Isn't a $250,000 fine just a little bit extreme for not referring to a trans as

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (30 posts)
  1. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 7 years ago

Isn't a $250,000 fine just a little bit extreme for not referring to a trans as their "chosen gender

I think some countries are getting a little bit carried away when it comes to this miniscule percentage of the population.  The prime minister of Canada proposes a bill that will give people jail time for not referring to a person's chosen gender.  Jail time for that?  Or a $250,000 fine?  Are you kidding me?!  Really?  That's going off the deep end, I think.  Thoughts?  BTW, some states in the US already are imposing fines on people.

2. Link10103 profile image60
    Link10103posted 7 years ago

Your first sentence really tells alot about your thought process...

But overall, it is stupid, on a really grand scale.

Now what states are imposing fines on people for saying "she" instead of he/vice versa? Don't quote me on this, but I'm vaguely positive thats against the constitution and all...

1. tsadjatko profile image65
      tsadjatkoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Just because a law isn't constitutional doesn't mean liberal state governments, or the federal government for that matter, won't pass it as a law. Has happened, that's why we have the court system.

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image49
      bradmasterOCcalposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The court and justice system has failed. Name one SCOTUS decision that actually solved a problem and resolved the underlying issues.

3. Aime F profile image69
    Aime Fposted 7 years ago

The bill that was proposed says that people cannot discriminate against transgendered people.  You're exaggerating to make it sound as ridiculous as you personally feel that it is.

1. tamarawilhite profile image86
      tamarawilhiteposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Eugene Volk has already asked, what happens if someone demands to be called Emperor or My Highness as a preferred pronoun?

2. junkseller profile image79
      junksellerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Call them Emperor. What does it matter? Or don't be a jerk who tries to dismiss the 99.9999% of people who will request being called by meaningful and reasonable names/pronouns by citing a hyperbolic and ridiculous possibility.

3. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it matters if you're feeding into someone's insanity.  And no name calling here.

4. junkseller profile image79

If you feel free to call perfectly normal people mentally insane, then I will have no qualms calling an actual jerk a jerk. And just for the record, the jerk was directed at Volokh and I consider it to be factually accurate.

4. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

When the liberal government can mandate who can stand naked in the changing room or shower next to you, don't expect future conservative administrations to stop at the bedroom door.

5. junkseller profile image79
    junksellerposted 7 years ago

What percentage of the population must a group be, before you deem them human?

Don't know about Canada, but there is a similar law in NYC, however, "The law is meant to address situations in which individuals intentionally and repeatedly target transgender and gender non-conforming people with this type of harassment." It isn't meant for accidental or one-time uses.

The only reason to target someone repeatedly and intentionally with harassment is if you are a jerk and anyone so fined will get no sympathy from me.

Transgenderism is a mental illness, less prevalent than depression and schizophrenia. They need help - but not mutilating the body to suit the delusion.

2. junkseller profile image79

Even were we to agree that it is a mental illness (which it isn't according to science and medicine), wouldn't that make targeting them for harassment even worse? Do you pick on all the mentally ill? Or just those who deserve it?

3. profile image0

These so-called scientific reports and "evidence" are completely bogus, and fabricated by the left to spread false ideas.  Any doctor or professional with the truth is run out of business.  Same for Climate Change.

4. junkseller profile image79

I don't really care if you choose to live in complete ignorance. I do, however, care how you treat people. Mental illness or not, you have no justification for harassing these people and I have no problem if you are punished for doing so.

5. Aime F profile image69
      Aime Fposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It's amazing that you believe a vast majority of people who have spent years and years studying something can be so easily swayed to say something untrue and contrary to what they've invested so much time into.

6. profile image0

I'm NOT harassing anyone. I do not treat trans people badly.  In fact, I do not know that I've ever met one.  AIME:  You'd be surprised what people do to others and how one can be swayed by those in power.

7. jlpark profile image79
      jlparkposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Lolita - you probably have met one, even more, you just wouldn't have picked it....why? Because Transwomen look like U or I, or better! And transmen look like your average bloke...if not more masculine. You've prob pee'd next to one too!

8. Aime F profile image69

And of course because you don't agree with them they must have been swayed by someone! I guess it's nice that you think so highly of yourself and your ability to judge psychology beyond everyone else's capabilities.

9. bradmasterOCcal profile image49
      bradmasterOCcalposted 7 years agoin reply to this

When the government forces you to work, that is involuntary servitude. People create businesses to work for themselves, and not the government, although they pay the govt. What is the prob in just going to someone who wants your business.

6. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 7 years ago

I think it's designed to stop the intentional and continued mis naming and intentional mis gendering of another to be discriminatory,and intentionally offensive - which is harassment - if the persons preferred pronouns and name are known to the person doing the misgendering etc.

Most people are ok if you accidentally get it wrong (or didn't know any better) - be they trans people, or others who have names which are difficult to pronounce etc...as long as it wasn't intentional.

Intentionally misgendering is along the lines of intentionally saying racist remarks constantly to a colleague of another race - and is usually in the 'harassment' section of your employment contract (racism, sexual harassment, harassment regarding orientation) - this is merely adding to that. As it is harassment for someone to misgender you constantly and intentionally. (And I note a LOT of people here intentionally refer to Transwomen as men...if this was towards an individual if could be classed as harassment)

It does not help the mentally ill to cater to their delusion, like calling someone who thinks they are Napoleon an Emperor. And a man who thinks his brain doesn't match his body IS mentally ill.

2. jlpark profile image79

tamara - are you a psychologist or a psychiatrist? Hell, even a health professional? No? Then it is not up to you to deem what is appropriate or not in relation to gender dysphoria.

3. profile image0

Tamara tells it like it is.  Many people refuse to see this condition for what it is, and it is sad.  Tamara does not have to have a degree to hold her opinion.  Besides, you didn't even let her answer your question, and answered it for her.

4. Aime F profile image69

It's called a rhetorical question, my dear.

She doesn't have to hold a degree to have an opinion but when it comes to calling someone mentally ill she should probably keep that opinion to herself.

5. jlpark profile image79

yet, I'm an actual health professional. Science, +  the medical profession disagree with her + the medically, psychologically + scientifically recommended 'treatment' is transition 2 gender they identify as. Bcus her way don't work - been done b4

7. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13036431_f260.jpg

So I will be fined if I call this person a "he?" Danielle Muscato claims to be a woman, yet this is how he presents himself to the world. If someone meets him on the street, how are they to know he believes himself to be a woman? Here's your citation, that'll be $250,000!

Part of the problem with all this mess is that there is no legal definition of a transgender person. The trans lobby has made sure of that -- one only has to claim to be the opposite sex and in the eyes of the law they absolutely are the opposite sex. There are no doctor visits, doctor's notes, medication, psychotherapy, or surgeries required. Anyone can claim to be any sex at any time. This is how Christopher Hambrook gained residence at a woman's shelter, where he proceeded to rape two women. Shelter officials knew he was lying about "feeling" like a woman, but their hands were tied and they were forced to admit him as a resident.

1. Aime F profile image69

I don't think she expects people to know she identifies as a woman by looking at her? You wouldn't get fined for using the wrong term accidentally. It's to discourage people from using the wrong terms repeatedly & on purpose as a form of harrassm

2. profile image0

It depends on the transgender person, and whether or not she/he is a jerk.  Couldn't they claim you were harassing them, and it would be your word against theirs?

3. Aime F profile image69

Sure... but that could be said for literally any kind of harrassment/discrimination and not specific to trans people... should we stop enforcing consequences for sexual harrassment? Discrimination against women and minorities?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)