Why do the rules change when thinking and speaking about religious beliefs?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)
  1. Dr CHE Sadaphal profile image61
    Dr CHE Sadaphalposted 7 years ago

Why do the rules change when thinking and speaking about religious beliefs?

Some people tend not to use rational, instrumental reasoning when it comes to religious beliefs in general or to what they regard as "sacred values." This has been validated by anthropological studies (e.g., http://www-personal.umich.edu/~axe/negj0708.pdf) and can even extend beyond the domain of faith. If people process evidence differently, how can a person reliably and objectively ascertain what is in fact true when it comes to religious belief?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13118460_f260.jpg

2. profile image51
    Norine Williamsposted 7 years ago

First of all Dr., we must consider the WORD of GOD and THAT "ONLY!"  Most believe what they've been "taught" vs what the WORD of GOD actually SAYS!

Do you think GOD has thousands of different opinions concerning Salvation?  Did HE not leave HIS WORD for instruction for Salvation?  Why then don't we "STUDY" for ourselves to see what HE told us we MUST do for Salvation? 

Before HE left the earth, HE told us what to do which was to "OBSERVE" the apostles (Matthew 28:20)!  HE told us HE would not leave us alone (John 14:26), HE would return in the Spirit to HELP us (John 16:13)!  HE told us to "WAIT" for the HELP (Acts 1:4)!  HE sent the PROMISED HELP in Acts 2:2!  However, MOST did not "WAIT!"  MOST were "taught" the HELP (aka Holy Spirit) is not politically or religiously correct and is something that happened in ancient days although Scripture says in Hebrews 13:8 "JESUS CHRIST is the same yesterday, today and forever" but who cares? 

Consequently, they have "leaned to their own understanding" (Proverbs 3:5) and have created over 33,000 plus denominations in the US alone!   

Do you know GOD has ONE MIND and is ONE SPIRIT?  Why then have we disconnected from HIM by "believing" man's opinion that the Holy Spirit is "mystic and demonic" and is something that happened in ancient days or is not politically or religiously correct?  Not receiving the "gift" of the Holy Spirit cuts off ALL connection with HIM for "leadership and guidance" and the ability to have that ONE MIND! 

Why do they think the Holy Spirit is a warm fuzzy feeling that teaches man's natural "love" or one does not have? Is that how the Holy Spirit is defined in Scripture?  In Acts 2, didn't It say "a rushing mighty wind" and "FIRE" sat upon each of them?"  Does one really think when "FIRE" sat upon someone, they will react politically or religiously correct?  Did the disciples who had received the Holy Spirit not appear to unbelievers as "men that were full of new wine" (Acts 2:13)? 

Where do we get our "thinking?"  Certainly NOT from Scripture!  Therefore, MOST have been "taught," either by "traditions, schools and/or seminaries, popes, priests and pastors, or their "own" interpretation rather than "WAITING" for the HELP JESUS "COMMANDED" of us!

LORD HAVE MERCY!   

And MOST "think" they are "Christians" yet haven't followed commandments!

You were right in saying "PEOPLE process evidence differently..." but the HOLY SPIRIT doesn't and is why we should "WAIT," to be of that ONE MIND and HE (aka JESUS/HOLY SPIRIT) will  REVEAL "what is in fact true when it comes to" SALVATION!

1. Dr CHE Sadaphal profile image61
      Dr CHE Sadaphalposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I don't necessarily disagree with most of what you said, but the fact still remains: many subscribers to a faith (Christian or not) validate that belief by saying, "I feel" rather than "I think" or "I came to know after weighing the evidence."

2. profile image51
      Norine Williamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes, they do "feel," but with their "gut!" Phil 3:19 says "Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, & whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things."
      This is an ALL SPIRITUAL journey (Jn 4:23-24) & ANYTHING ELSE "null" (Rm

3. thomasczech profile image44
    thomasczechposted 7 years ago

Goos question. When I speak about my faith, I use scripture to back up what I believe. I had a very intense discussion with a catholic. It didn't go well, because he tried to twist what I was saying in order to justify his beliefs. However, it did no work, one can not argue against the word of God. So he got angry. Then I decided to write him so he can read where I was coming from. Please read here what I wrote, I made it into a hub.  http://hubpages.com/religion-philosophy … s-unveiled Please share it as well if you like. Thanks

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)