Is arguing good? I have a friend or two that put out passive aggressive stuff bu

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 7 years ago

Is arguing good? I have a friend or two that put out passive aggressive stuff but demand peacefulnes

What is this with folks who say they only peace or only love but repost things that are only antagonistic. They do not proclaim their views and seem to be neutral but they repost totally biased stuff. I think we should show clearly and state clearly our bias and be proud of it. This notion of "I love love and peace" but then reposting divisive stuff is cowardice in my opinion. Attacking someone who opposes you is second to this position. Attacking someone for opposing antagonism is arrogance.

2. profile image0
    threekeysposted 7 years ago

Life and people are complex. I wish there was one set recipe to finding personal resolution to differences, but there isn't. At least not to my finding.
    Personally, debating or arguing can be healthy if it is open, clean and direct-above the belt.  The problem lies when the differences or debate is below the belt where all the past is brought into the present moment. The present dilemma has a hard time seeing light with all the dumping. For me, when the debate or argument is over, and your relationship is still basically in tact, to me that is saying you have a healthy, organic relaitionship. Probably, in a funny kind of you have strengthened your relationship. Now, I am not condoning a household where fights are the norm. I personally would walk out of a angry household.I don't want it and I don't care for it.
    Some relationships are just more peaceful and easy going than others.And I am for that. Other people may find baiting one another or arguing as a turn on. I know of such a couple. It makes you wonder how they stayed married for so long, but being antagonists works for their KIND OF relationship. Each to their own, I say.
    As long as your relationship works for you and your partner, it's no one else's concern or business, in my personal opinion.

Ericdierkerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Marvelous treatment here ThreeKeys. Some arguments to me seem like someone brought a machine gun to a verbal fight. I am thinking that the biggest stumbling block to making an argument constructive rather that destructive is in the ego. Thanks.

3. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

Liberals tend to rank high on the personality trait of agreeableness, that you have to have apparent public consensus and peace - ignoring the fact that this can silence legitimate concerns or enable evil by saying it is wrong to point out the evil acts.
    Liberals acting as if calling out the link between Islam and terrorism is worse than terrorism is a classic example of this. The deliberate silencing of victims of Muslim rape gangs in the EU because the reputation of the poor little refugees as harmless and helpless is another. So Germany arrests critics of Muslim rape gangs under hate speech laws and segregates public transport and swimming pools to protect women, instead of going after rapists.
    Yes we are obligated to hate evil, call it out and challenge it. And no, having a different opinion is not evil. But the liberal demand that we all agree with their dogma or risk hate mobbing or assault by liberals is a threat to freedom and civil rights as well as enabling real evil.

You speak eloquently and make a case for hating that which is not in keeping with your understanding. I appreciate that. But you have kicked your heart of love to the curb. Man does not win battles. God does. Be careful that your hate....

2. tamarawilhite profile image86
      tamarawilhiteposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Condemning a murderer or rapist is not evil. And misplaced compassion, something many liberals do in the name of love, enables evil.

4. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 7 years ago

To me arguing is an oxymoron. Or, arguing is not good, but can be constructive. The bottom line is arguing (Argue) has two meanings. One is providing rational reasoning for justifying a position. That will have some kind of decorum like debate, the courtroom, or some such. The other is a heated exchange between two or more positions. The latter is led by emotions, which do change.

Essentially arguing is combative and seeks to win, lose, or draw as an outcome. Thus, an oxymoron that may be a paradox when considering the ebb and flow of exchange between rational and emotional while emotive may be a strategy. In other words, S/he lost the argument because of their emotions.

I like your response Tim. Isn't it interesting that we call one of the greatest arguments for civil society and man an Apology - Socrates. I was also thinking of the arguing that goes on in between the ears.

2. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I argue with myself all the time. More so since growing older and reassessing values.

5. profile image0
    lambservantposted 7 years ago

Amen. I couldn't wrap my head around Madonna saying she felt like blowing up the whitehouse, threw out a few Fbombs and followed it up with a love chant.

On a personal level I'm sick of it. I deactivated my FB account for awhile because every time I got on I felt the heavy oppression of political division. There is a double standard out there. Not to mention PC. I don't like arguing and avoid it at all costs. I'm lucky that despite most of my fb friends being opposite my ideology, we don't argue between us mostly. But it's just seeing all the headlines and whiners (not directed at me).

I think in the past there was a place for debate, but right now tensions are so high people go off at the slightest disagreement. I went to a pro life rally last week at our state capitol. It was wonderful and I shared it in a ministry setting. I was jumped on for being too political, which is fine because it wasn't the place to bring up legislation, but then I got jumped on for saying I was judging people who go to Planned Parenthood and it was wrong because they also do a lot of good. I zipped my lip. It wasn't the time or place and I don't plan to pursue it again with said person because she feels so strongly and it could lead to something unpleasant. We went on with the show and did fine. But really, people are wound tight.
    I'm all for Jesus and unity.

Lori, there is this wonderful American Rural idea that fits our ability to fend for ourselves in nature. And now folks use it for politics. "If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything". You stand for peace and tolerance, thank you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)