How can I make engraved letters stand out against a silver-toned background?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Laura Schneider profile image84
    Laura Schneiderposted 10 years ago

How can I make engraved letters stand out against a silver-toned background?

I have an engraved bracelet, but from day 1 the engraving has been hard to read. I sent it back to be engraved deeper, but it came back the same (minus what I paid for shipping). Is there any way of adding definition to the letters so they stand out more?

1. RPHomes profile image59
      RPHomesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Nice

1. dave abao profile image60
        dave abaoposted 3 years agoin reply to this

nice

2. Int action profile image61
      Int actionposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Nice

3. AccuMed11 profile image59
      AccuMed11posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Good

2. ep4f profile image58
    ep4fposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8230904_f260.jpg

To make engraved letters stand out on silver background, add black edges around the letters because silver is light color and to make anything stand out on top of lighter color is to change foreground color or letter's edge into dark color or black.

Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Gorgeous piece, ep4f! Congrats if you made it! Thanks for the hint on using black to highlight letters--I think that'll help, though your example is embossing, whereas I've got engraving, so it'll be a bit tricky to do. Cheers! Thanks for commenting.

1. Ferebe profile image61
        Ferebeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the engraving could darken with time.

2. snindnoise profile image61
      snindnoiseposted 3 years agoin reply to this

3. HVM Strategies profile image61
      HVM Strategiesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Gorgeous piece, ep4f! Congrats if you made it!

3. Gareth Pritchard profile image74
    Gareth Pritchardposted 10 years ago

I think with time it will become more prominent all by it's self to be honest because when something is engraved it means that it has been grooved out. What will happen is over time those grooves will get filled up with deposits and they will get dulled making them less reflective. This will make the grooves more prominent because they will reflect less light than the flat surface of the bracelet which will stay quite clean because it is flat and cannot collect deposits as well as the grooves can. Alternatively you could do as ep4f is suggesting and rub a little bit of something into the grooves to dull them purposely. In ep4f's example picture it is in reverse the letter shapes are raised and will stay relatively clean, reflective and shiny. The areas surrounding them will be dulled by deposits, in ep4f's example it looks to me like some blackish substance has been rubbed into the decoration to dull the surrounding areas around the letter shapes. The raised areas will always stay cleaner than the grooved or lower areas because they make more contact with the environment in which they exist.

Cool, thanks Gareth Pritchard! I was hoping that I agree on ep4f''s gorgeous example: that is embossing (design sticks out from the background), not engraving (letters embedded in surface). But, the concepts are similar just opposite. Thanks!

1. mybestcribs1 profile image40
        mybestcribs1posted 4 years agoin reply to this

2. lupine profile image65
      lupineposted 10 years agoin reply to this

1. Kolawole Abraham profile image60
        Kolawole Abrahamposted 3 years agoin reply to this

am in support with this message

3. varneyandson profile image61
      varneyandsonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Cool, thanks Gareth Pritchard! I was hoping that I agree on ep4f''s gorgeous example: that is embossing (design sticks out from the background), not engraving (letters embedded in surface). But, the concepts are similar just opposite. Thanks!

4. lupine profile image65
    lupineposted 10 years ago

I had the same idea...adding black to your engraving will make it stand out. Rub with black shoe polish, use liquid that comes with a small sponge at the top of the bottle, letting it go into the grooves, wipe off excess, let it dry. When completely dry just clean/rub the shiny part only. Can use Arm & Hammer baking soda with soft cloth.

Shoe polish (head-->desk)--what a great idea! I'll try that right away. Thanks!

1. lupine profile image65

You're welcome, let me now how it turns out.

2. Laura Schneider profile image84

Actually, it really didn't work at all--the engraving is so shallow that all of the black came right off when I removed the excess polish. :-( Great idea, though. I'll try old-fashioned wax shoe polish next: wish me luck!

3. Gareth Pritchard profile image74
        Gareth Pritchardposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would try black marker pen instead, especially since it is alcohol based and very similar to the dye used for leather which is also used for shoes. It will not permanently stain metal so will come back off the raised areas with some rubbing.

4. Laura Schneider profile image84

Great idea, Gareth Pritchard! I'll clean it off very well with alcohol and perhaps acetone first and then try a Sharpie marker! (Sharpies, Duct tape, WD-40 and/or 3-in-1 oil... What would we do without these lifesavers?) Wish me luck... Thanks!!

5. Gareth Pritchard profile image74
        Gareth Pritchardposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes good luck.

6. lupine profile image65

Hi Laura, sorry the shoe polish didn't work. The sharpie sounds like a good idea.

7. Lsm991 profile image61
        Lsm991posted 3 years agoin reply to this

am in support with this message

1. dave abao profile image60
          dave abaoposted 3 years agoin reply to this

yes

2. profile image0
      RTalloniposted 10 years ago

Depending on the value of the piece, I might try cleaning it well and using one of the outdoor craft paints (Patio Pain, around $1.79 -- see  http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/wro … t-368316/t) in black.  A small paintbrush would get it into all the engraved cuts, then a soft cloth to immediately buff off the surface, exposing the sliver surface again.

Thanks, RTalloni (hi!) ! I'll give that a shot--Patio Paint would be perfect!

Unfortunately, I think the final answer will be to throw it out and buy one from a local engraver who will stand by their work! (But I paid $70+ for this one--ow!)

3. skellie profile image74
      skellieposted 7 years ago

Depending on the value of the bracelet and how good with a paint brush you are - pick an enamel colour paint that you like and with a very fine tipped paint brush, fill it in and then brush over it with a clear coat that is suitable for metal.

4. Dori Benner profile image54
      Dori Bennerposted 6 years ago

place the piece in a small bowl with liquid Liver of Sulfur that can be bought at any crafts store. check it after every few minutes to make sure it gets to be the amount of darkness you want. then wipe off excess and polish with soft cloth. This is what jewelers use.

5. karlatimmons profile image60
      karlatimmonsposted 6 years ago

Dear Laura,

May I suggest a bit of red enamel paint to outline the lettering? Enamel is used extensively in some jewelry and can look quite attractive. Or perhaps coloring the letters themselves with black enamel. There are many options.

6. Whata Hoot profile image80
      Whata Hootposted 6 years ago

This question feels so unresolved Lol. I had the same problem with a silver ring so I simply globbed on a little black nail polish into the grooves where I wanted the engraving to stand out and wiped off the excess. Looked perfect. I maybe do this two or three times a year as it starts to fade. Takes all of 30 seconds so I don't mind.

7. profile image49
      Allie Charlesposted 6 years ago

What if you make so the letters go all the way through instead of just some of the way?  That's what I would do I think it would look very nice if you did that!  I have done that before and to me it looks very cool!!  You don't have to do it that is just what I would do that's what I am saying.

8. nklmultimedia profile image60
      nklmultimediaposted 6 years ago

I had the same idea...adding black to your engraving will make it stand out. Rub with black shoe polish, use liquid that comes with a small sponge at the top of the bottle, letting it go into the grooves, wipe off excess, let it dry. When completely dry just clean/rub the shiny part only. Can use Arm & Hammer baking soda with soft clot

9. Ricky Hill profile image56
      Ricky Hillposted 6 years ago

Hi,
      Actually, I am new here and some information and help.
      I need to help about can I create an anchor text in the Article or Not.
      Thanks.

10. profile image51
      elgun210posted 6 years ago

super ela

11. dogo365 profile image60
      dogo365posted 5 years ago

add black edges around the letters

12. Jade Wyatt profile image56
      Jade Wyattposted 5 years ago

Great Work. I appreciate your effort to make this informative post. Thank You

13. tranhoangvien profile image60
      tranhoangvienposted 4 years ago

Oh, thanks pro

14. Newton Fire And Flood profile image60
      Newton Fire And Floodposted 3 years ago

Gorgeous piece.

15. criminaldefensetoledo profile image60
      criminaldefensetoledoposted 3 years ago

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)