Is Donald Trump our first Christian President?

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (156 posts)
  1. Ann810 profile image50
    Ann810posted 7 years ago

Is Donald Trump our first Christian President?

Much of history says that our previous US Presidents were never of the Christian belief.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13404945_f260.jpg

1. Jw Worcester profile image60
      Jw Worcesterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Here's a WEB Site that reinforces your point of view.  It remains true as long as you NEVER read the writings of out forefathers.  Try "Our Sacred Honor" or the "Book of Virtues".

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/wallbuilders/

2. dianetrotter profile image60
      dianetrotterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

First need to define Christian.  Since Christianity comes from the BIble, the definition should be based on what is in the Bible.

People can call themselves whatever they want.  I'm not a bird just because I ride in an airplane.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you will find the word "Christian", "Christianity" or any other form of the word in scripture.  Without that there can be no definition...without interpreting the words to mean something they do not say.

1. dianetrotter profile image60

Acts 11:26 New International Version (NIV)
          26 and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch.

1 Peter 4:16  16 However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name.

2. dianetrotter profile image60

for those who swear by KJV
          Acts 11:26 King James Version (KJV)
          26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

3. dianetrotter profile image60

Acts 26:28  28 Then Agrippa said to Paul, “Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?”

You got me! smile

But there is still nothing resembling a definition.

4. dianetrotter profile image60

W, I told you you must read read the whole Bible!

Sounds like you're saying you must read the whole thing, then pull out what you think of as a "Christian" and declare that because it came from the bible it has to be the definition.  The parts you don't like can safely remain buried somewhere in the 700,000 words of the text.  Along the way you can change the meaning of what is said, via "interpretation" so as to get what you want.

Diane, you've said before that the definition is within those pages, but that's the only method I can see to get it out.  Which is what is done by most people that declare other sects or people aren't "Christian" because they don't follow the same "interpreted" rules the speaker likes.

But tell me, what is wrong with the simple definition that whoever believes in Christ is a Christian?  I recognize that that leaves out the rules you might like to see in other's lives, but does that make it wrong?

No - you are speaking smorgasbord  You believe and keep the whole BIble.

If you select a doctor, you don't do it because he took a couple of medical classes.  You select someone who has competence in every aspect of being a doctor.

When I took classes in school, we did "chunk chew check" a progressive method of learning.  When you learn something new, you don't discard the other.  It's comprehensive like k-12 education.  You can't read it, with comprehension , in a day a week or a month.  As you read, you learn, you put into practice and live it.

"You believe and keep the whole BIble."

As YOU interpret what it says.  That's what I said; your interpretation takes priority in what should be considered the definition of the term.  But from the outside, I can't see why your view is any more "right" than anyone else's.

(Besides, you certainly don't keep the commandments of the OT; not even the spirit with which they were given.)

The OT was for Jesus..  Because they could not keep the law, Jesus came to fulfill the law.  We are under  "Grace" , unmerited favor, bestowed on all who believe. 

This why you gotta read the whole Bible.  Your questions come up often from those who've not read:

Romans
                  The law reveals sin but cannot fix it. (Romans 3:20)

If the law worked then faith would be irrelevant. (Romans 4:14)

The law brings wrath upon those who follow it. (Romans 4:15)

The purpose of the law was to increase sin. (Romans 5:20)

Christians are not under the law. (Romans 6:14)

Christians have been delivered from the law. (Romans 7:1-6)

The law is good, perfect and holy but cannot help you be good, perfect or holy. (Romans 7:7-12)

The law which promises life only brings death through sin. (Romans 7:10)

The law makes you sinful beyond measure. (Romans 7:13)

The law is weak. (Romans 8:2-3)

Galatians
                    The law justifies nobody. (Galatians 2:16)

Christians are dead to the law. (Galatians 2:19)

The law frustrates grace. (Galatians 2:21)

To go back to the law after embracing faith is “stupid”. (Galatians 3:1)

The law curses all who practice it and fail to do it perfectly. (Galatians 3:10)

The law has nothing to do with faith. (Galatians 3:11-12)

The law was a curse that Christ redeemed us from. (Galatians 3:13)

The law functioned in God’s purpose as a temporary covenant from Moses till John the Baptist announced Christ. (Galatians 3:16 & 19, also see… Matthew 11:12-13, Luke 16:16)

If the law worked God would have used it to save us. (Galatians 3:21)

The law was our prison. (Galatians 3:23)

The law makes you a slave like Hagar. (Galatians 4:24)

Ephesians
                    Christ has abolished the law which was a wall of hostility (Ephesians 2:15)

Philippians
                    Paul considered everything the law gained him as “skybalon” which is Greek for “poop”. (Philippians 3:4-8)

1 Timothy
                    The law is only good if used in the right context. (1 Timothy 1:8) (see next verse for the context)

It was made for the unrighteous but not for the righteous. (1 Timothy 1:9-10)

Hebrews
                    The law is weak, useless and makes nothing perfect. (Hebrews 7:18-19)

God has found fault with it and created a better covenant, enacted on better promises. (Hebrews 8:7-8)

It is obsolete, growing old and ready to vanish. (Hebrews 8:13)

It is only a shadow of good things to come and will never make someone perfect. (Hebrews 10:1)

2. wilderness profile image95

Romans 6:14 is perhaps the perfect example, for nowhere does it reference "Christians" - it does NOT say that "Christians" are not under the law. 

It DOES discuss, in verse 9, what I said; believers in Christ.  Only if that is taken as a definition of Christian can verse 11 be implied that Christians are not under the law.

2. gregas profile image82
    gregasposted 7 years ago

Isn't Catholic a Christian belief? Kennedy was our first Catholic president and as far as I know all of our presidents were of Christian belief. I don't believe we have ever had an atheist. But the on;y one I know of that might have been anything different is Obama, who some believe to be of Muslim faith.

Ann810posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Greg, Kennedy actually had compassion and he thought outside of the box as a President. Obama allowed an abomination as part of the law with same sex marriage, he obviously is not a real Christian. Kennedy wins over Obama in my mind.

2. gregas profile image82
      gregasposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Ann, I agree with 100%.

3. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

So, that ugly and non-sensiclal Christian claim that sexuality is anything but a private matter between two individuals raises its voice once again.
      Such a "God," would have no interest in your fun, only your loving commitments.

4. Ericdierker profile image44
      Ericdierkerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

What a concept that a man would judge another abominable based on her understanding of scripture. By these notions a masturbating 11 year old girl???

5. profile image52
      Norine Williamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

God gives "Choice" (Josh24:15) re: same sex, abortion, good, evil, etc. so who is man?

6. profile image0

Cherry-picking obscure bits of prose from an out-dated book of stories applicable to an ancient civilisation.  And you imagine it's something written at the behest of a god!  Pathetic!

7. profile image52

Isaiah said "here a little, there a little" (Is28:10) so who r u to call "cherry picking?"
      "Book" leads to "connection" to HIM which u, Greg & others (HATES) don't have!

8. Misfit Chick profile image76
      Misfit Chickposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Christian view: God's chosen few (not God, himself) give a choice by pointing a gun at your head & insist U choose to believe dogma or go to hell &/or they will make your FREE spirited life miserable!! Jesus' original message is distorted.

9. Sherry Hewins profile image93
      Sherry Hewinsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm not a Christian, but when I was little I went to Sunday School. There they taught us that all you had to do to "be saved" was to accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior.

10. wrenchBiscuit profile image69
      wrenchBiscuitposted 7 years agoin reply to this

A8, Yeah, Kennedy was a real Christian. Sure he was. That's why he was committing adultery with one woman after another. If U want to know what a real Christian is study the life of Jesus ,or John The Baptist.

11. Robert Levine profile image86
      Robert Levineposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Of course, Kennedy was a flagrant adulterer.

3. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

Every President we've had was Christian, just of various denominations.

1. Ericdierker profile image44

Tamara, this is not accurate. The example I gave is the perfect case on point. Lincoln did not belong to a congregation much less a denomination. Teddy Roosevelt is cool to look into also. Episcopal or Reformed - not a member, just attendee.

2. Ann810 profile image50

Since I was a child learning history in school, I thought George Washington was a  Christian. I seen a video about George Washington being a Mason, and they mentioned his high rank in Freemasonry.

3. Ericdierker profile image44

If a man cometh and read that which is the teaching of Christ. The man is changed and cannot go back to hate. Does that make them a Christian? The One Eye God is now a real movement. It incorporates Christ.

4. profile image52

Eric u r TWISTED! NO!
      NOTHING makes one a Christian but OBEYING HIS COMMANDMENTS (I Jn2:3-5) & MOST won't take time to find out yet want something for nothing! You're like those "riding the govt system" for assistance!
      "Christ Incorp?" ONE SPIRIT

5. Misfit Chick profile image76

Actually, Eric is very correct: 'one eye' is one of many valued mystical Christian symbols - btw, Freemasons are very much 'Christians' - or at least, they pretend it is 4 appearance sake. LOTS of OLD C-men (including politicians) were FM's.

4. lisavollrath profile image93
    lisavollrathposted 7 years ago

Are you kidding? EVERY President of the United States has been some manner of Christian. There has never been a President who ascribed to any other religion, nor has there been any President who was an avowed atheist.

Not accurate. That eye god stuff is not whacko. Deistic Rationalists were the ilk of the foundational days. The hard set dogma of churches of the day turned men away. As today. Christ in the formation was background. Washington never "accepted" Chris

2. lisavollrath profile image93
      lisavollrathposted 7 years agoin reply to this

EVERY President. See the chart here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious … ted_States

Sorry but I do not start or end with Wicki. My God are there still people out there that cite it? Wow I am blown away. ignorance always astounds me. Lisa with a man picture. Please do not cheapen discussion.

4. lisavollrath profile image93

Typical. When you can't cite a credible source that offers information to contribute to the discussion, simply insult the one that's been cited, and also insult the commenter.

5. Ericdierker profile image44

I gather Lisa with a man's face that you consider speaking the truth a brutal attack. Someone cites wicki as the source and they throw mud in a thinker's face. Nothing about who. The comment must be shown for the failures it commits. Are you a victim

6. gregas profile image82
      gregasposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If you look close Eric, that is not a man's face. It is a woman with a short haircut. And you don't need to attack anyone because of the way they look.

7. lisavollrath profile image93

Deflect and insult as you wish, Eric. I'm still right, you're still wrong, and no amount of name calling is going to cite a source that proves otherwise.

Now, be gone, before someone drops a house on you, too.

8. Ericdierker profile image44

My apologies. There was no need for me to be unpleasant. It is inappropriate and is no way to treat you nice people.

9. Misfit Chick profile image76

Eric, you have really changed. It is the thing I hold against Trump the most: changing some of the coolest, most insightful & understanding people into ugly brats. C's or not, most GOP folks won't vote 4 pres unless they BELIEVE they R Christian.

10. profile image52

And NONE are/were or the US wouldn't be in the predicament it is today! As Ronnie said, "Just because one wears the title, doesn't make him one" (IJn2:3-5)!

11. Ericdierker profile image44

Catherine,
      Take it easy. One not so nice comment does not mean I have changed into a bad person. But I do thank you for caring about me.

12. profile image52

Eric you "confessed your sin one to another"(Jm5:16) which is more than other "proclaimed" Christians have done on HP by stating "My apologies. There was no need for me to be unpleasant. It is inappropriate..." Ur action is according to WORD.

13. Misfit Chick profile image76

Well, this was sort of a repeat thing for you & you've been overly-sensitive & judgmental for a while, now. That's what I was talking about. I do care, too damn much and WAY more than I want to, LoL!

14. Erin Orick profile image68
      Erin Orickposted 7 years agoin reply to this

actually many of the Founding Fathers did not label themselves as Christian. you should really do some research on the founding fathers and presidents and religion, its actually quite interesting.

5. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 7 years ago

I don't know a great deal about past US presidents but I do remember George W Bush being pretty vocal about his faith.  Plus didn't the Evangelists love him?  I'm thinking of that Jesus Camp documentary.  *shudders*

1. profile image0

When you depend on the support of otherwise indifferent groups, it's useful and convenient strategy to be "vocal about one's faith."  To say nothing of real and deep motives.

2. profile image52

"Vocal about one's faith"(Jer20:9)? U don't know JESUS!
      "Motives?" IF of GOD, "motives" r HIS PROMISES (aka "benefits") which "leads & guides(Jn14:26) into ALL truth!" MOST thk Christians want "fire ins!" NO! We want "BEAUTY" in THIS LIFE(Is61)!

3. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 7 years agoin reply to this

LOL....LMAO!!....ROFLMAO!!!!    Oh GOD!!   I'm so HAPPY the screaming, quoting, vocal robot is GONE!!  DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD!  Yo HO!!....Pop the friggan champagne!  I'm buying!

6. Oztinato profile image75
    Oztinatoposted 7 years ago

If Donald's a Christian it's in the style of Hitler. ie political expediency, hypocrisy and fake news.

1. profile image52

Then NOT a Christian!

7. Old-Empresario profile image70
    Old-Empresarioposted 7 years ago

The Episcopalian George Washington was technically our first Christian president. But none of the early ones were very devout believers. They were more agnostic. Belonging to a church was just what one did back then as apart of a communal duty. Our first enthusiastically-Christian president was probably Rutherford B Hayes in 1877. President William McKinley was a very pious Christian who, after a long conference with God, decided to keep US troops in the Philippines after 1898. But the born-again George W Bush was most certainly our most devoutly Christian president. I doubt if President Trump has ever been to church.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image93

This is one of the most thoughtful comments here. I don't know why it was "hidden due to negative feedback."

2. Misfit Chick profile image76

Can you imagine a US President like Thomas Jefferson today? Deists are almost as abhorred as Atheists. When science started threatening C's literal interpretations, that's when dogmas became alternative facts. smile

3. wrenchBiscuit profile image69

Of course, you are joking. George W Bush caused the death of thousands of U.S. soldiers and Iraqis based on a lie that he helped to promote, and most likely co-authored. Nothing Christian about that.

4. Sherry Hewins profile image93

What about Jimmy Carter? I think his devotion was much more genuine than anything I've seen or heard from Trump.

5. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
      Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Evidenced by how he lived his life, I'd argue President Carter has most closely demonstrated his faith in Jesus.  And we chewed him up and spit him out.

6. profile image52

"Born again?" When one has the HOLY SPIRIT dwelling in them they manifest "supernatural" actions!  NO PRESIDENT has been "born again" or they COULDN'T "keep It to themselves" (Jer20:9)!

7. Ericdierker profile image44

This is a great answer. Around the time of King James it would have been real hard to buy into a church.
      Say 1600 to 1800 very different.

8. dianetrotter profile image60

Yes he did 2x that I know of.  He went to a Black church when he was campaigning.  He went to GHWB's funeral.

8. wrenchBiscuit profile image69
    wrenchBiscuitposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13406906_f260.jpg

Trump is not a Christian, George Washington was not a Christian, nor was Thomas Jefferson. The historical record indicates that none of the Presidents were Christians. A Christian is defined as someone who follows the teachings of Jesus. That would exclude slave-owners, racists,  and war mongers,  as well as womanizers and pedophiles.  And the three presidents I have mentioned are collectively guilty of all of the above.

Anyone one can say they are a Christian, but that doesn't make it so. I have never flown a jet airplane, but I can say I am an airline pilot:

" I am an airline pilot. Would you like to book your entire family on one of my flights around the world?"

1. DruStory profile image67
      DruStoryposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Agreed and well said.

2. Ericdierker profile image44

Really cool, two folks who can tell us who is Christian and who is not. Am I?

3. wrenchBiscuit profile image69

No Eric, you are not a Christian. Your commentary in this thread alone verifies that.

4. Misfit Chick profile image76

Not correct that someone who is a whopping 'sinner' means they R not a Christian. Many practicing & devoted Christians R some of the biggest sinners. Y? Law of Attraction: attention to resisting temptation attracts it & makes things a LOT har

5. profile image52

"The foolish shall not stand in thy sight:  thou HATEST all WORKERS OF INIQUITY" (Ps5:5) yet "Christian?"
      MisFit you're TWISTED!

6. wrenchBiscuit profile image69

Catherine, you are better at being an atheist. UR parroting a myth. A Christian may fall short, but they do not sleep with the devil.

7. profile image52

I have NEVER met a man who speaks more TRUTH than "proclaimed" Christians!
      GOD bless you Ronnie!

8. Misfit Chick profile image76

No one sleeps with the devil unless they believe it exists & want to. Peeps like U & Norine LIKE the drama created by evil, so you embrace & encourage it. Your Father will not judge you for learning life, cuz sin is just a tool he uses to

9. wrenchBiscuit profile image69

From whence evil springs is irrelevant here. A war monger may not believe in the devil, but the body count does not speak of goodness. A crooked path is not compatible with Christian teaching. Murder is not necessary to "learn life".

10. Ericdierker profile image44

WB have you ever heard of "Thomas the Doubter", Peter the denier" and "Saul the Murderer". I would say very crooked paths indeed. Trumps could not possibly be a worse path than Sauls. To my understanding even the Centurion and Judas I were accepted.

11. wrenchBiscuit profile image69

Saul actually became a Christian , as his works reveal. He did not accept Jesus and then go out chasing whores , starting wars, and seeking great riches.

12. Ericdierker profile image44

So that begs the question Ronnie, you seem to be out slaying folks. So I imagine you are at a stage like Saul. And of course you judge others. Of course you have to condemn them like Saul and not love them like Paul. Ronnie you make a perfect case fo

13. wrenchBiscuit profile image69

That's interesting Eric. In 250 words or less, can U please elucidate "slaying folks".

14. Ericdierker profile image44

Oh sure guy. Attacking another on a moral principal that is akin to a leader. Cutting them down for the acts of their ancestors. Making blame on others of optimum importance. And of course winning on a hypothetical (Don Q.) scenario.

15. wrenchBiscuit profile image69

Your spin is a little rusty Eric. I have never in any of my posts held anyone accountable 4 the acts of their ancestors. I hold them accountable 4 glorifying evil ancestors.

16. dianetrotter profile image60

Word up Wrench!

9. ana2693 profile image57
    ana2693posted 7 years ago

its seems like he is not a christian to me

1. profile image52

Not only "to u" but to the WORD of GOD!

2. sparkster profile image86
      sparksterposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Looks like someone has an unhealthy obsession.

3. Misfit Chick profile image76

That's our Norine... Unfortunately, once she embeds herself into a question like this, she's difficult to shake & it just gets dropped cuz no one wants to interact with her shrill BS. She's ruined so many good questions & can't be reasoned wi

10. sparkster profile image86
    sparksterposted 7 years ago

I guess that depends on what you class as "Christian" - what I can tell you is that Donald Trump is a Freemason. Many would argue that masonry and Christianity are not compatible. I won't go into detail.

1. profile image52

NO ONE can "class" (aka "judge") another!  ONLY the WORD of GOD (Jn 7:24) which saints use to "correct" (IITim3:16) TWISTED belief!
      And man it "cuts" (Heb4:12) when one is TWISTED!  U can tell whose TWISTED on HP via their actions (DELETIONS)!

2. sparkster profile image86
      sparksterposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Clearly, I meant it depends on what you think a Christian is.  How is that judging/classing someone? Is calling people on HP "TWISTED" not classing/judging someone then? Um, pot... kettle... and what a load of religious twaddle. It's no wonder so man

Norine is one of the biggest judgmental hypocrits on HP, LoL! And, she's always complaining about being deleted. I keep telling you, sweetie: your spiritual fruits are ROTTEN that's why peeps don't listen to U. Do something about it.

4. fpherj48 profile image61

And very fortunately for the REST of us, our Miss Scripture ranter, finger-pointer, vicious, brain-washed fanatic, has been deleted for good!..as in permanently banned.  Ahhhm Peace at last. Hallelujah!

11. Sherry Hewins profile image93
    Sherry Hewinsposted 7 years ago

I don't know what makes you think Trump is a Christian.

1. Misfit Chick profile image76

Franklin Graham endorsed him, for one thing - making it okay for many Christians who were struggling with their conscious to vote for him. Plus, Trump has said all the right things in all the ways they like to hear. If he tells us he is a C, then he

2. profile image52

FG not a Christian! GOD gives "choice" re:same sex/abortion (Josh24:15) & after "JUDGING" both candidates,Hilary more in line (Jm1:27) w/WORD! BOTH not Christians but lesser of two evils!

I'm pretty sure Franklin considers himself to be a Christian - and in fact, a Christian LEADER, which is why his big mouth made such an impact on people of that faith. It doesn't matter what GOD thinks - sheeple follow people.

4. Ralph Deeds profile image66
      Ralph Deedsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Trump says he's a Presbyterian. However, he's an inveterate violator of the ten commandments and a variety of Christian tenets.

5. profile image0

Norine, how on earth can words spoken tobthe tribes of Shechem be afpplicable, even out of context, to people 3000 years later, in difference circumstances/culture?  Cherry-picking to suit your prejudice.

6. fpherj48 profile image61

Alan....HI there friend!  I don't know when your birthday is~~ But "Happy Birthday!"  Noreen has been permanently banned.  Did U see all the big smiles everywhere?  smile  smile  smile  smile

12. Mr Bueno profile image80
    Mr Buenoposted 7 years ago

This is a very easy question to answer. I am not a Christian myself, I can only assume you are not either, as you have to ask this question. This very question is one of the reasons that most of the world is laughing, as well as being terrified of what is happening in the United States at the moment.

Let's quote a bit of Christian scripture and see how Trump stacks up against it:

1 Timothy 6:10King James Version (KJV)

10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Now, how do you think Trump stacks up against that passage with his obsession for big figures, massive figures?

Am I really lecturing a Christian on Christianity? Really, if Jesus were alive today, I am sure he would cut out his heart were he to see who is using his name to further their own ends.

1. Mr Bueno profile image80
      Mr Buenoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Shall we measure Trump up against the seven deadly sins and see how he does there?

Does the fact that Jesus was a refugee not ring any bells for you, Ann?

By Trump's standards, Jesus would have been a terrorist. Jesus was tortured, Trump wants to t

2. profile image52

PROCLAIMED CHRISTIANS should be embarrassed of such a TRUTHFUL statement from a non-Christian! lol A "TRUE WORSHIPER" has the Spirit of Christ inside which reflects "CORRECTION" as Jesus (Matt23)!

3. fpherj48 profile image61

Mr. Bueno......You ARE truly "Bueno"~~~"Muy Bueno."  Gracias, y Buenos Noches!   Paula

Interesting. Christ would cut his heart out? Sounds like you are coming from a hate Trump and then rationalize position. I understand your angst. Sounds kind of like you might have an anti Trumps agenda your are furthering. Maybe not, just a thought.

5. Mr Bueno profile image80
      Mr Buenoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm coming from an observe Trump and then compare with the teachings of Christianity perspective. Trump represents the opposite of Christian teachings. Being pro or anti Trump doesn't come into it.

13. The Indexer profile image80
    The Indexerposted 7 years ago

This is an empty question that wil not produce a definitive answer. That is because most people who calls themselves Christian have a set of beliefs to which they stick rigidly, and anyone who does not follow the same set of beliefs cannot therefore be a Christian.

That would be fine if the set of beliefs was restricted to generalised basic dictums, but this is rarely the case. Too often you find "Christians" who condemn anyone who does not belong to their particular sect as not being Christian at all. It is therefore no surprise to find people who would say that there has never been a Christian president.

On the other hand there have been plenty of left-handed ones! Make of that what you will!

1. profile image52

U don't care what GOD (aka WORD) SAID? IIPet1:3"...ALL THINGS that pertain to life & godliness..." is in Scripture!
      Problem: Who loves GOD enough to find out what HE SAID (IJn2:3-5)?

2. Misfit Chick profile image76

Christianity & Salvation are relative to each according to their own set of spiritual beliefs or lack of them. Believing that U R the only 1 who has interpreted a 'word of god' correctly is like insisting there is only 1 kind of apple.

Catherine, there is the rub. Saying that what someone says is like saying there is only one apple. Is just a sideways suggestion that they are as dumb as a post. Correct?

4. Misfit Chick profile image76

I don't think Norine or others like her are dumb - they have a debilitating fear of death. Reason, Logic & Science fly out the window when you are convinced they are sins against God. That is sad beyond the telling of it & I do feel for her.

14. mactavers profile image89
    mactaversposted 7 years ago

Better find a good book on the biographies of American Presidents.  Start with President Jimmy Carter who has taught his Sunday School Class for years and who has spoken about his Christian faith often.

1. Robert Levine profile image86
      Robert Levineposted 7 years agoin reply to this

mactavers, I immediately thought of Jimmy Carter when I saw this question.  John and John Quincy Adams were also devout Chirstians.

15. TessSchlesinger profile image60
    TessSchlesingerposted 7 years ago

Donald Trump is not a Christian - not even close. I have no idea why some seem to think that he is.

Here are some Christian pastors who say he is NOT a Christian. Remember that you shall know them by their fruits.

QUOTE: My concern is not whether Trump really is a Christian, though I admit I have serious doubts. Rather, my concern is whether his stated views and beliefs line up with Christian thought. And it is clear that many of them do not.

https://goo.gl/nJYBvv

QUOTE: As an evangelical and member of the Global Advisory Board of Christian Post's parent company, I was heartbroken to read CP's recent editorial telling evangelicals that we have a moral obligation to vote and must vote for either Donald Trump or a protest candidate.  What we cannot do is to cast our vote for Donald Trump. The harm to the Christian witness if we support this man who embodies everything Christ warned Christians against in the Sermon on the Mount would last generations.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/trump … st-168993/

QUOTE: Trump himself has not spoken about a born-again experience or a new personal relationship with Christ. ...Popular Christian author and blogger Rachel Held Evans put it bluntly in a tweet: “Oh give me a break. Donald Trump hasn’t been born again. The Religious Right has simply sold out.”

http://religionnews.com/2016/06/25/is-d … christian/

QUOTE: He said he does not ask for forgiveness and "does not bring God into that picture" when he makes mistakes. ,, Trump's broad language often serves a purpose, says Michael D'Antonio, author of "The Truth About Trump," a biography. "Donald keeps his options open. He make things mysterious and unclear so that he can say anything else at another time."

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/21/polit … on-gospel/

QUOTE: Indeed, there is hardly any person in America today who has more exemplified the “earthly nature”that Paul urges the Colossians to shed: “sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires, and greed, which is idolatry” (3:5). This is an apt summary of Trump’s life to date.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/201 … ml?start=2

1. Misfit Chick profile image76

Franklin Graham convinced C's otherwise, "it's refreshing to have a leader willing to defend the C faith." FG wants Trump to repeal amendment saying he shouldnt endorse politicians cuz C's can't think 4 themselves.

16. profile image0
    enjoy lifeposted 7 years ago

Please define what you mean by Christian.

Are you saying he is Christian because:
    1) he goes to church?
    2) Christian leaders endorsed him?
    3) he attended a couple of prayer meetings so that Christians would support him?
    4) he lives in a country that is traditionally classed as Christian
    5) he personally believes in Jesus and follows the teachings of the Bible with Jesus as his Lord, endeavouring to line up his own personal life with the teachings of the Bible (i.e.: actually living Christianity)
    6) other

Just because a person goes to McDonald's, it does not make them a beef burger.

Is he Christian by name or actually by belief? There is a huge difference.

Did he follow Christian beliefs long before he ran for president, or did he conveniently start to follow them to look Christian while he was running for President so that all the Christian sides would follow him?

1. HennyPennyPincher profile image95
      HennyPennyPincherposted 7 years agoin reply to this

"Just because a person goes to McDonald's, it does not make them a beef burger."
      I'll be honest with you.
      I just spit diet pepsi out of my own nose.

17. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 7 years ago

Here's a list of the religions of American presidents. Episcopalians are the most numerous.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Religio … p;oe=utf-8

1. LoisRyan13903 profile image61
      LoisRyan13903posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Excellent.  Thanks for sharing

18. Robie Benve profile image96
    Robie Benveposted 7 years ago

If there is one thing that is sure about this president is that he does not embrace any of the Christian values.
    Respect All People
    Love Your Neighbor as Yourself
    Be Humble
    Be Honest
    Live a Moral Life
    Practice what you Preach; Don't be a Hypocrite
    Don't Be Self-righteous
    Don't Hold a Grudge (no place for hatred, revenge, retaliation or getting even)
    Forgive Others
    Nope, not this president....

Do I have this right? Are you so perfect in all things that you have no "plank in your own eye" to get rid of first? A checklist to determine faith? The hypocrite one and the self righteous one, perhaps your answer?

2. TessSchlesinger profile image60
      TessSchlesingerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

"By their fruit shall ye know them." This has nothing to do with having a plank in one's eyes. Most people can do the basics. Trump doesn't even come close!

How would you know their fruit if you have a plank in your eye that prevents you from really seeing them? For instance your fruit of hating Trump may be the plank in your eye preventing clarity and unbiased appraisal.

4. Robie Benve profile image96
      Robie Benveposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Nice Eric. : )   His administration scares the hack out of me. I don't trust them. We should always check on politicians no matter their ideology. But this administration is particularly fishy and shows a very scary agenda.

5. wrenchBiscuit profile image69

Eric,  U seek to use biblical teaching to justify evil. Recognizing a rose is a rose, or a spade a spade has nothing to do with being  judgmental. It's simply a matter of observation. Evil defines itself.

6. Ericdierker profile image44

Robie you are so right. I grew up understanding that it was a civic duty, more than a right but an obligation to watchdog our government. Should we trust and verify or verify then trust?  But I think Christian or not is up to God. I do not need to ve

19. Team Wiseman profile image80
    Team Wisemanposted 7 years ago

This president is NOT Christian. He has lullaby-ed the average Christian to sleep. Not once have I ever heard him mention the name above ALL names, Jesus Christ.
    Also, to be a Christian, you must confess your sins to God in the name of Christ, and Trump says "I don't do that, I just don't."
    Where is the proof he is a Christian? Where are his fruits??

20. WandaSears profile image60
    WandaSearsposted 7 years ago

I wouldn't know whether he is a Christian or not, if being a Christian is predicated on accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.  If the question is, does Donald Trump exemplify traditional Christian behavior...the answer is would be that he is not.  I'm not judging...just using that standard (you know...10 commandments...love your neighbor as yourself...etc). If that is the standard, Donald Trump fails in front of us every in most ways.  For me, being A Christian is whole lot different than behaving in a Christian manner.

21. JayeWisdom profile image89
    JayeWisdomposted 7 years ago

Do you actually believe Donald Trump is a Christian???

1. fpherj48 profile image61

LOL!  Hi Jaye, Crazy question, comical answers.  Must be Tiny Talent day at HP & everyone is trying to entertain!  It's fairly obvious the Donald is his own God. This thread is a riot.  smile Good to see you!

22. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 7 years ago

In the first place, IT DOES NOT FREAKING MATTER!! IT IS NONE OF ANYONE'S BUSINESS!
    But to elaborate further:
    According to the teachings in the christian bible, Drumpf in no way measures up to that standard.  As a former believer, with some inside knowledge, I can say this with full confidence.

However, whether he is or is not is irrelevant.  Our Constitution most clearly states, in Article Six:

"The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

Our separation of church and state clause is also part of the first amendment of our Constitution.

Those articles in and of and by themselves therefore make null and void and irrelevant this entire question. 

The question should not be about his religious views, but about his actions as a human being; and IMO, in that test, he fails miserably.

#notmypresident

1. WandaSears profile image60
      WandaSearsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree!

Not required by the constitution and of interest are not exclusive. A person's spiritual life hopefully is relevant to their decisions. Also it is interesting to note if he is like the vast majority of us identifying as Christian. Your decisions are

23. Erin Orick profile image68
    Erin Orickposted 7 years ago

Many of the Founding Fathers did not consider themselves to be Christian.

George Washington (who by the way was not in fact the first president) followed a belief system called Pantheism, which is the belief that nature itself is God. Washington could also be considered a Christian Deist as could Abigail Adams, Alexander Hamilton and John Hancock.

Many Founding Fathers were Non-Christian Deists. For example: Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Paine, James Monroe and James Madison.

Non-Christian Deists are people that don't follow the bible/Church edicts but believe that there must be a God because how else do you explain everything's existence if not for a higher power?

And John Adams was a Unitarian, an offshoot of Christianity that believes that while Jesus was a great man he was not a messiah or the son of God

Great answer. This really resonates truth. That area where God is and is not is most interesting.

24. profile image52
    JacquelineOpalposted 7 years ago

I can't tell that he is from what he says and does.

25. Terrielynn1 profile image85
    Terrielynn1posted 7 years ago

I have never heard him call himself a Christian. From what I see he says and does whatever it takes to try and please who ever he is talking to at the time. I don't judge others. Looking at his passed I don't a Christian man, if I go by how he has lived his life so far. Though I do not know how far he may have come or if his love of God has made a difference in his life. If he does consider himself a Christian then he should be behaving in a way that displays those changes. I answered the question because you asked. We are all imperfect and fall short, but there are some guidelines for us to follow once we proclaim to be Christian, he does not display a life according to Christ from what I have seen.

Is that Christ the son of God or Christ the God or Christ of the Trinity? I think I get your point but not sure if you are talking Christ of the Unitatrian or Roman Catholic or non-denominational.

2. Terrielynn1 profile image85
      Terrielynn1posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Eric, I talk of Christ, the son of god. Our Shepard and savour. The only one I know of that spread the word of god, along his disciples. Do you know another?

I suppose mine is a little different. More of a Trinity.

4. Ralph Deeds profile image66
      Ralph Deedsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Agree that Trump lacks Christian virtues, but I think he calls himself a Presbyterian.

26. Luke Holm profile image88
    Luke Holmposted 7 years ago

Was Lucifer God's strongest angel?  He was the one who fed humanity forbidden fruit.  The guise of greatness is shrouded in deception.

27. Robert Webster profile image68
    Robert Websterposted 7 years ago

It could be a problem if other Christians are considering whether another individual is a Christian...

28. Readmikenow profile image94
    Readmikenowposted 7 years ago

I don't know what is in Donald Trump's heart.  Nobody does.  I do believe he is not someone who is overly influenced by his possible belief in the Bible or any one religion.  He is a business man. When he tries to speak on issues of religion, his lack of knowledge is obvious.  I do believe, at the very least, he has a deep respect for Christians as well as Jews.

Boy he went off track earlier but made indications of commitment today. Seems to me a Christian should give deep respect for Jews.

2. Readmikenow profile image94
      Readmikenowposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  The Jewish religion and Christian religion are intertwined in many different ways.  There are also scriptures about it in the Bible.

29. Rock_nj profile image89
    Rock_njposted 7 years ago

Donald Trump never seemed to be much of a religious person at all, Christian or otherwise.  He has lived his life in a totally immoral fashion, cheating on his wives and using shady business practices.  I don't see anything Christian about him.  It just seems like the Religious Right like him because he's doing what they want, and ignore who he truly is as far as moral character.

There have been many Christian Presidents.  Jimmy Carter certainly was one and has actually tried to live like a Christian,

Hey John, I know my shady past pretty well because I ran for some public type deals where they vet you. Oh and try becoming a youth minister these days - those guys dug into everything. Perhaps, just maybe yours is.... making it strange to judge.

30. profile image50
    tinkucposted 7 years ago

Donald Trump is not the only Christian President.There were many in the lights of John F.Kennedy, Bill Clinton, George Washington Bush.The belief among the mass of him being the lonely Christian believer is just because of the fact of his strong anti Islamic ideology.In cases, it is a proven fact by the Islamic terrorism all across the globe.No other religion is ever involved in such anti social and anti humanity activities. Trump strongly objecting and acting on the ground by banning the religion in it's country and entering such dubious people on its soil for the greater good of United States of Amarica.This has led the the countrymen believe that he is with the country and Christianity.

31. Amit0 profile image60
    Amit0posted 7 years ago

American have to confront the situation they have made for themself. They do not have sense to Elect right people. It seems there is civil war about to Re-start in america among people there. Donald trump did all things(Making absurd statements in speech) for alluring christian's vote. He did what people wanted to listen and see.

Hi Amit, I agree. Trump allured votes from different status of people, by telling them what they want to hear. Now he's doing the exact opposite. That seems to be the same personality of the individuals on his reality show "Celebrity Apprentice."

Are you so blinded by hate? The most blinded liberal areas of CNN agree he is doing exactly what he said he would. Do not let ugly change your integrity anyone. We do not or we do like him, it does not change his 40 days of doing exactly as promised.

3. Ann810 profile image50

People still like Trump, but he's giving too much for the LGBTQ folks. When there's way more serious issues Americans need for BIG change. Make America great . . . by following God's commandments. Homosexuality is against the law of God.

I forget -- this is about Christ right? Where does Christ say homosexuality is wrong? Many think that Paul's "thorn" was about being gay. OT I get but NT I do not see it.

5. Ann810 profile image50

The question has Christ in it, the word "Christian." Duh!

6. Ericdierker profile image44

So where does Christ say homosexuality is not Christian?

32. LoisRyan13903 profile image61
    LoisRyan13903posted 7 years ago

Who am I  to judge if someone is a Christian or not?

33. tarafying92 profile image57
    tarafying92posted 7 years ago

No many of our presidents have been Christians. This country was founded on christian values. Christianity is accepting Jesus as your savior. It can not be measured by good or bad actions you do in this life. It means you accept that Jesus was sent to die for our sins and was raised from the dead and that you follow his word. It does not mean that we are perfect or think we are, it means we know we are not perfect and that we have faith in the only one that ever was perfect.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)