Writing Question!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (49 posts)
  1. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 6 years ago

Is it "We are fortunate to have you in our life." or "We are fortunate to have you in our lives."  Which is more appropriate?

1. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Kenna, use your First  choice, I am no expert, but the We are fortunate to have You is warmer. Just saying.

Kenna McHughposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Kenneth!

smile Kenna, anytime. Peace.

2. robhampton profile image93
      robhamptonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Now that's a head scratcher! Haven't read the other comments yet, but going to do that now. Awesome question!

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Second one is correct.  The word "our" indicates plural so lives, also plural, would be correct.  I used to be a Language Arts teacher, so am certain about this.

1. theraggededge profile image96
        theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Not necessarily, TT2. As Rochelle has already pointed out someone could be referring to their joint life. For example, if they were one of a couple...

Our lives are happy.

Our life together is happy.
        Throughout our married life....
        Our family life is rewarding.

I'd go with the first option, Kenna, but it also depends on the context.

2. Titia profile image91
    Titiaposted 6 years ago

I'm probably not the right person to answer this question, because English is not my native language, but when I read those two sentences out loud, to me 'lives' sounds better than 'life'. I think so because 'our' is referring to more people than one. But then... I could be totally wrong smile I'm sure someone will have the right answer.

3. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

I agree with Titia.  The "we" and "our" dictate "lives" are both are plural.  But I hated English in school...

4. lobobrandon profile image90
    lobobrandonposted 6 years ago

As wilderness points out, they are both plurals and I'd go with lives.

5. Dan Dildy profile image63
    Dan Dildyposted 6 years ago

Subject and object are both plural: lives

6. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

There are instances where it can be used either way.
    If you are using "our" as a collective it can have a singular object
    Our house . . . Our society . . . Our life together . . .
      . . .or if you are speaking as a  reincarnationist or a person with multiple personalities you might say "in my lives as a woman". . .

https://english.stackexchange.com/quest … al-of-life

First, thank you, everyone!  This is very helpful.  I am leaning toward "life" even though it sounds better as "lives".  But, it is a personal message, so I want to keep it as a collective.

7. jjkhawaiian profile image70
    jjkhawaiianposted 6 years ago

We are fortunate to have you in our "life".

Can be used to indicate plural, but written from a singular perspective.
        We and Our = plural
        Life = singular

We are fortunate to have you in our "lives".

Suggest more than one person shares the sentiment.
        This "sounds" more appropriate, English-wise.
         We and Our = plural
         Lives = plural

"I am" fortunate to have you in "my" life.

Strictly singular reference.

So well explained. Thank you. I went with "lives."

smile At Kenna -- I feel so stupid right now. I was wrong. Forgive me.

No worries. It was a tough question. wink

smile @ Kenna -- thanks so much, but I feel as if I let you down and I find that hard to deal with.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
              Rochelle Frankposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I think everyone contributed here, Kenneth. In general, and in most cases, singulars and plurals should agree. It seems that English is such a rich language because of the exceptions to "rules". My first instinct was to emphatically say "lives", but then thought that it might depend on context.

smile for you, Rochelle, and . . .you are right. I confess. I have trouble
                with SepERate and SepARate and I get those mixed-up a lot.
                So I just watch my thoughts fo NOT use them. LOL.
                I was honest. I felt bad at  not being able to help Kenna and all of you, my good friends.

1. jjkhawaiian profile image70
                  jjkhawaiianposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi Kenneth et al,

You did nothing wrong. It would have worked both ways all the same.
                     The English language is a thing to understand and I don't have a vast 
                      library or command of it like my Father did.
                      Talk about feeling stupid. That guy was not human, I tell ya', lol.

I'm just glad I could help Kenna!

Everyone gets a smile for helping out. That's what is so great about websites and forums like Quora. Everyone pitches in.

Stay precious, y;all!

smile at Everyone here!

8. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 6 years ago

This was interesting, very helpful explanations. What just came to mind for me is that couples usually refer to "building a life together," not " building our lives together." Love the English language.

I thought about that, too. It could be the definition of "life" in this case or all cases.

2. profile image0
      RTalloniposted 6 years agoin reply to this

A great discussion going here because these types of questions can give pause for thought.  It's possible that either life or lives would work depending on the entire context but your point re building a life together sums it up well. Yes indeedy, ain't English grand? ;-)

3. jjkhawaiian profile image70

Janshares, once again an excellent point in context.

Your example is looking at it from a singular perspective, but with a plural aspect.

It's so hard at times, not just with spelling and grammar, but context and slang come into play. It's no wonder people have trouble with it.

9. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

Ken, you help a lot of people. NONE of us can help All. Don’t feel bad. Your intentions were pure.

smile to you, Rochelle. I have been by your writing so much--and I feel that now is the perfect time to tell you. So I have and thank you for being my friend.

Thanks Kenneth. You have been writing a lot lately.

@ Rochelle . . .thank you for noticing. I take a notion once in a while to just share some memories of my boyhood and hope that I make the next pay-out for I desperately need some "scratch." (Have you ever heard of this term? On the streets in the 1940s, it was considered as Money).
          Anyway, thanks for your wonderful friendship and all of the work that you do.

Hi Kenneth,

I checked out your profile and did notice that, my Lord, you do write a lot. As a writer myself (unpublished and rather new) I thought I would introduce myself. I plan to read your articles and get to know your writing.

It interests me to read other writers. I didn't read as a youngster, or old man for that matter, so I have a lot of catching up to do. Especially if I'm considering myself a writer and starting a new career as a screenwriter.

Take care friend.

P.S. We have a few things in common, it seems, from what I read in your profile. It's nice to know a fellow believer.

10. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 6 years ago

Good discussion.

'Our' and any noun following do not have to agree, plurally speaking. For instance, you'd say 'our home'.

'Lives' can be combined into one shared 'life'. "My husband and I enjoyed our life in New York." or "My husband and I enjoyed our lives in New York." Both are correct, but each implies a very subtle difference. The first gives you a mental picture of a couple together; the second promotes the idea of a couple going about their separate lives.

. . . Or you would say “our homes” if you had more than one home, or if the “our” refers to you and your neighbors.

2. jjkhawaiian profile image70

Theraggededge and Rochelle,

I agree with your assessments. Good discussion, for sure.

3. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Wasnt there a famous poet from Liverpool that wrote about "our life"? I took my English lessons from those guys.

11. wordswithlove profile image67
    wordswithloveposted 6 years ago

Both are correct, depending on the context of how many lives you are talking about. For example, if I were to say to a friend, speaking of the life of my family, I would say, "We are fortunate to have you in our life", and if I were to be speaking of multiple families, I would say, "We are fortunate to have you in our lives".

Yup, context is key here, like in so many other instance, where the English language is concerned. I love it!

12. Miebakagh57 profile image69
    Miebakagh57posted 6 years ago

The later.

13. holliesandhealth profile image81
    holliesandhealthposted 6 years ago

I believe it's the second one. Unless of course "we" is referring to a collective conscious that exists in many dystopian or philosophical works. In which case I apologize.

14. Jeremy Gill profile image94
    Jeremy Gillposted 6 years ago

Definitely "lives".

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Definitely? John and Yoko would have disagreed.

2. theraggededge profile image96

Would you say 'our married life' or 'our married lives'?

Context. A couple would say our married life, where a gaggle of couples would say or married lives.

Now, a married couple could say our married lives in some instances. We've been together all our married lives (meaning, to each other). Maybe a bad example, but you get the point.

Once again, context:
        Plural with a singular perspective (married life).
        Plural with a plural perspective (married lives).

Yes, I know. I've already posted different examples. I was responding to Jeremy's statement that 'lives' was the correct choice. And, as I mentioned previously, either is correct depending on the context.

Oh. I was just answering your question. My mistake.

smile Maybe you need to click on Chronological, top right. Then you can see who is replying to whom smile

15. Darleen Barnard profile image77
    Darleen Barnardposted 6 years ago

"Lives" "Our" is plural so "lives" needs to be plural as well. smile

Nope. You wouldn't say 'our dogs' if you only had one dog, would you?

16. Luke Holm profile image89
    Luke Holmposted 6 years ago

I would rewrite the entire sentiment, as clearly they are creating unnecessary trouble in your life (or is it lives?). I would rewrite your statement as: We want you to think that we feel fortunate to have you in our lives, but, in actuality, your existence has created a grammatical conundrum and an indirect headache.

By the way, in the case of my first sentence, could "...your life" technically be "...your lives," even though "your" is singular? I think the answer is YES, as here "your" seems to be plural.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)