Fines for Not having health insurance?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (47 posts)
  1. jiberish profile image79
    jiberishposted 14 years ago

From Politico:
    Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.) received a handwritten note Thursday from Joint Committee on Taxation Chief of Staff Tom Barthold confirming the penalty for failing to pay the up to $1,900 fee for not buying health insurance.

Violators could be charged with a misdemeanor and could face up to a year in jail or a $25,000 penalty, Barthold wrote on JCT letterhead. He signed it "Sincerely, Thomas A. Barthold."

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its a good thing Obama isn't a tyrant or we could really be in trouble!

jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This letter was in answer to Ensign's question:

"We could be subjecting those very people who conscientiously, because they believe in the U.S. Constitution, we could be subjecting them to fines or the interpretation of a judge, all the way up to imprisonment," Ensign said. "That seems to me to be a problem."

WASHINGTON (AP) - House Democrats are considering a tax on high-cost insurance plans to help pay for health care overhaul that tops President Barack Obama's domestic agenda

2. jiberish profile image79

WASHINGTON (AP) - House Democrats are considering a tax on high-cost insurance plans to help pay for health care overhaul that tops President Barack Obama's domestic agenda

1. profile image0

They are gonna do something no matter what we say! It will cost them them big in 2010 and 2012, but its their own fault!

3. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

What if...God forbid...it's not as bad as you think it might be?

Here's a question....Those who don't have health insurance, obviously can't afford it now....what if they are required to sign up as stated or be fined?  It is NOT going to be FREE.

2. nicomp profile image62
      nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It already is. The constitution is being abused. That's offensive enough for me.

3. lrohner profile image69
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

UW, I'm surprised at you! Putting people in jail for not having health insurance? I lived in Florida where people got hefty fines for letting the sucklings (whatever they are) on the trees in front of their house grow more than 2 inches. Both seem fairly ridiculous to me.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is no evidence that that will happen. I doubt it would.

4. nicomp profile image62
    nicompposted 14 years ago

If that passes, we can only hope there are enough patriots who will challenge it. Drop insurance, get fined, refuse to pay, get charged with a crime, and pursue the case through the court system until it reaches the Supreme Court.

In other words, guarantee it won't work.

1. nicomp profile image62

You lost me.

You won't allow it to have a chance to work even if it turns out not to be what you expect.

Again:  Here's a question....Those who don't have health insurance, obviously can't afford it now....what if they are required to sign up as stated or be fined?  It is NOT going to be FREE.

You said that already. I am sure you will have to have a certain amount of income before they fine you for not having it if that is what will be required. And it is still what if.

The Bacous amendment included a minimum income level before the fines kicked in. It's sickening that the federal government is reduced to fining citizens for not buying insurance AND for buying insurance that they deem is too expensive.

You are getting sickened by something that you don't even know is true.

2. dutchman1951 profile image60
                dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Uninvited???
                The Poverty level is 14,000 a year or less
                are you saying that if you are below that level, you will not be fined?

I think that is part of the current argument over the public option...not sure though. To me that would be un-equal treatment of american citizens, all or none if you ask me.

Jon

2. Misha profile image64
            Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Umm, you lost me too Susan. smile

What to have a chance to work? A jail time?

2. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly.  And I'm one of those between a rock and a hard place.  Have paid my own way (no insurance) for most of my life, have no insurance now, and want very much to be one of those willing to take the hit and hang in there through whatever the consequences have to be.

Trouble is, I've ALSO got a disabled wife who would come completely apart if I were tossed in jail and/or federal prison for standing up.  She believes as I do, we're very much on the same page, but I'm the one who's helped her stay alive for 13 years, and continuing with that mission is no small responsibility.  I have no fear whatsoever of prison but all the fear in the world of failing Pam.

It is truly astounding, the massive numbers of folks out there--well intentioned people for the most part--who remain unable to sense the horror stalking all of us in the form of this compulsory facet of the President's dictatorial proposal.

1. lrohner profile image69

Well said, Ghost. Read this thread to see how stupid the Canadians think we are:  http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/22816

5. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

So how am I going to buy insurance when I can't even afford gas for my car after losing my job to this strengthening economy? Now I'm to be punished for poverty? Isn't this no different then the debtors prisons of 19th century England? You're going to punish me for being broke by fining me then imprisoning me if I can't pay. That makes perfect sense. meanwhile millions collect disability for obesity and fraudulent conditions, yet after serving my country and busting my ass for the last fifteen years I can't even get unemployment benefits that I have paid into my entire adult life. Yeah that seems fair.

Why do you want the government to pay for for not working?

Isn't the point of paying into unemployment so you will get some back when you need it?

I repeat, why should the federal government pay anyone for not working?

1. profile image0

Nicomp the federal government can't pay for anything! If he has payed into unemployment it is his money! Taxes are collected from us! They don't have money that didn't come from us! Get it?

1. lrohner profile image69

Because, at least in my case, the Connecticut government has managed to run all of the jobs out of the state. There's nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero. No one wants to own a company here. They pay unemployment so that all of the people won't leave as well. After all, a government can't govern without people, can they?

2. profile image0

I don't think he is saying that!

An Unemployment Check is a payment for not working, is it not? I've never received one, so I don't know.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

the link is broken

try again. I edited it

that is from sept 9th, what I posted is from yesterday

7. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 14 years ago

Susan, the bad news is, the right wingers are right about Baucus's plan. It was essentially written by insurance industry lobbyists and is awful.

For more about the legislative mess that is the current state of health care reform, this is a good (but slightly out of date and also depressing) article from the perspective of a fellow progressive who supports a single payer system: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/st … _and_wrong

The good news is, you're right that accommodations have been made to ease the burden on low income families. One of the versions of Baucus's bill (not sure if it's the most recent) offered tax credits for families that make up to three times the federal poverty limit to help cover the costs, which would theoretically cover everyone from households of 1 making up to ~$30,000 to households of 8 making ~$100,000.

8. qbanmamiof2 profile image61
    qbanmamiof2posted 14 years ago

With all this healthcare reform I am heavily surprised. Isn't that the beauty of this country where we are free?????

I did hear a rumor that USA was a free country maybe I heard wrong.

Healthcare should be a choice NOT an obligation therefore passing a law that FORCES you to buy health insurance is against this country's morals is it not?

You choose to go to the Doctor if you want to be checked out or if you're sick. ALL ER'S have the obligation to stabalize you if you come in with an emergency regardless of your citizenship status, financial capabilities or if you have insurance or not. That is hospital policy but you choose to go, no one can force you to go to a doctor or hospital.

THis plan is utterly absurd!!!  grrr... makes me mad

9. jiberish profile image79

This is the hand writen note about the fines:

http://www.politico.com/livepulse/0909/ … ml?showall

2. profile image0

Slight refinement:  It's "Max Baucus".  He's from Montana and a total politician in all of the negative meanings of that term.  I know this from numerous angles but will mention just one:

In the early 1990s, the Feds were planning to put a HAARP tower in the Bitterroot Valley.  The area fired up in outrage, and a "town meeting" was held in the basement of the courtroom in Hamilton.  My ex-wife, Sadie, and I attended.  Keynote speaker was Senator Max Baucus, reinforced by an Air Force officer.  Key speakers in opposition were Ravalli County Sheriff Jay Printz and a host of us local folks.

When it was over, Sadie turned to me and said, "It's good, right?  We defeated it?"

"You didn't hear what Baucus was really saying," I told her.  "He never said they'd change what they intend to do with HAARP; they're just moving that one tower over the mountain into Idaho because of we're making noise here." 

And so they did.

1. dutchman1951 profile image60

This is good to know, thank you
        Jon

1. profile image0

Um...yes...except "just a tower" in HAARP terms is something else.  In the event of war, when the towers could be activated by the government, EMPs (electromagnetic pulses) would emanate from those towers to shut down all electronics in a wide radius.  In other words, your car would stop instantly, as well as your electric clock, etc. etc.  Maybe your pacemaker, too. 

The Air Force Officer even admitted that the move of the tower over the mountain to Idaho wasn't REALLY going to help the Bitterroot Valley all that much--the pulses travel for an expanding radius of something like 300 miles and go like through mountains like boiling water through cheesecloth.

1. dutchman1951 profile image60

I did not realise this, your right, this is no good at all.
            Makes me wounder if around Tulahoma and Chattanooga if we have same, but have not been told anything?

2. jiberish profile image79

Sorry, I was in a hurry, MAX.

10. jiberish profile image79

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/rohr … ode=8968-1

“As we gather here in the nation’s capital, another illegal alien amnesty bill has been introduced in the Senate,” Stein warned. “Like its predecessor, this bill rewards millions of people who broke our laws with the gift of American citizenship…”

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)