If you could change 1 and only 1 thing about the US election process, what would

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (31 posts)
  1. RJ Schwartz profile image87
    RJ Schwartzposted 6 years ago

If you could change 1 and only 1 thing about the US election process, what would it be?

Nothing is off the table - eliminate only 1 thing and state why you chose it and the expected improvements we'd see.  Try not to be the person saying they need to put two or three ideas or several connected ideas - it takes the spirit of the process away.  This is a legitimate time to seriously think about something that would be helpful, possibly even a bi-partisan idea.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13772591_f260.jpg

1. jackclee lm profile image81
      jackclee lmposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Term limits for Congress. 2 terms for Senate, 4 terms for House members.

2. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 6 years ago

Make it illegal for corporate entities to contribute to campaigns. Cap contributions at a low amount. Allow only campaign advertising from the campaign, itself. Prohibit sensationalism And mud slinging in advertising. And ensure all campaigns have equal timeto run ads in comparable time slots.

RJ Schwartzposted 6 years agoin reply to this

How would you keep regular citizens from de-facto advertising of a candidate? I think your ideas would be helpful, but seem difficult to enforce.

2. mike102771 profile image70
      mike102771posted 6 years agoin reply to this

How much equal time? There are many diffrent parties besides the big 2. who would decide who gets the equal time? Would a party with 200 followers get the same as one with 2 million?

3. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Only if the rule was clarified by the FCC. I worked in radio when the equal time provision was in effect,. The FCC didn't clarify rule & nobody knew how to interpret, result was chilling effect on political advertising and free air time to object

4. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Well, set contribution limits in line with reasonable amounts which could be afforded by an average income. Equal time for all candidates could include other parties. And should. The two parties don't appear to be representative of many.

5. gregas profile image82
      gregasposted 6 years agoin reply to this

How about setting spending limits for campaigns? They have to run on a limited budget. That way we know how good they might be with OUR money. Trump beat Hillary and spent a lot less than she did..

6. RJ Schwartz profile image87

How would anyone be able to monitor the spending?  The DNC wouldn't even let the FBI look at their servers when they claimed to have been hacked - I doubt they would share any financial figures.

3. gregas profile image82
    gregasposted 6 years ago

Have to show ID or proof of citizenship in order to vote.

I'd add some provision to monitor the mail-in balloting - real abuses happen through proxy voting that way

4. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 6 years ago

That is simple. I would institute term limits on Congressmen and senators. The current election process is in place to keep the imcumbent in power 90% of the time. All fund raising and time campaigning is tied to the goal of re-election. If a limit is in place, the politician, once elected, will focus on getting the work done that he promised the voters. He will know he has a fix amount of time to make a difference.

I think most people would agree that we need term limits - interesting how the fear of having Steve Bannon crawl trough their lives is causing many of them to say they will not run again

2. jackclee lm profile image81
      jackclee lmposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that is what they are afraid of. They just look at the poll and figure they don't have a chance. These GOP RINO are spineless. They run at the first chance of losing...

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
      bradmasterOCcalposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Jack
      We already have term limits as the voters can initiate it at any time. The real problem is the voter and especially the loyal party voter. If a politician isn't doing the job for the people, the voters should not reelect them.

1. jackclee lm profile image81
        jackclee lmposted 5 years agoin reply to this

True but you know as well as I that the system is rigged to help incombents...
        So, therefore, most voters don’t really have a choice do they? They are asked to vote for the candidates the party bosses dictate in primaries...

5. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13773648_f260.jpg

Since this is about the election process:

Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission, case in which the U.S. Supreme Court on January 21, 2010, ruled (5–4) that laws that prevented corporations and unions from using their general treasury funds for independent “electioneering communications” (political advertising) violated the First Amendment’s guarantee of freedom of speech. In so doing the court invalidated Section 203 of the federal Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of 2002 (BCRA)—also known as the McCain-Feingold Act for its sponsors,

https://www.britannica.com/event/Citize … Commission

6. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 6 years ago

I have always questioned the existence of the electoral college. I still haven't made up my mind as to whether it is a good thing, but I would like to see an election or two without it. Today's U.S. is a far cry from years ago when the electoral college was thought to be needed. Our population has grown and populated areas have shifted. So is it really needed today?

1. gregas profile image82

If they did away with the electoral college there could be the ability for more than two parties.

2. mike102771 profile image70

Without the EC most presidential candidates would ignore the needs of the small states and just campaign in the big ones. The rest of the states would become the flyover states. Should CA, TX and NY be the only ones to pick our leaders?

3. gregas profile image82

Mike, that doesn't make a bit of sense.

4. mike102771 profile image70

Large population centers would decide who wins by way of the larger population (votes).  A Vote in CA would be worth more than a vote in OK or CT. Why would a candidate go to a state with a population less than 1 million votes?

5. gregas profile image82

Mike, It works the same way with EC. The larger the population the more electoral votes. Except all the EC votes go to the majority. By popular vote the votes go where they belong.

6. mike102771 profile image70

If the EC wasn’t limited to a set amount & just on population then places like CA & NY would have most of the EC. A state like mine (Ohio) wouldn’t matter. Just ask Hillary about the popular vote vs the EC. I think you will find her on her bo

7. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Greg and Mike, you are both making good theoretical points. That's why I would like to see an election with a real live demonstration. Our population has grown and shifted since the theory was first enacted.

7. profile image52
    peter565posted 6 years ago

Start electing via popular vote, might be a better idea

1. gregas profile image82

Popular vote would be the better way. That way everyone's vote would count. With EC personal votes don't count. I am glad EC worked this time around, but I have always been for popular vote. Also, have to show ID or proof of citizenship when voting.

8. Ken Burgess profile image75
    Ken Burgessposted 6 years ago

A 100% authentic, honest, one person one vote system with checks and balances to ensure it.

No backrooms with biased 'election workers' filling out hundreds or thousands of ballots to change their county's results.

No computer system voting machines that can be hacked, that have no paper trail, making entire states' votes suspect.

With all our technology we can make a system where the only way you can vote, is with a DMV ID.  People who can't be bothered with getting a DMV ID shouldn't be allowed to vote... really, I mean, if you aren't capable enough, or willing enough, or determined enough to find your way to a DMV with the required documents to get an ID you shouldn't be voting.

Why on earth do we want people who aren't capable of going and getting an ID deciding who runs the country?

Why do we want a system where people can fill in absentee ballots and send them in, without being able to confirm it was those people who sent in those ballots?

Why do we want a system where bus loads of people being driven from polling location to location and voting over and over again can actually happen?

Make the system fair and honest, in the end, its the electoral process that decides, but it would be nice to know what the real votes were, and know that the election wasn't hijacked in half a dozen states because of identification and tracking measures required for voting.

I like what you are saying - what's your thoughts/solution on how to deal with the growing numbers of mail-in or absentee ballots - i believe there is a lot of people who think this area of the vote is rife with fraud

2. Ken Burgess profile image75
      Ken Burgessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

it IS rife with fraud, the county right next to the one I live in had a poll station's workers caught in a backroom filling out ballots by the hundreds... the system is total garbage that we have today, it could easily be fixed with strong ID checks

9. profile image53
    ameliawangposted 5 years ago

This discussion is of high interest for me as I am an academic writer at http://exclusive-paper.com/. Not only I write customized papers for students but also learn a lot of new things while doing each scientific research.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)