Aren't conventional beliefs in God limiting, even immature in outlook? Isn't God

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

Aren't conventional beliefs in God limiting, even immature in outlook? Isn't God beyond beliefs,

judgments & other human associated characteristics propagated by Abrahamic religions?  Why are some humans adherent to old, even destructive paradigms of what they associate with God & believe Him/Her to be?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12489265_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    ValKarasposted 8 years ago

According to the sub-science of hypnotism  -  belief being it's key-concept  -  beliefs are limiting, as they make somewhat fuzzy sense of what is objective enough to be called real. Namely, objectivity is measured by what is known, not what is believed, imagined, supposed, or philosophised about.
    So, when we allow our views of reality, even the reality of god to be mixed with our deliberate mind's constructs  -  or those suggestively implanted into our mind, then we are operating in a robotic fashion, similar to the one present in hypnosis or brainwashing.

The most honest thought about god that humans could ever produce is the one of "not knowing". Everything above that is intellectual arrogance or fanatical delusion. In a strictly logical sense, if anything  -  god is a source, and to borrow a metaphor of a river, imagine the river deciding to run in reverse to meet its source. Just like a thought can't think about itself, eye can't see itself, so we can't produce a true concept of god.

Quantum physics is showing us that the deeper we go "down the rabbit hole" the less sense everything makes. And the most honest among those scientists was the one who said something like  -  "If any physicist tells you that they understand quantum physics, they lie."
    As I am writing about this I can't help being affected by zen teachings which would dismiss any discussion about god as a game of measuring weight with inches.
    Another name for that game would be the one of religion. Kids play their make-belief games as a normal part of their development. Then we grow up and we thwart the adult phase of development by continuing to make believe.
    Believing is a poor substitute for knowing. It's limiting our scope of perception, and while rational folks "believe what they see", religionists "see what they believe".

3. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 8 years ago

It's not that.  Jews and Christians typically follow rules that God laid out for them when He created the world.  He did not create the world to limit us and make us unhappy, but to protect us.  For example, if one waits until marriage to have sex, one will be unlikely to contract an STD or AIDS.  One will not experience the heartbreak of catching serious feelings for someone who had no intention of staying with them, or was just using them for a one night stand.  Finally, one will not get pregnant out of wedlock, which can lead to abortion, or trying to raise a child by herself--which is very hard to do.  So when God made His rules, He knew what He was doing.

Now, it does say in the New Testament that adulterers and witches should be put to death.  The Old Testament was written for a time long, long ago, and society has changed--so have the rules.  Certain rules, though, like the 10 Commandments, are still valid today, while we no longer believe in killing people for eating the wrong meat or having the wrong hair. 

In conclusion, think of children who rebel against their parents, or children in schools who disobey their teachers.  These children are not mature enough to understand why the rules are in place, even when they are told.  They rebel against them.  But these rules are set for them because the adults want to protect their children and know what is best for them.  So it is with God.  He knows what is best for us.  Most of the time, there are serious and unfortunate ramifications for breaking the rules. 

As for other ideas about God, Jews and Christians believe that God's character is portrayed in the bible, and they get a sense of who God is.  I wouldn't say it was immature.  I would say that it is wise.

1. Ericdierker profile image46
      Ericdierkerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting approach.

4. Kiss andTales profile image60
    Kiss andTalesposted 8 years ago

Interesting question gmwilliams, but while many people are focusing on why people are concerned about what is written in the pages of the bible, people have over looked the most important thing, what does it all mean,
    Why was the bible created at all, why has it been preserved despite the many from every generation tried who unsuccessfully tried to distroy it message and purpose.
    Simple it can not be destroyed or stopped by mere humans , because the message lives long as the one who created it. He keeps it circulating .
    The message is a wonderful one for humans
    That the real life is promised is just ahead , it will arrive, gone will be all the troubles we are faced with.
    Simply written 2Pe 3:13 But there are new heavens and a new earth that we are awaiting according to his promise, and in these righteousness is to dwell.
    You see this is the wonderful message of the bible, the issue here is will we be a new citizen of this promise, that depends on how we view morals, love of our neighbors,  love of our planet earth, love of other creations that share this planet with us.
    The future will certainly be a wonderful time of peace under Jesus rulership.

5. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 8 years ago

There is this really cool concept that I believe stems from the Catholic. It is a concept that harkens us to question our own constructs. We refer to it as the ordinary and the extra ordinary. God does this -- ordinary. God can do anything -- extraordinary. It reminds us that we do not limit God. My prayers are answered. So be it. I simply cannot count the times that I prayed for something and something extraordinary came my way -- more that what I prayed for because I limited God. The fact I am alive is a testament after stage 4 cancer. I prayed for time to be with family and friends, He gave me 20 years. Doctors were and are amazed.
    So yes it is man's short sightedness that we limit God. Silly us. There is no boundary.
    I like to think of it as the love connection with God and all others. There is power in those things like touching and prayer and togetherness in harmony.
    You could have limited me to a life as science predicted in your own mind, as I did in mine. But I don't in no way limit God and the power of love in our lives. My mind said one thing and my heart was open to another.

6. moneymindit profile image60
    moneyminditposted 8 years ago

God is definitely beyond belief.  Even if 1 billion people believe in God, it doesn't mean God exists.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)