Are family meals less common today? Will that affect the recipe niche site in th

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 8 years ago

Are family meals less common today? Will that affect the recipe niche site in the future?

2. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 8 years ago

Cool question. I hope to see some great answers.

1. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Eric. I am wondering if I can get the hang of preparing a meal instead of a can or frozen. The challenge I always have is using the ingredients a different way to be appetizing the next day. Ingredients seem hard to use as a single person.

3. tamarawilhite profile image87
    tamarawilhiteposted 8 years ago

I can think of two ways it affects the recipe site:
    * emphasis on convenient and quick family meals so you can create a family meal when in a hurry, so you can have one at all
    * more demand for healthy/hearty recipes for one or two instead of 4-6

1. tsmog profile image83

Those do seem key. Being single my life I have no experience with preparing or having family meals. Fast food was a trend. Stop, grab, eat, and next. What do you think of meals for single people. Is that a niche?

4. Nathanville profile image93
    Nathanvilleposted 8 years ago

Families are a lot smaller now than they were in previous generations and people lead much busier lives, leaving less time to eat; so fast foods and grabbing a snack before going out isn’t uncommon.

However, where people do have the time (like ourselves) then family meals is still a focal point of the day; albeit on our laps in front of the telly rather than at the dining table like it used to be in my grandparents day.

In my case, I’ve taken early retirement so I’m the househusband while my wife still goes out to work, and therefore I prepare all the meals for the family.  It’s what I call part of the family ‘quality time’, when we can all be together and enjoy each other’s company in the evening in front of the TV.

To keep the evening meals interesting, I try to very them, and for inspiration I often watch cookery programmes on the TV, read old recipe books (including war time rationing recipes), swap recipes with friends, and browse sites like the recipe niche site on HubPages.

I know I’m not alone, most of our friends (here in the UK) take the time and trouble (and pride) to prepare ‘family meals’ to eat on their laps while watching the Telly together.  And although we don’t eat at the dining table unless it’s a special occasion or we have guests the type of meal I serve up is no different to what we would eat if we were all formally seated around the dining table.

Therefore, I think the popularity of traditional meals on the recipe niche site is secured for some time to come yet.

1. tsmog profile image83

Thanks. Is that a trend do you think sitting watching the TV instead of the family table? I wonder if there is opportunity for special shows with a matching special meal as a theme for recipes? I dun'no . . .

2. Nathanville profile image93
      Nathanvilleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

In front of the Telly is how most our friends eat, so I guess it’s quite common.  If our son’s out then sometimes my wife and I will enjoy an episode of River Cottage with Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, celebrity chef while enjoying our evening meal.

5. WordCrafter09 profile image66
    WordCrafter09posted 8 years ago

I don't think people who are interested in looking up recipes are necessarily interested in the day-to-day, family-meal, type of thing a good part of the time.  I think they may be more likely to be looking for special-meal/occasion type of stuff and/or be new enough at preparing meals (maybe newlyweds) who don't have experience cooking dinners.  Or they may want something on one "special" item, like, for example, Marsala sauce, if it's something they've never made or paid attention to.

I don't have reason to doubt that there may be fewer family meals (everyone at a table) today; but anyone who knows anything about a family and/or a meal knows that it isn't most often necessary to look up recipes on the Internet in order to come up with a "family meal".

My children are grown and moved out now, but when they were little there was no need for me to do what my mother did, which was spend most of the afternoon peeling and cooking vegetables and whatever else she was cooking for dinner.  We were young in the fifties and sixties.  My children were young in the eighties/nineties.  I kept nothing but nutritious food/snacks/beverages available to them in the house.  As a RULE (but with occasional exception) if I brought them out to eat it was at a place where they could get a nutritious, decent, meal (even if "put together" with side dishes choice of beverage).

Their father got home from work late, so the children and I would often eat a "mini-dinner" together, and it was often out (a "family meal" in its own way).  So, by the time their father was/got home I'd know the children had already had "some version of dinner".  So, with the late "family dinner" (at the dining room table) the children were there to join in, and if they were too full or too antsy-and-young to want to sit for too long it didn't matter much.  Anyone over two generally sat there with us for a reasonable time.

I think a dining room table is important no matter how grown a family is.  Time around it together doesn't always mean looking up special or new recipes (or even mean special occasions).

1. tsmog profile image83

Thanks. I can only reflect near the time as you when a child growing up. No children myself. We always had a family dinner, while pretty much a routine being a military family with special meals now and then.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)