Why do people like to say "they went to the ghetto? Or are "from the street?"

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)
  1. Dean Traylor profile image93
    Dean Traylorposted 8 years ago

Why do people like to say "they went to the ghetto? Or are "from the street?"

Recently, a hubber proclaimed that he "went to the ghetto" and was "from the streets."  It was used in a discussion question; however, this seems to be used by a lot of people who believe it's some type of badge of honor (well, that's my opinion). What kind of message is this person trying to convey? Having worked in an urban setting for more than 15 years, I still find this statement confounding.  (photo: http://www.albundy.net)

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12954579_f260.jpg

2. lions44 profile image94
    lions44posted 8 years ago

I have a unique take on this. I grew in a very diverse neighborhood in the east Bronx.  We had black, white, Hispanic, rich and poor (more working class, but still some upper middle holdovers from the 50s).  The buildings were lived in were very large, similar to public housing, but built in the late 30s/early 40s. Many were getting run down at the time. 
    As I got older, there were more African Americans coming into the neighborhood.  Most were from the South Bronx (below 170 St.).  This was an economic step up for them.  So our rec leagues/little league had a nice mix.  But what we found was stunning: the African Americans insisted on calling the neighborhood "the projects,"   It seemed to be done to impress kids from outside the area.  They seemed desperate for "cred."  Many kids who we knew for a long time would change when their friends and relatives would come over.  Calling the buildings projects was all they could do. 
    Whether it be a survival instinct or guilt, people love to say they are "street." 
    Trust me, it was not always fun.  The Bronx is a great place to be from, but I would not want to do it over again.

3. Annsalo profile image84
    Annsaloposted 8 years ago

In a sense, being "from the streets" is a badge of honor, same as being from the ghetto, as long as the person managed to get out of the ghetto/streets.

Living in the ghetto is rough!!! Even the "better" ghettos are still rough. It's also very hard to get out. Being raised in low income neighborhoods implies the parents were poor. Poor parents are not able to provide for their children as well as better off parents. Poor children have less chances of graduating, going to college, or getting good paying jobs.

I'm from "the streets" in a lot of ways. I managed to move out of that and make my life decent so in a way it is sort of my badge of honor. I made it up. I got an education.

What I don't understand are people bragging about BEING in the ghetto, or those who don't want to get out of the ghetto. The ones who simply like being in the ghetto are delusional in my opinion. It's quite sad.

1. dashingscorpio profile image79
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

They either don't want people to think they "sold out" or they lack the self confidence to assimilate in mainstream society. You also see this with some former prisoners who have become "institutionalized". They're out of their comfort zone.

4. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12956660_f260.jpg

Essentially anyone who spouts off about where they are from with "swagger" in their voice is attempting to say they are "tough" or "street smart". In other words "You don't want to mess with me!"
    Instead of saying: "I'm from LA" they'll say "I'm from South Central" or "East LA". Instead saying they're from Chicago they'll say: "I'm from (the South side) or the (West side) of Chicago", "I'm from East St. Louis!" "I'm from the Bronx", "I'm from Brooklyn!"....etc (It's an attempt to gain respect.) They want you to know they didn't grow up in the {nice part} of the city with a "silver spoon" in their mouth.
    They know how to "hustle" and survive! (They're not weak.)
    That's the message they want to send out.
    Pride is a strange thing: If one had nothing they brag about it. Otherwise the alternative is to walk in shame or pretend they had more than they did. Bragging about growing up in a tough area is their way of turning a negative into a positive.
    Somehow saying "I'm from Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, The Hamptons, Manhattan, or West Palm Beach doesn't quite put the fear of God in people. smile
    The perception on "the street" is if you grew up in an affluent neighborhood such as Beverly Hills, CA you're probably "soft".
    You lack "street smarts" and could never survive tough times.
    "You might kick my ass but I'll sue your pants off!" LOL!

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)