Did Melina Trump make the right call by wearing traditional garb to see the Pope

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (27 posts)
  1. RJ Schwartz profile image87
    RJ Schwartzposted 6 years ago

Did Melina Trump make the right call by wearing traditional garb to see the Pope?

The First Lady and daughter Ivanka were photographed with the President in an audience with the Pope.  Melina is wearing the  traditional lace mantilla, and Ivanka a slightly more modern net veil.  In a similar visit to the King of Saudi Arabia, neither wore traditional garb or even a headscarf.  What are your thoughts on those choices?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13543028_f260.jpg

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image76
    Kathleen Cochranposted 6 years ago

The one thing those ladies did by wearing traditional garb for the Pope was thoroughly piss off the Saudis.

In Riyadh, they not only did not cover their hair (as First Ladies in the past also did not do), but they both wore pants jumpsuits showing off their waists, rears and legs.  Shapeless dresses would have been less offensive in that culture.  Anyone familiar with that culture would have told them that.  But then they cover themselves for the Pope?  I'm sure that did not go unnoticed by the Saudis.

RJ Schwartzposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It does seem provocative doesn't it?  It was my first reaction too, but then again America is a "Christian" nation so maybe they were trying to pander to some of the Christian political base...who knows

Kathleen Cochranposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Ralph:  You may be right.

3. lisavollrath profile image93
    lisavollrathposted 6 years ago

The Papal Audience dress code indicates that women should wear clothing that covers their knees, and sleeves, although they can be short. Most women simply dress modestly to meet the Pope.

When Michelle Obama met Pope Benedict, she wore a veil. However, when she met the current Pope, she did not. She wore a simple turquoise dress.

What Melania wore is appropriate only for a very old woman. Women in the Catholic Church are no longer required to cover their heads in church. Only very old women do this, and only because they were raised to do so. The same is true for black dresses: only very old women wear them to church, unless the service is a funeral mass.

I'm not sure what the heck Ivanka is wearing on her head, but it's totally inappropriate. Nobody wears a black tulle veil to a Papal Audience, or to any other church function. Tulle veils are worn in white, by brides, and little girls receiving communion.

There are plenty of photos of Angela Merkel meeting the Pope, dressed in a pantsuit, with nothing on her head. I think, given the simplicity of the way Pope Francis has chosen to live, something simpler, and less austere might have been more appropriate.

4. profile image0
    savvydatingposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13544601_f260.jpg

According to BBC news, wearing a black dress and black veil is the proper protocol for women who have a formal meeting with the Pope. The Vatican requested that protocol be followed. No such request for the First Lady was made by Saudi Arabia, therefore, Melania chose not to wear a head covering in Saudi Arabia---the same as Michelle Obama, who also did not wear a head covering when meeting with dignitaries in the Middle East.

Furthermore, Mrs. Obama also wore a black veil and black dress when meeting with Pope Benedict. Both first ladies did exactly the same thing! This is not a big deal at all. It's just another diversion for bad reporters and naysayers. I didn't hear anyone criticize Michelle Obama for doing the very same thing, so I think we just need to relax.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image76

You make a good point.  Doesn't mean the practice doesn't alway irritate the Saudis.  Having lived there I still say the Trump ladies could have dressed more conservatively.  It is a huge faut pas to show your curves.

2. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I didn't see any curves. I saw Melania wear a white pantsuit that did not show curves. I also saw her wear black dress pants with a gold belt. Again, no curves. Maybe I missed something. I didn't watch every single bit of coverage.

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image76

Savydating:  It's hard for Americans to understand the Saudi culture.

4. profile image0

That's true.

5. MizBejabbers profile image87
      MizBejabbersposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Melania was a model, and models are not known to be curvy (except for Christy Brinkley). I haven't seen real curves on Melania regardless of what she wore. She is tall and has a very straight model's body. She no longer has that "starved model" look.

5. Anthony J Smith profile image56
    Anthony J Smithposted 6 years ago

Procol was respected in my opinion. Both ladies dress as was requested by the Pope, but since there was no special request from the King of Saudi Arabia, they dress as they saw fit in a very professional manner. If the King of Saudi Arabia wish for ladies to wear a head covering he should make that request when the appointment is made.

1. lovemychris profile image76
      lovemychrisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

can you imagine what the christians would say if king did that? theyd want his head.
      on a platter

I get the participation numbers from HubPages' home page.  They don't show past numbers, so the 200,000 number is from my memory.  But I remember that figure because it played a significant part in me signing up and was posted often in promotions.

6. fpherj48 profile image59
    fpherj48posted 6 years ago

Ralph (and Yves)  "leslie" (who changes her profile tag with the wind due to her need to continually stress her point, which is constant rambling) ...is so helpful when she injects her mood into her comments, with a "wink" here & a "cough, cough" there, for more affect, don't you think? 
    Ralph, stop hoping. Les will never comment like an adult.  Toddlers are only adept at tantrums, whining, moaning & ranting, thinking they're actually making a point.  Toxic & hopeless are the 2 words that always come to mind when she goes on one of her infamous tirades. Have neither of you seen the hub she wrote a while back, where she has ONE comment from a hubber and ONE HUNDRED AND THREE  (103!!) comments in the thread to herself!!? That's right.....103 comments from Yes Dear to Yes Dear.  It's a dilly.  It's also all the blatant proof a mental health professional requires to prescribe a straight jacket.  But hey....freedom of speech. She has a right to announce to the world that she's bonkers. Speaking of fanatics?  LOL. Don't be shocked if she sets up shop in a back alley somewhere to give illegal, one-stop abortions to make sure she personally services the millions of women who use abortion as their birth control~~ just IN CASE the right messes with Roe vs Wade.  That abortion issue fries her butt to a crisp. 
    The woman loves to create her manifestos. Les & the Unibomber. Leave them be, please,  They have a mission.
    The Arab Brass gave "permission" for the women to forego the head scarf.  It is that simple!  The Pope?  The "covered head" scenario has long been dispensed with by the Catholic Church. It wasn't necessary for Melania or Ivanka to wear a head covering, but obviously THEY chose to.  What on earth is the HUGE deal?  So, now we're to suspect the ladies did this to piss off the Saudis.  Really?  OK, I'll bite.  and the point to believing this, is WHAT? 
    Far....FAR too many people (with ulterior motives) push their thought process into extreme overtime, in order to come up with what they believe to be the motives of "others."  How futile to find they receive no double time or time and half compensation for all this overtime~~not even a pat on the back.  Poor schmucks.

I'm laughing so hard I can hardly type....But on another note, have you noticed that Mike (Old Poolman) has disappeared from HP ?  I tried searching but his profile was deleted

2. MizBejabbers profile image87

Did he give up or get booted?

3. RJ Schwartz profile image87

He never posted much, so I'm not sure.

4. profile image0

My understanding is that he threw in the towel because he was fed up. Makes me sad. Brad O'Cal knows more.
      Paula, 103 comments to herself?? I'd like to say that tops all, but I know better.

5. Kathleen Cochran profile image76

Many hubbers have gotten fed up.  There are currently 38,000 participants.  Six years ago there were 200,000.  People could write about whatever they wanted however they wanted.  You could share hubs you liked or wanted to recycle.  Hubbers were help

6. RJ Schwartz profile image87

I think this new format of breaking HP apart is hurting the membership too - multiple logging in, different screen views, etc. - makes the site look like something a beginner built instead of a professional writing site

7. MizBejabbers profile image87

I agree with you, Ralph. I'm not getting notifications for nearly as many interesting hubs anymore. Too much poetry and then only a couple of prose writers each day. It's gotten boring.

8. lovemychris profile image76
      lovemychrisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

old poolman couldnt explain why hes been maligning hillary clinton for taking saudi money for her foundation,but is ok with ivanka doing the same. also,that hes got a comfortable retirement,but trump and co are coming after all of us.you all shameful

9. fpherj48 profile image59
      fpherj48posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I did notice on pop's recent hub throughout the comments thread there was chatter of Mike having "thrown in the towel." Not sure WHY. Too bad, so sad, I like Mike & will miss him!

10. profile image0

Paula & Ralph, ask Brad about Old Poolman. I think it was something about questions by conservatives being deleted by HP, even though similar questions by Liberals were given a free pass. Frankly, I've had this happen to me a few times. It gets o

11. fpherj48 profile image59
      fpherj48posted 6 years agoin reply to this

No, Mike certainly was not banned. I think like so many others, he got "fed up" w/ all the BS. He said he was going to
      throw in the towel."  I guess he did.  sad  Soon, HP with be a Ghost Town! See the #'s KC showed us! It's a grand exodus.

12. profile image0
      promisemposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Kathleen, how do you get those numbers?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)