Was D. Trump testing T. Cruz's strength/courage by giving him the opportunity to

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (38 posts)
  1. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 7 years ago

Was D. Trump testing T. Cruz's strength/courage by giving him the opportunity to speak?

The opportunity to speak at the convention was a chance for the Trump camp to evaluate Cruz's willingness to stand firm as they consider positions they will potentially fill.  Aren't there other possible reasons to suspect that the entire situation was planned?

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years ago

I think Trump was probably giving Cruz enough rope to hang himself, which he may have done, depending on how Trump comes out of this election.  It will be interesting to watch, if nothing else.

1. profile image0
      RTalloniposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Interesting to watch, surely. One supposition is that Trump has learned some lessons from past mistakes and sees his need to choose people who will not cave to his forcefulness. Finding out who he can trust to stand up to him would be a smart move.

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image49
      bradmasterOCcalposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It really looked like Trump thought that Cruz was going to follow Ryan's example.
      But like Hillary Clinton's criminal dismissal by FBI Comey the ending of the speech baffles the journey. The ending is not supported by start and middle.

3. profile image0

Confusing, at best, but even that may have been strategy to test the waters of public opinion.

3. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 7 years ago

I wonder what maneuver Trump could have done to get more Cruz supporters behind him now. Just a cursory look at the talking heads and it appears it swayed many against Cruz. Trump had his speech before hand so he had to calculate something. Perhaps now even I can see the lameness of conservatives not backing Trump -- of course as opposed to letting Clinton win.
    Personally I lost all respect for Cruz and find those that still back him kind of blind, he has issues, that make me wince.
    Also I think it kind of strategic to give the convention someone to boo. Highlighting the enemies of Trump and giving the delegates someone to rally against. People need a good villain to be ousted from their ranks.

1. profile image0

The possible strategies involved in the decision to invite Cruz to speak are a lot of food for thought!

4. Johnny James A profile image59
    Johnny James Aposted 7 years ago

I don't think it was a test of strength, but I do think it was a clever ploy.  Whether you like Donald or not, and I am not a huge fan of Donald, I do admit he knows how to maneuver himself in business and in politics to give himself the best chance at being successful.  His prior attempts at running for President I believe were more for publicity, however, this time I think he honestly thought he had a chance and is doing well in the polls.  That being said he is in an interesting position as the Republican party seems fractured.  It is almost like there are three active parties (democrats, middle of the road Republicans and extreme right wingers).  Even if the Republicans continue to hold on to the Congress, Donald needs to know how strong the extreme Republican movement is.  If he can show the rest of the Republicans that he is the senate King maker and House king maker, i.e. he can effect which Republicans will get elected or hold on to their seats then he will have a lot of power. If Trump is elected as President, then Cruz's next run in 2018 could be problematic.  If however, Trump loses the election then Cruz will look good for standing up against Trump and telling the Republicans they should have gone with another candidate or backed another candidate more strongly prior to Trump's political surge. This is a game of chess and both are playing to win and not a stalemate.

1. peoplepower73 profile image90
      peoplepower73posted 7 years agoin reply to this

If Hillary gets elected, then it becomes a moot point.  But if she doesn't then who knows what Cruz will do by 2020?

James
      Cruz's Queen is Dead. Game over. He couldn't even take out the other pieces like Rubio, and Jeb Bush. They will have a better chance in the next election if Trump loses. Kasich showed even worse than Cruz. Neither will survive the game.

3. profile image0

The game will only become more interesting as strategies evolve.

5. tamarawilhite profile image87
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

By showing up at the "vote your conscience" section and Pence's great "vote your conscience for Trump" speech, he turned a politician trying to weasel into 2016 Presidency into an endorsement. And he proved the "lying Ted" narrative by getting Cruz to admit he couldn't endorse Trump despite promising to do so.
    Letting Ted Cruz speak and get discredited while turning it into an endorsement, he strengthened his position on all fronts.

1. profile image0

Insightful observations are clues to be even more watchful, aren't they?

6. peoplepower73 profile image90
    peoplepower73posted 7 years ago

What would you do if your father and wife were maligned by Trump? Trump said Cruz's dad was associated with JFK's assassination and he implied his wife was ugly compared to Malania.

1. profile image0

A response to that sort of attack is opportunity to raise the bar of public opinion and political behavior, or do the opposite. Not allowing personal feelings to interfere with taking that opportunity would up a candidate's position a notch or two.

Mike
      What if Trump's statement about Cruz's father is True?

3. peoplepower73 profile image90
      peoplepower73posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Brad:  If it's true, then where is the evidence?  What if it's not true?  Then Trump is a liar.

4. profile image0
      Hxprofposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Trump loves to make crap up.  He talks on the fly - and that's part of his appeal, but what he says on the fly is often just ugly.  He has no evidence the Cruz's father was associated with Oswald.  If he does, I'll come back and admit Trump was right

5. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm with Mike on this one. Those who malign Cruz have no idea what they're talking about---primarily because they do not realize the depth of a "Latin" man's respect for family and dignity. Trump owed Cruz an apology. He was lucky to have Cruz speak

6. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Whoa this is dead wrong. In my hood we have plenty of Hispanic men head of households. They have higher percentage of domestic violence than our immigrants from around the globe. Machismo is the blamed reason. Bad stuff Cruz preaches.

7. Johnny James A profile image59
      Johnny James Aposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Trump's comments about Carson, Cruz, & Judge Curiel were totally out of line and no excuse should be given for them. Trump needs to start producing proof prior to making statements, rather than making statement & saying someone should prove h

8. profile image0

I agree. Trump's made up stories only leave more room for doubt about him, as a man, not to mention the Republican nominee. Our Party is better than that.

9. Ericdierker profile image45

Oh I get now. When I hold my child to a higher standard than his peers we grow together. And excel. I think it is good to hold Trump to a higher standard than  Hillary. He will rise to it and excel. Hillary has proven she cannot handle such and hides

10. profile image0

Eric, domestic violence is ramant in all races and socio-economic groups. Your comment about Hispanics is insulting and reveals ignorance about the facts. Consider yourself flagged. If Trump believes as you do, I want nothing to do with him.

11. Ericdierker profile image45

What the heck does "flagged" mean? I would venture you do not even speak Mexican Spanish. If at all Castillion. You clearly do not live next to the Border and have Mexican "illegal" buddies like we do around here. You sound Whitebread.

12. MarleneB profile image91
      MarleneBposted 7 years agoin reply to this

savvydating, I'm just curious. What does "flagged" mean? Who flags people?

13. profile image0

Marlene, flagegged means to contact HP via the flag icon on the top of the page. Insults and hate rhetoric are not allowed by HP rules.

14. Ericdierker profile image45

really savvy you endorse macho stuff like beating a wife because....
      This notion of honor is wrongful and wicked. Cruz is a machismo idiot.
      I hate you because you dissed my wife? Really? What does that teach my neighbor gang member?

15. MarleneB profile image91

OK, thank you savvydating. I was just trying to follow the thread and wondering what flagged meant.

16. profile image0

Eric, I do not endorse that. You are way out of line and it is not the first time you have made wrong assumptions about me. You should quit speaking in this strange manner.

17. Ericdierker profile image45

Savvy I am so sorry to have a different opinion than yours. And can you even imagine how rude of me to make that known to others? Wow I  reckon that because you flagged me -- I should be fearful of exercising my right to free speech.

7. MarleneB profile image91
    MarleneBposted 7 years ago

I think Donald Trump knew what he was doing when he let Ted Cruz speak. Trump already knew what Cruz was going to say, yet he let him speak anyway. Trump knew that letting Cruz show his faulty intentions would show the world who Cruz really is. Trump would not have to say a word against him. Cruz would tell all.

One of the first lessons I learned in business is, "The person who talks the most is the person who loses the most." So, Trump gave Cruz the stage and let Cruz talk himself into the ground. Yes, Trump knew very well what he was doing. Cruz spoke and showed his true character. I would never, ever vote for Cruz for any office... ever!

1. profile image0

In seeing the usefulness of him now we can't help but wonder if the strengths might not be appealing to Trump in the future, especially if Cruz learns from mistakes.  Those that don't learn from their mistakes are the ones who are most dangerous.

2. MarleneB profile image91

Yes, RTalloni, I do see Cruz's strengths, but I think his timing was all wrong. There is a time for everything and that time on the stage was not the time to be saying what he said. But, yes let's see if he learns from his mistakes.

3. profile image0

Cruz was right to speak as he did. You do not insult all of Latin America and get away with it. Do some research. Trump has repeatedly insulted Hispanics and Mexican Americans. You cannot relate, but I do...as do many other decent people, MB.

4. MarleneB profile image91

Dear savvydating, a question was asked. I answered. I am entitled to my opinion as are you. I surely don't appreciate you inferring that I am not a decent person. Perhaps you should be "flagged."

5. profile image0

Marlene, I was speaking in general terms. For more information on HP rules, you can go to the Help section. You will find a plethora of information there.

8. profile image0
    savvydatingposted 7 years ago

No. Trump doesn't know anything about strength and courage. If he did, he wouldn't have such a huge ego. Furthermore, he would have apologized to Cruz for disrespecting his family. I like Cruz better than ever. He is not the sort of man to grovel to the likes of Trump. Cruz's speech was perfect.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)