Is it my Responsibility to remove the carpet then I vacate my apt.

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)
  1. profile image53
    Muffyjaxposted 7 years ago

Is it my Responsibility to remove the carpet then I vacate my apt.

when I moved in 22 years ago there was a dirty carpet and old tiles on the floor which I replaced.  Now that i'm moving the landlord wants me to remove the old carpet and tiles at my exspense, other wise I will not get back my security deposit. I don'w see this in my lease
    I'm a good tenant and don't think this should be at my cost,  He is putting in wood floors, a new kitchen and bath for the new tenant.

2. lisavollrath profile image93
    lisavollrathposted 7 years ago

It sounds like your landlord wants some free labor out of you!

Do you have your original lease? What does it say about altering the apartment? Most leases say you have to get permission from the landlord to change things like flooring and wall color.

Do you have written permission for the change? if the landlord consented in writing, he can't withhold you security deposit.

Do you have photos that show the apartment before and after? If you're leaving the place better than it was, and can document it, that may work in your favor.

Check your area for a tenant rights group. They can often mediate these issues for you, or help you understand what your options are.

3. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13466471_f260.jpg

Your landlord sounds terrible. If in apt for 22 years, they are going to have to remove the carpet anyway because it is so old. The life of apt  rugs is about 5 years.

I don't know if this is a single apt or a complex but a apt complex has a program such as YARDY that keeps tabs on how old the carpet is , etc. Most people move in and out of apts much shorter than 22 years.

Ask him/her this: If I didn't change the carpet and tile, is it not true you would had have to remove them anyway? Charging me for normal wear and tear of an apartment is unethical and illegal.

I don't know what state you live in but check the landlord tenant rules for your state. This is for AZ only:

ARS  33-1342. Rules and regulations

A. A landlord, from time to time, may adopt rules or regulations, however described, concerning the tenant's use and occupancy of the premises. Such rules or regulations are enforceable against the tenant only if:                            5. They are not for the purpose of evading the obligations of the landlord.

Housing Counseling Hotline: (602) 262-7210 (602) 262-7210 (provides help to tenants about their rights and responsibilities)

Arizona Tenant Advocates: (480) 557-8905(480) 557-89

1. bbanks27 profile image86
      bbanks27posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I dont think you have to. You shouldn't have too. I always shampoo my carpets when I move.

4. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13466682_f260.jpg

Most landlords would be grateful to have a tenant for 22 years!
    Oftentimes leases contain a clause stating if a tenant changes anything they are responsible for restoring things back to the way they were at the time of move in.
    For example the walls were painted tan and the tenant painted them red or blue.
    However in such instances a long-term tenant is usually granted more leeway. Generally speaking the landlord will plan to revamp or modernize the empty unit after that tenant moves out.
    My wife and I would probably give our tenant their whole deposit back assuming there was no major holes or other damage done to the structure of the home. Twenty-two years is a lot of rent!
    If your landlord insists you remove the carpet and tiles it might be worth it for you to figure out how much it would cost you in time and labor versus how much your deposit was 22 years ago.
    It might be cheaper for you to walk away without the deposit.
    The other option is to sue and fight it in small claims court if your lease doesn't call for you to restore the apartment as it was or if you have (written proof) the landlord gave you permission to make the changes you did to your apartment.
    Either way it sounds like your landlord is being a jerk.
    Best wishes!

5. Express10 profile image84
    Express10posted 7 years ago

This is not your responsibility at all if it in not in your lease! Do not ever make these sort of changes to any rental that you are renting or you will be liable for whatever damages/changes of almost any (near) reasonable amount that the landlord sends you a bill for. Clearly your landlord is asking you to do their job, tell them no and that it is not in your lease. Keep a copy of your lease for at least another 3 years or more. Going even further, I'd find out the statute of limitations for your landlord in your state to try and bring a suit against you even though they have no grounds for what you're saying and keep your least for at least 6 months after that period. If they are trying to pull this on you, there's no telling what else they'd try. Id LOVE to get a good tenant for 22 years!

6. Terrielynn1 profile image84
    Terrielynn1posted 7 years ago

Your landlord is required by the landlord tenenate act to replace flooring every 5 years. He should be greatful you did it yourself. If the place is clean and free of damage he can't keep it. And that's a no, you are not required to replace place it or even tare it out. There are no exceptions when you have been there that long. As long as you took reasonable care of the rental. There is an online site that tells you what you both must do. He really sounds like he wants your work for free.

7. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

In an apartment lease, it is common to require you to clean it as in vacuum or shampoo it before you leave.
    It is NOT reasonable to demand that you pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to replace carpeting unless it was in great condition when you moved in and ruined by your actions like dropping burning cigarette butts on it.
    I have never heard of someone demanding the tenet leaving replace tile floors. That's not your responsibility but his, and a desire, not a requirement.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)