown to their deaths for being gay here in the USA"
      Question is,y isn't the media talking abt these ppl?Why aren't u?
      Incidentally,a couple of murders at the end of the list are by muslims..

3. Austinstar profile image84

I am for peace Instead of hatred and war. If possible, we should try to put an end to murder for any reason! I would prefer to promote good things instead of harping on death and destruction and hate. We are making progress it's slow.

4. Terrex profile image67

Most of us are for peace, not war, A-star. I'm all for promoting good things - I just believe promoting the apathy toward the murder of gays by Islamic State when so much is said about Kim Davis is a good thing, and willful ignorance is a bad thing.

6. lisavollrath profile image93
    lisavollrathposted 8 years ago

Probably because the general attitude in America is "as long as they're killing each other, it's fine". If IS threw an American off a roof, I'm sure there would be as many rabid posts about that as there are about Kim Davis.

That's actually the general attitude all over.
      Several Americans have been killed by ISIS. Kayla Mueller was repeatedly raped by their leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi before they murdered her. No rabid posts...

7. junkseller profile image80
    junksellerposted 8 years ago

1. Some people are ignorant. They have no idea what is going on beyond their face.

2. The media sucks and does a generally poor job of informing people.

3. People have loyalties. People care very little about their own country's body count (or their 'allies'). Just like they care more about what is happening close by then they do far away.

4. Outrage fatigue. There is a lot to be outraged at these days and only so much outrage to go around.

5. Targetability. The Kim Davis situation is not complicated. ISIS, on the other hand, is a large, complicated, and difficult problem. A lot of people react to it by throwing up their hands. That doesn't mean they aren't outraged. They just don't really know what to say or do. Kim Davis, however, is an easy outrage target. She is an idiot who should be fired (for example).

6. People have agendas. Many people have an agenda of equality, so Kim Davis becomes a big deal. Many people also have a pretend Christians are persecuted agenda, so Kim Davis becomes a big deal. Lot's of people have a demonize Islam agenda, combined with an agenda for making defense contractors lots of money, and so ISIS becomes a big deal. Not many people have any agendas that have anything at all to do with the Congo or Myanmar, or probably dozens of places were things are happening that are worse even than ISIS, so we hear nothing at all about them.

1. Austinstar profile image84

Totally awesome answer! I think you covered all the reasons for apathy there junkseller

2. Terrex profile image67

I generally agree, except with no.5 - is it that much more complicated to tweet about gays being slaughtered than being denied marriage licenses? 'Easy target' does sum it up, though, like I alluded to in my question.Thanks for taking the time.

8. Readmikenow profile image95
    Readmikenowposted 8 years ago

Good question.  It's like asking why so many people were outraged over the killing of a lion, but ignore video tapes of members from Planned Parenthood selling dead baby parts. I wonder if we have seen so many horrible things from the Islamic state such as beheadings, setting individuals on fire, stoning people to death etc., many people are becoming numb to the shock of it.

Good answer.
      Sad that we're inured to such things when done by a certain group of 'humans'.
      Don't know about the 'numbness' though - it's surprising how many people don't even know these things are happening.
      Cowardly media's the problem, I'd say.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)