Can guns be kept out of the hands of criminals without extra burdens placed on l

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Express10 profile image84
    Express10posted 8 years ago

Can guns be kept out of the hands of criminals without extra burdens placed on legal/sane owners?

It always appears that the rights of the sane, trained, and law abiding are under threat where guns are concerned. Why is the emphasis not place upon those who do NOT belong to the above group? Can guns be kept out of the hands of criminals without extra burdens placed on legal/sane owners?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12701946_f260.jpg

2. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 8 years ago

I see this as a rather inane suggestion.   Who says that gun-owning people who are not criminals are entirely sane?   Until a person has control over their emotions to the point where they would NEVER lose their temper, people, cannot be trusted not to use their guns in anger against another human being.

Jealous rages, and even temporarily bruised self-images and losses of face, can send some people temporarily over the edge of sanity into an abyss of ego-driven irresponsibility.   "He made me do it!"   How often do we hear such rubbish!   "I couldn't help myself, he made me so mad."

Get real!

Why do you think so many people are killed in the United States compared with, say, Scandinavian countries, Switzerland, or virtually any First World Nation?   It's access to guns.  Get rid of guns to the point where it becomes extremely difficult to be able to own one and 90% of the gun accidents, and murders would end overnight.

1. ronbergeron profile image83
      ronbergeronposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I've owned handguns for over 30 years. I've never even come close to using one against another person. Gun ownership is a serious thing and it takes more than simple anger to justify lethal force. Most gun owners understand that. Don't be paranoid.

2. Express10 profile image84
      Express10posted 8 years agoin reply to this

If perhaps you did not understand the question, you could have asked for clarification or not answered Mr. Ware? I agree with Ron Bergeron. Criminals & those who are not sane do not CARE about laws. It's that simple.

3. Jackie Lynnley profile image85
      Jackie Lynnleyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If people get mad enough I suppose a lamp could be as lethal as a gun, couldn't it? That is no good argument.

3. tirelesstraveler profile image61
    tirelesstravelerposted 8 years ago

You are the first I have heard to mention this idea.  It's a good question.  Most gun crime is done with illegal guns. Stolen.  When are we going to address heart problems.

Ah, don't get me started on heart problems smile I had a biggie knock me on my arse last November, completely out of the blue. Even the cardiologist said he was "mystified" as to why it happened to me.

4. ronbergeron profile image83
    ronbergeronposted 8 years ago

Laws only apply to the law-abiding. Criminals aren't controlled by gun laws. They don't care which guns are "legal" or where they might be permitted. The various proposed laws to require insurance on guns (similar to car insurance) will only affect the law-abiding citizens. They don't affect criminals.

Why punish the people who follow the laws?

I own several handguns. I enjoy target shooting. I also like the idea that I have the ability to defend myself under dire circumstances if needed. I take that seriously. I'm not going to pull a gun, which I consider to be a last resort, just to prove a point or save face. Potentially lethal force is reserved for life or death circumstances.

Preventing criminals from having guns is a major challenge. I would first start by enforcing the existing laws. There are many laws on the books regarding firearms that are rarely enforced. For example, here in Massachusetts, there's a minimum 1 year prison sentence for the illegal possession of a handgun. That law has been on the books for decades. Even though people are caught illegally possessing handguns nearly every day in this state, I don't know if anyone has ever served that sentence. Prosecutors usually bargain that away at pre-trial hearings.

Before another law restricting constitutional rights (whether you agree with them or not) is passed, ENFORCE THE EXISTING LAWS. Don't complain about loopholes, straw purchases, or any of that other crap until the existing laws are fully used.

I agree that there is a violence problem in this country. Disarming law-abiding citizens isn't a solution to the violence problem.

Start with providing hope to the hopeless. Show people that there are better ways to live, that they can make progress and advance in a society that they may not feel they belong to. Show them that they belong! I think that most people would gladly be helpful rather than hurtful if they thought it made a difference.

Amen! I wish I could give you thousands of thumbs up! Why do SO MANY people ignore the fact that criminals and anyone dead set on doing harm do not give a hoot about any laws?

5. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 8 years ago

If there actually was a group of sane, trained, and law-abiding gun-owners to begin with then it might be possible to answer your question, but there isn't. The gun club has spent forever making sure that there is a very low bar for entry into their group and have completely resisted any real barriers to entry. The result is that a bunch of very poorly trained and emotionally immature gun owners are running around patting themselves on the back for being law-abiding simply because they haven't yet shot anyone (or had someone get their gun and then shoot themselves or others).

You can't really ask me not to burden a group, when that groups only assurance comes in the form of a wink. Sorry, but every single person in my life who has owned a handgun is someone who I don't think should have owned one, either because of very poor training, being not quite right in the head, treating them like toys, and/or improperly storing/maintaining/securing their weapons. And every single one of them sounded exactly like you and Ron Bergeron.

1. ronbergeron profile image83

Exactly how many of the estimated 1/3 of adults who own guns in the US do you personally know? Rather than condemn a large percentage of the population based on your limited experience, maybe you need to seek out a better crowd to associate with.

2. junkseller profile image78
      junksellerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I condemn the group because of the group actions (or lack thereof), namely, the complete refusal to allow any measures to help reduce gun violence. My anecdotal evidence was an anecdotal aside, not the totality of evidence for my position.

3. ronbergeron profile image83

Perhaps people are resistant to being punished for the actions of others. I know that I never cared for that myself. They'd probably be more open to things that might actually affect the troublemakers rather than the people who obey the rules.

4. Jackie Lynnley profile image85
      Jackie Lynnleyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

We are smart enough to know criminals have all the guns they want regardless and even the government may supply them with many (Fast and Furious) also letting these criminals out of prison &  letting  drug cartel run rampant with no concern for t

6. Jackie Lynnley profile image85
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 8 years ago

Criminals will always have guns. Many have them now courtesy of Fast and Furious; no? Chicago has gun control; how safe is it? There is your answer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)