How do you deal with bad neighbors?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 8 years ago

How do you deal with bad neighbors?

An inconsiderate, noisy neighbor is stressful. They also park vehicles in front of your home constantly and retaliate if you try to reason with them.Do you try to ignore them, or call the authorities, or something else?

2. Hmtrio2 profile image67
    Hmtrio2posted 8 years ago

Call authorities or attempt to get out of the area. Usually the police can do little.

Stacie Lposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's easy to move if you rent but trying to sell a home with a bad neighbor can be problematic.

2. Express10 profile image86
      Express10posted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's what the police say but they often lie about this. Usually the police do not WANT to do anything even with noise laws on the books. There's a sad case in CA where the victim of the noise shot a neighbor dead b/c police & no one would help.

3. avorodisa profile image77
    avorodisaposted 8 years ago

First you must try to discuss things with them. If they are conflict-minded, then you may check with the law, what they are allowed or not to do. Then, if they really break the law, you can call the police. Usually the noise coming from neighbours at nighttime is considered a violation. As for the car parking, I'm not sure, it's better to check that out.

4. Besarien profile image75
    Besarienposted 8 years ago

I am sorry to hear you have bad neighbors. We had a terrible guy living next to us for a short time about ten years ago. He drank, broke bottles against our house. Frightened our son who was about 6 then. Racists epithets, raunchy language, blared music, sat in his driveway revving his engine at 2 in the morning, He even peed on our car. Real charmer! Luckily he couldn't pay his rent and got kicked out. That is really my point, here. The loose cannons can't keep it together and move around a lot. Hopefully your bad neighbor will lose his job and have to move. One thing I would do is talk to all your other good neighbors so that you can kind of look out for each other, especially your kids, and back each other up if necessary.

It's a hypothetical situation. I'm sorry you had bad neighbors but luckily they moved. i think all of us have had at least one in our lives!

5. m abdullah javed profile image75
    m abdullah javedposted 8 years ago

I would suggest Stacie to be polite with that neighbor. You are true the inconsiderate neighbor is a trial. But what I believe is the faith we practice has a direct link with it. If our faith is good enough, it will surely mould the person/persons attitude to suit to our likings. It needs your patience and avoidance of their bad behavior with a good one. Soon you will see the changes. If you don't correct the attitude of your neighbor and try to avoid, then he is going to be a trouble for someone else. So why someone else should suffer if we can change the attitude? So be polite, things will change, invite them to your home, share the dish you eat, solve their problems if any, show them your concern... things will change.
    Even after a considerable efforts if you think, things are not working then you may go ahead and do what other have suggested.

Yes, everyone deserves the benefit of a doubt for a short time, but sometimes one can invite more trouble by trying to reason with unreasonable behaviors.

2. Express10 profile image86

Politeness with these types of neighbors goes nowhere with a large number of them. If it did, perhaps they'd show their own politeness by not making noise or inconveniencing others at all?

3. m abdullah javed profile image75
      m abdullah javedposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Express10, actually the point of discussion is a bad behavior, my argument is instead of avoiding, an assertion for it's rectification/correction would be beneficial.

4. Besarien profile image75
      Besarienposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Excellent point muhammad abdullah javed! The first step to take with any neighbor or person in general should be friendly understanding, polite communications, an honest attempt at a good neighborly relationship. We cause a problem if we don't try.

5. Express10 profile image86

I asked if they'd show their own politeness by not making noise or inconveniencing others at all because their behavior exhibits that they are not considerate of others. Because of that, there is no need to be overly polite to them.

6. Annsalo profile image85
    Annsaloposted 8 years ago

The easiest thing to do that is actually effective is determine if the bad neighbor is a renter or owner. For some reason I find most "bad" neighbors are renters. If that is the case the best way to solve it is to go to their landlord. If you don't know the landlord in the USA you can simply look it up at your county assessor's office. Also if the landlord refuses to resolve the situation you can protest with the housing authority and the city usually.
    If someone has this issue, and the bad neighbor will not listen to complaints the police should be called and pictures should be taken to get documentation of the issue. This will make it more convincing for the landlord or city that the person is a nuisance.
    Being polite usually doesn't work with bad neighbors. They are typically immature, lacking the thought of other people. I am currently working on a situation similar to your hypothetical question. I've also dealt with it in the past. Landlords are usually pretty effective.
    If they are homeowners it all becomes more tricky. You have to call police, take photos, report them to the city when they refuse to cut their grass, learn city codes. Eventually they will get tired of your complaining and the police and get the point.

many are installing security camera and videotaping....its effective.

7. Express10 profile image86
    Express10posted 8 years ago

I have written a couple of hubs detailing the exact issue of noisy neighbors. I highly recommend that a victim document everything that is going on in case they need to take them to court or if it would simply help law enforcement understand how long this has been going on and what exactly has been going on.

Also, if you have an HOA or condo board you can complain to them each time they are breaking association rules and bring documentation. If you do not have an HOA/CB, you might try leaving your garbage cans out to deter them from parking in front of your home, I've not tried this but have read about someone else doing this. However, they can easily be moved whether by hand or with their car.

Also, call police when they are disturbing the peace. Do not be afraid to assert your right to peace and quiet and if the officers who show up do nothing, go to the station and complain about your neighbor's noise.

If you can find out whether they're renting or not, you may have them over a barrel when you can contact their landlord to complain...with documentation and any info on your calls to police as well. It must also be said that you may have to give up and move no matter how costly and inconvenient that may be. Problem is, you could move right into a similar or worse situation if you are not extremely careful.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)