Regarding the employment issue, what makes some people able to obtain jobs very

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

Regarding the employment issue, what makes some people able to obtain jobs very easily while there

are others possessing the same or even very superior levels of education, skill sets, &  intelligence who seem to find it extremely difficult to obtain a job & a  subcategory of those even being considered unemployable?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12758209_f260.jpg

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image51
    bradmasterOCcalposted 8 years ago

In my experience, the passive aggressive has a formidable advantage over the capable, talented, educated, and even experienced people. I have seen candidates work their magic of manipulating the interviewer into believing that they are one mind. Many unqualified executives have not only been hired but they easily climbing the ladder, with their once superiors dazed and left on the side of the road. A ladder built on bodies, bodies that were utilized by them for upward mobility.

This is an observation of many decades, over several dozen companies of various sizes and cultures.

Personality, or rather the ability to clone a personality to match that of the Interviewer and hiring person trumps all other attributes. These people are masters of the Peter Principle, exceeding their level of incompetence.

I know of one person, who was a mediocre performance in the hi tech field that rose from worker to VP over the course of his employment. He didn't have a college education, and he was a fair programmer. Using his personality skill set he became  a manager in several companies. The projects that he managed were either poorly done, or failed but that didn't hurt his advancement. Later he moved onto Directing hi tech groups. He dazzled the upper management with his ideas. Unfortunately, he never successfully implemented them. Yet, that didn't stop him from becoming a VP. It just meant that he failed at bigger projects.

I use this as an example of my point, and it is by far not uncommon. Upper mgmt is filled with many weak people that can be controlled by this personality. And they are undetectable to most of the senior mgmt. You would think that poor performance, or inadequate education or experience would rule them out upward mobility, or even getting the foothold in the company, but not in my experience.

As we have seen in the presidential campaign, competence and performance are not the prime attributes for the voters.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I know one guy who was a C student ALL THROUGH COLLEGE & now he is the head of a department.  I know another woman who was at THE BOTTOM of her class & she's a radio executive.  I as an A-B student only achieved mediocre professional success-

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image51
      bradmasterOCcalposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Grace
      It gives credence to the, It is not what you know, but who you know/ There are people that want to get a job done, and there are other people that want to climb the ladder.

3. Austinstar profile image84
    Austinstarposted 8 years ago

In order to succeed in the job market, the applicant must possess "in demand" skills and attitude.
    That's really all there is to it.
    Make yourself indispensable. My skillset allowed me to pick and choose any job, anywhere, anytime. They NEED my skills and very few people would get the training I did in order to perfect those skills.
    (Blood Banking and Laboratory Information Technology)
    Even after being retired for 4 years, I still get job offers simply because there are so few people that specialize in my field.
    You just have to find the right niche of in demand jobs and get the specialized training to do those jobs.

4. cobrien profile image60
    cobrienposted 8 years ago

People who are friendlier and more outgoing tend to be hired before the quieter, more reserved people with the same, or even more, education.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)