Do you think the wide acceptance of marriage equality could lower the divorce ra

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Kylyssa profile image91
    Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

Do you think the wide acceptance of marriage equality could lower the divorce rate?

Before you answer, let me give you some background as to why I'd ask this question.

For eleven years, I was married to a gay man. I thought my situation rare until I got a divorce and found out that many women have married gay men and many men have married lesbians, only to find out later and see it all crash and burn.

Do you think that if equal marriage became widely accepted by society, there would be less pressure or need for people to lie to themselves about who they are and marry people of the opposite gender, resulting in fewer divorces for reasons of sexual orientation?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12738754_f260.jpg

2. lisavollrath profile image94
    lisavollrathposted 8 years ago

My answer is yes, in the short term, but no over time. I think the divorce rate will dip in the short term, because there are so many long-term, same sex established relationships becoming marriages right now. Over time, however, I think we'll see the divorce rate go back to 50%, because all marriages have the same problems: people enter into the relationship too quickly, or without thinking; partners grow apart; money issues; pressures of raising children. Same sex marriages will have all these problems, as well as the additional pressures of dealing with the prejudice against them. And let's face it: marriage is hard, even in the best of circumstances.

As for your specific situation, my mother was in a similar one: she married a man who was gay before she met my father. He was under pressure from his family, who didn't know he was gay, to get married and have a family, and he married my mom because she was a good Catholic girl with no experience.

I don't think gay people who marry the opposite gender do so because they want to be married, or because marriage to someone of the same gender hasn't been available. I think they do it either because they don't want anyone to know they're gay, or because they don't, themselves, know they're gay. A lot of gay people don't come out to their parents and loved ones, because they're afraid of being rejected and discriminated against. This won't change just because there's marriage equality.

Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I should have defined what wide acceptance means. I meant it to mean almost everyone in the society has no problem with people marrying or loving the people they fall in love with and it's something that could occur in the future, but hasn't yet..

2. lisavollrath profile image94
      lisavollrathposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it would change my answer. Marriage is hard, regardless of gender. I don't think the divorce rate will change.

3. Kylyssa profile image91

Do you think gay people will continue to marry people of the opposite sex at the same rates, even in the future? IMO, equality makes marriage slightly less about religion and social pressure and slightly more about love. Thanks for your insight!

4. lisavollrath profile image94
      lisavollrathposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If you think about interracial marriage: it's so commonplace in some places, and yet there are still people who are against it, who won't tell their families they're seriously dating someone of another race. Same thing will happen with LGBT folks.

5. Kylyssa profile image91

That's a really good point. It's too bad more equality in a society is unlikely to strengthen the institution of marriage.  Personally, I see more value to marriage as an institution now that it isn't being used as a tool of oppression.

3. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12738967_f260.jpg

I think the more marriages we have the more divorces we'll have. Most divorces that take place are not due to gay people marrying straight people.
    Human beings make mistakes and divorce is essentially a public admission that mistake was made in the mate selection process.
    I believe there are three basic reasons why people get divorced.
    1. They chose the wrong mate! (Had different values/deal breakers)
    2. They got married for the wrong reasons.
    (age goals, money, unplanned pregnancy, ultimatum, all their friends were married, got tired of being single, scared of being alone)
    3. They fell out of love over time or stopped wanting the same things.
    There are only two ways to experience joy and peace of mind in relationships: We either get what we want or we learn to be happy with what we have. Accept them as (is) or move on.
    “Some people think that it’s holding on that makes one strong; sometimes it’s letting go.” — unknown
    Every ending is a new beginning!

I'm aware gay/hetero marriages are few. Wouldn't getting rid of one wrong reason help, even a little? I also think equality makes more marriages more about love than politics or religion which may reduce other wrong reasons.

4. aliasis profile image75
    aliasisposted 8 years ago

Ultimately, there's not much difference between gay marriages and straight marriages, and people will generally have the same problems either way, so I'm not sure we'll see a huge difference. Divorce is a tricky thing. I don't think people who aren't happy together should have to stay together, and I think high divorce rates can be looked at another way - in the past, people were socially forced to remain in terrible relationships because divorce was just that taboo. Now, that doesn't mean people shouldn't try to fix issues and work through problems rather than leaving at the first fight (unless there's abuse involved, obviously). Though another problem, I think, is people rushing into marriages too quickly with people they just don't know well enough. I guess the something going for gay relationships is that there's less likely to be sudden marriages on account of unplanned pregnancies!

Though, you do bring up a good point - as our society becomes more open and accepting, perhaps people will feel less forced to enter marriages because they are "supposed" to, like a gay person entering a heterosexual marriage, which generally just ends in heartache and frustration all around. Maybe in the future out willingness to let people be true to themselves really will lower the divorce rate a little bit.

I think there are really no differences between gay and hetero marriages, but many still think there are. I think if that belief disappears, fewer people will get married to hide who they are. Equality also makes marriage more about love, IMO.

5. bradmasterOCcal profile image49
    bradmasterOCcalposted 8 years ago

There is no connection that would change the divorce rate because it is human nature to take an easy out especially when the law allows it.
    The divorce rate increased after the 1970 no fault divorce was passed.  Prior to that the grounds for divorce were death, adultery, and insanity.
    Now, it is as simple as I want out.

Why would gay people keep marrying heterosexual people at the same rates and later divorcing them if they are free to marry people they're actually attracted to? That's part of the question asked.

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image49
      bradmasterOCcalposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This certainly has no bearing on my comment, Marriage eq has nothing to do with changing the divorce rate.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)