What do you call the media that is not the "Main Stream Media?"

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)
  1. peoplepower73 profile image89
    peoplepower73posted 7 years ago

What do you call the media that is not the "Main Stream Media?"

ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC, et, al are called the main stream (or as some people call it "Lame Stream") media.  What do you call, Fox News, Breitbart, Drudge Report, Alt Right, et al?  And how does one distinguish fake news from real news anymore? I noticed now on hub pages, sources for information can be cited and it means nothing to people who would rather not accept the source, even if the sources as are as close as one can get to the facts.  Facts are meaningless anymore, because there are so many versions of the same topic or event and people choose to believe what fits their values and beliefs

2. jackclee lm profile image82
    jackclee lmposted 7 years ago

There is main street media, nyt, abc, cbs, nbc and there is cable news, cnn, fox, msnbc and AON...
    It is up to the viewer to determine who is telling the truth and what are their bias. All outfits have a bias whether they admit it or not. That's ok to have bias just so the people are told up front. What makes for fake news are like the onion, and daily show and colbert report who uses satire to report the news. They are NOT news, not even close.
    I check all sorces and even check some snope sites to make sure the news is not a spoof. good luck getting to the truth. I blame joirnalism for abandoning their mandate to keep tabs on people in power. Where are woodward and berstein of today???

1. peoplepower73 profile image89
      peoplepower73posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Jack: Why is it that the Daily Show and Colbert have noted guests, like Trump, Obama, McCain, Biden, and others of those positions if it is fake news?  Their satire is used to point out the fakery and hypocrisy in political deception.

3. lisavollrath profile image92
    lisavollrathposted 7 years ago

Fox News, Breitbart, Drudge Report, and their ilk are all right-wing sites.

Fox News is supposed to be a news organization, but their stories have always skewed right.

Breitbart calls itself a news, opinion and commentary site. Their "news" tends to be heavy on opinion and commentary, and light on all the facts. I would call it an opinion site.

Drudge Report is a conservative news aggregation site. That means they link to other people's news stories, rather than writing their own. They have a long history of misrepresenting stories. I would call this a blog, not a news site, because they're not producing or researching news on their own.

As for what I would call this mess, I would say "right-wing blogs" or "right-wing sites", not news. Any time anyone cites one of these web sites as their source, I Google the story. Nine times out of ten, the story is bogus, and unsupported with any facts. For me, facts that are supported and verified are news. Opinion isn't news.

1. jackclee lm profile image82
      jackclee lmposted 7 years agoin reply to this

What about news that don't make it to the nyt or abc or nbc or cbs? What do you call that? There are many news items that are not reported where others are exaggerated. I put abu graib prison scandal on the top of that list...It was headline new nyt

2. peoplepower73 profile image89
      peoplepower73posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Lisa:  Thank you for you answer and I like your last sentence.  "Opinion isn't news."  As a matter of fact opinion can sometimes be used as propaganda.  Talking head panels on both sides can be used as propaganda to spin the truth.

3. lisavollrath profile image92
      lisavollrathposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree, Mike. Bring back Huntley-Brinkely, and Uncle Walter! They delivered the facts, without opinion. Lately, I feel like it's hard to get down to what is real, and what someone simply pulled from thin air, or from their own agenda.

4. MizBejabbers profile image87
      MizBejabbersposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree, Opinion certainly isn't news, that's why there are special sections in most newspapers for editorial opinions and public opinions. Too bad major news channels don't differentiate.

4. Craig Suits profile image64
    Craig Suitsposted 7 years ago

I'm 75 now and for many years the news was the news, the truth told without any political shenanigans, or at least I thought so. Now I'm not so sure. These days it's all politics. many times over the years I've written that we are very lucky to have the main stream media as a kind of third party keeping the other two in check by reporting the truth all day everyday.
    I had a huge disagreement with one of my kids as to who was going to win this years election so I watched all the news media including YouTube, Drudge, Politico, Infowars, and all the main stream media outlets at least a dozen times a day since the election began.
    I still can't believe what a bunch on BS liar's the main stream media has become. You know exactly what I'm talking about and to be honest, they have done this country a grave injustice. There used to be a time where you got sued for lying about someone or something.
    Here's the bottom line: This country cannot tolerate any entity with the power of the media printing or saying on TV anything they wish if it is not 100% true. Controls must put in place that will prevent any main stream media from saying or printing absolutely anything that isn't 100% true without any opinions suggesting the reader or listener read something else into the printed material or comments outside of the editorial departments that should exercise freedom of speech.

These guidelines should be strictly enforced by an FCC oversight committee set up solely to keep an eye on the media. Any transgression by the media would immediately garnish huge fines, possible loss of various licenses to operate, and even jail time.
    There are many ways to spin the truth and make it sound like the complete opposite as you know and the media that can make the most noise for the longest time is likely to be the media that is to be believed no matter what they say. Case in point, Adolf Hitler and Nazi Germany.
    This media propaganda BS cannot be allowed to continue....

1. jackclee lm profile image82
      jackclee lmposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree. The media was singled out in the Constitution to be the watchdog over our elected officials. They have a real responsibility at the truth. Without it, wr are all blind. We can't all be investigative journalists.

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image49
      bradmasterOCcalposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree, and further, there are no NEWS stations because no one reports the NEWS. Reporting the News doesn't include commentary, conclusions, suppositions, opinions are anything NOt a Fact. and the story has to have had its "FACTS" checked and rechke

5. peoplepower73 profile image89
    peoplepower73posted 7 years ago

Good answers everybody. But I'm from the generation of Walter Conkite,  Huntley Brinkley, and even Edward R, Murrow.  There were no Gimmicks.  They just presented the news only once, each night.  There were no panels and no 24 hour news cycles and echo chambers. 

Huntley presented one view of the news and Brinkley presented the opposing view.  There were comedians that presented political satire to point out hypocrisies in thinking and is still used that way today.  I think when Reagan removed the Fairness Doctrine is when the news split into the liberal and conservative camps. Because of the digital technology today, the news can be presented in so many flavors and you get to choose what is real, what is fake and what is simply spinning the facts.

6. MizBejabbers profile image87
    MizBejabbersposted 7 years ago

As a professional journalist, we were taught that there were three kinds of journalism (news): main stream, specialty (still credible news but published by religious organizations with a religious slant), and Yellow Journalism.

So, if it isn't mainstream and it isn't specialty, then it's YELLOW JOURNALISM.

7. bradmasterOCcal profile image49
    bradmasterOCcalposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12716823_f260.jpg

It has nothing to do with wings, left or right, it is not news.
    We don't really have NEWS anymore. Not in print, not on TV, and of course not on the Internet.

We are lucky if these sources can actually verify the facts.
    Remember on 911, the MSM reported that a light plane hit the WTC. Anyone that could have been at the scene and made that report was so wrong, that it makes you wonder if they actually saw it.

When Cable News was created, the Real News started into a death roll. It has been dead for a long time now. You notice that MSM is not MSN, where M is Media not NEWS.
    The MSM is not interested in reporting the news, it is interested in selling advertising and making profits. Controversy brings in viewers, much like the audience when the Romans advertised the Christians versus the Lions. Although, the Lions were undefeated, I imagine.

The MSM is not the 4th estate, it is more like the rumor mill. Headlines are just a way of attacking because, it is like pressing on a open toothpaste tube, once it gets out, it won't go back in.
    The "News" agencies have become a 4th branch of govt. It is the steroid version of the court of public opinion, sans public.

It is also like the X Files premise, People want to believe.
    A special kind of media rumor are the political polls. They are really a mechanism of social reengineering. IMO, instead of monitoring the opinion of the people, they are actually using the results of these polls to create the public opinion they want to set. This then creates a domino affect to the next poll, and so on.
    Remember, how wrong the polls were in this election.

I always thought it was ridiculous to listen to a speech, and then have someone tell me what I should think it means. The whole MSM are filled with Pundit Puppets, both wings have them.

They however do little to change the majority of the loyal party voters. It is like the wild predators, most of their kills come from the weak, because the healthy are too fast and smart for them to get.

My answer is MSM doesn't have an opposite like the NEWS.
    Yellow journalism last century wounded the News, but the Creation of Cable News, and Internet News put a mortal stake into it.
    RIP

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)