I would like Feedback on my article: Mystery of Jacque St. Germain

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Kaydee Jonesposted 6 years ago

I just published my first hub. I could really use some feedback on how to improve what I have.
    Thanks.

https://hubpages.com/religion-philosoph … St-Germain

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi there,

Looks like you copied most of it from here: http://www.ancient-origins.net/unexplai … ain-009019

Plagiarism is not permitted. Changing a few words doesn't count, it's still stealing someone else's work and passing it off as your own.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, if you wrote the article referenced, then you can't republish it here as HubPages requires new and original content.

Speaking as one who has had a lot of my work stolen, I'm sure you can understand how many of us view this practice.

1. profile image0
        Ivan Hernandezposted 6 years agoin reply to this

What if she writes several concise subtitles and writes original content, not to mention high-quality articles?

She still can't use someone else's writing, apart from one or two sentences as a properly attributed quote.

The writer whose work has been copied has published a book and runs a small store in New Orleans. I doubt very much she would be happy about it.

2. profile image0
      Ivan Hernandezposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry. I have plagiarized a site in my Isabela Moner hub. I removed the copied text once Hubpages saw what was happening. As theraggededge said, you can't copy a book or another article. That's cheating.

2. profile image0
    Kaydee Jonesposted 6 years ago

Its unpublished now. No need to be rude considering that I have never done this before.

Thanks.

Rude?

To be fair, your bio says you 'have been a freelance writer for many years'.  As an experienced writer, one would think that you had more sense than to plagiarise. Using your 'newbie' status as an excuse doesn't wash, I'm afraid.

No doubt the writer whose work you appropriated would consider it quite rude.

@Bill -- the whole article was taken off another website, it's not a case of 'accidental similarities'. And one should never 'grab an image from another source' without checking it has a CC or PD license.

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
        DrMark1961posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, that argument works in court too.
        "Back off, dont be so rude to me. I have never robbed a bank before!"

2. Bills Place profile image86
        Bills Placeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

@theraggededge - Not sure why you felt the need to reference me in your response? I only provided suggestions to avoid plagiarism.

We're a community here that is suppose to help others. Even if they made a mistake (intentionally or not), we should be pointing this out (as you did), and provide advice on avoiding this in the future (as I did).

Personally, I try to use Pixabay for my images. However, there are situations when using an image from another site is the only proper fit. Of course, checking for a Creative Commons (CC) or Public Domain (PD) license is always a good idea, I doubt everyone here double checks this.

An easy way to avoid getting a DMCA takedown notice for using an image from a website, is simply contacting the website owner, admin or support channels and ask permission for using the image in your article.

@DrMark1961 - It's 2018, you probably could win a court argument these days by saying 'don't be so rude'. Claim the 'rudeness gave me PTSD' or something, and have a counter-lawsuit too. hmm

The reason I added the reply to you was because it appeared, from your suggestions, that you thought that the OP had accidentally reproduced a similar story to someone else.

It's not like the OP (who has either left or been banned) doesn't understand English or anything like that. On her bio she said that writing is what fuels her passion and that she's been a freelancer for years. That makes it worse.

Your suggestions are fine, although I have to say that I've never felt the need to check my own writing for accidental plagiarism.

1. Bills Place profile image86

I run a content writing company, so scanning is just out of habit as we deliver scan results with all of our deliveries. smile

3. Bills Place profile image86
    Bills Placeposted 6 years ago

Suggestions:

Good tip, always run articles through Copyscape or related scan program prior to publishing, just to be on the safe side. - This helps reduce the chance of search engines and HubPages penalizing for plagiarism.

When writing an article (hub) based on research, collect information from multiple sources, not a single source. - This lowers the chance of accidental plagiarism.

Images - When grabbing images from another source, remember to provide the source (option available under where you upload the image).

4. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 6 years ago

aaaaaaand the O.P. is gone!!

Good. I bloody detest plagiarists big_smile You might have noticed.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
        FatFreddysCatposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I never would've guessed. big_smile

2. Bills Place profile image86

Not sure if the person just left or got banned, but either way I am slightly disappointed in the reactions they received when asking how they could have improved.

My reasoning: Bio aside, the OP had removed their hub right away, so given time they may have tried harder in the future.

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
        DrMark1961posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I cannot even pretend to be disappointed. My account page is covered with those little red circles (copied articles) from lazy people like the OP. If she wanted to write something in her own words on the subject she could have done so without copying.

You might take a look at the helpful suggestion she received when she posted this thread:
        Giving you the benefit of the doubt, if you wrote the article referenced, then you can't republish it here as HubPages requires new and original content.

I believe it was after receiving that comment, the OP had removed the hub. It's just my opinion if it was purposely done, they wouldn't have cared about taking it down right away.

No, she didn't take it down. It was live for hours.

Edit: She took it down because she knew she had to.

It may be due to being 'caught', or because of being 'informed', who knows.

If my math is correct, and she's located in the United States, 20 hours ago would have been around 8-9pm depending on the time zone? Isn't it possible "it was live for hours", because she wasn't on HubPages?

Unless her vampire based article was a self-representation, she might have been sleeping. lol

Anyways, they're clearly gone so I'm done in this thread. Happy hubbing! wink

2. theraggededge profile image96

You're disappointed because she got called out for copyright theft? Because she had the nerve to ask how to improve someone else's writing?

I'm disappointed that you are disappointed.

big_smile big_smile big_smile

In today's society, it just seems calling someone out has become more common than helping someone take the correct approach.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)