What would you do for work if you had all the money you needed?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)
  1. profile image0
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 7 years ago

What would you do for work if you had all the money you needed?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8646881_f260.jpg

2. spataroM profile image58
    spataroMposted 7 years ago

I would be a farmer on my own self sufficient property what about you?

1. profile image0
      lisasuniquevoiceposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Mathieu,
      Being a farmer would be so cool! I would love to grow some crops right here in Michigan, but the  animals keep eating the plants. I could put up a fence, but it would have to be at least six feet to keep out the deer.
      Thanks,
      Lisa

3. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 7 years ago

I would travel the world attending big conferences as a keynote speaker where I would persuade people to "think about what they would do for work if they had all the money they needed."

4. kallini2010 profile image81
    kallini2010posted 7 years ago

Since it is sheer impossibility that I would have all the money I needed..., I have never given it a proper thought. I know that I don't want to win a lottery (I don't play) because as I know most winners usually end up being worse off than they were before "winning".

I'm a firm believer in the principle "You gain when you lose and you lose when you gain".

I've lost enough to realize  that this principle is true, regardless of how counter-intuitive it sounds. But have I lost enough to lose the fear of l losing? No, not nearly enough.

But in case of "if money was, indeed, no object" - they would become "a subject" in a drama "Nothing is ever enough" - the more I have, the more I want.

The question becomes then "How much will it be enough to have freedom to do what one wants to do?" Which in my case would translate "How much do I need to be comfortable spending time to figure out what it is that I actually want.

For that - I would need (correction: I would like to have) - a comfortable place to live (an apartment will do), a mode of transportation in order not to depend on public transit and its limitations and a few pieces of modern technology like a computer, a phone and such...

That would be my first thing - get a place to be comfortable enough, but not remote from the city or the people.

Will my modest wish provoke a monstrous appetite? It might.

[Just as I was rereading the post before pressing "submit answer" - I remembered "Oh, I need to fix this, and, oh, I need to fix that... and my son would probably would ask for... and maybe I need to spend on his education, vacation and ... well,... give me another day and that list will be a few kilometers long].

And, and, and... I would be able to afford dancing, and, and, and I would be writing, and, and, and, I will hire help to take care of mundane things like cleaning...

Does it sound about right?

1. Tusitala Tom profile image65
      Tusitala Tomposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Methinks you need to buy and study the contents of Joseph Murphy's bestseller, 'The Power of Your Subconscious Mind.'

5. Little Elvis profile image85
    Little Elvisposted 7 years ago

I'd be a chiller haha, and do writing as a part time job.

6. thomasczech profile image44
    thomasczechposted 7 years ago

I have thought about this before. There are two things I enjoy; I enjoy sailing, so I thought about buying about and sail around the world again. I also enjoy farming, so I thought I would grow food and help the food banks, the people in need. One is more selfish than the other. Good question.

1. profile image0
      lisasuniquevoiceposted 7 years agoin reply to this

thomasczech,
      You could sail the world's oceans, then you could come home and grow food until you wanted to go out again. Why not do everything you always wanted to do!
      Thanks,
      Lisa

7. tsmog profile image85
    tsmogposted 7 years ago

I would like to care for the person I love most and help her to achieve her dreams and live happily. I do that now, but it would be nice if I could change some of the circumstances.

8. Ronyae profile image67
    Ronyaeposted 7 years ago

The same thing I do now: writing & publishing; my passion motivates me, but having a comfortable cash flow helps a lot!

9. profile image49
    James Helmposted 7 years ago

Help the less fortunate, and try to leave the world in a better place than when I arrived.

10. claptona profile image66
    claptonaposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13235220_f260.jpg

Hey, Lisa,
    Ya know, I'm in that position right now and doing exactly what I want to do.
    I write when I want to and take photos when I want to.
    If I get tired or bored in a place, I put all my things into my car, and I move to a different city or country. Rinse and repeat.
    As content as I think I will ever be.
    Most people have that "freedom" within their grasp. 
    Most are not willing to do the work, or learn the skill or make the decision to do what your suggesting.
    Lots of reasons why there will never be enough money, time or any other excuse that people can come up with.
    But' I'll tell you right now - if you can find that freedom, grasp it and hold onto it, appreciate it for what it is - a marvelous experience.
    Hope you find what you're looking for!
    Cheers

1. Tusitala Tom profile image65
      Tusitala Tomposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Let's assume everyone in the world can do exactly what they want work-wise.   Could big, complex, multi-national private and governmental institutions exist?   Who'd want to work in them?  Not much freedom in those roles.  Just a thought.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)