Should We Be Celebrating the Massacre at the Capital Gazette??

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (46 posts)
  1. crankalicious profile image88
    crankaliciousposted 5 years ago

A crazed lunatic walked into a newspaper in Annapolis yesterday (June 28) and murdered five people.

Should we be celebrating?

After all, President Trump tweeted in February that the FAKE NEWS media was the "enemy of the American people".

Now, some of those enemies have been vanquished.

Is this a victory for the American people? Our enemies have been defeated.

1. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Your question is misdirected to all but those responsible ,  only activists support the "celebrating" of crimes against humanity ," clean up your own house ".......

crankaliciousposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Shouldn't the enemies of the American people be killed?

2. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 5 years ago

I work at a newspaper, so this shooting obviously hit a little too close to home for me.

If anybody here thinks this was a reason to "celebrate" ... allow me to extend both middle fingers in your general direction, on behalf of those who died in Maryland yesterday, their families and co-workers, and everyone who works in this industry.

(exits thread)

I wonder if our President is celebrating. Wouldn't his statements indicate that he is. A few less FAKE NEWS journalists walking the earth.

2. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

+1

3. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

I believe the news  media here has an unspoken yet unchallenged obligation to assume  a position of heavy reflection in their missions and causes.THIS incident seems like nothing but a crime of violence perpetrated by someone  who is mentally "off the res". Yet the news media is so blatantly provocative lately about ideological divisiveness   that I would not have been surprised if this incident WERE a politically motivated act ,HAD IT BEEN .

Time for the media to tone it down !

Just wondering if a connection can be made. The President identifies a group as the "enemies of the American people" and some crazy person decides to kill them.

Osama Bin Laden was an enemy of the American people. We all celebrated when he was taken out.

1. Live to Learn profile image60

No connection can be made. Listen to the news. His reason had been shared.Sheesh. Some people are sick. And not just the gunman. People who bring up questions such as yours also.

Really? According to the President of the United States, the people who were murdered were enemies of the American people, so how can we not link that kind of speech to acts of violence against people who were enemies of the American people? Shouldn't we expect more acts of violence against people who are our enemies?

It cannot be directly linked, but how can it not be indirectly linked?

How do we usually behave with our enemies?

Since we know it is not directly linked I refuse top participate in such ill thought speculation. Because, honestly, this train of thought only attempts to create justification for violence.

So there's absolutely no possible connection between somebody who identifies a group of people as "enemies" and somebody who carries out violence against those enemies, depending on the influence of the person who made the original statement?

And let's add to the original statement about these people being "enemies" the additional characterization of them also being "scum", "slime", "disgusting", and "dishonest".

1. Credence2 profile image80
                Credence2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Trump, by stating that the press is the enemy, could easily foment such attitudes and reactions from his more earnest and mentally challenged followers, I don't see what is so far fetched about that?

2. crankalicious profile image88

Oh, and you're actually saying that the thought creates "justification for violence" but the statement about somebody being your enemy doesn't?

Do I actually have that correct?

3. crankalicious profile image88

Good, don't engage. Meanwhile, those on the right celebrate:

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/201 … elebration

Oh. I see. Because there is a nut that posted something disgusting, you pay something disgusting. Makes sense to you.

1. Aime F profile image71
                  Aime Fposted 5 years agoin reply to this

A day ago you posted:

“I've gotten scared by all the hate and intolerance. I think the tweets to kidnap Trump's son and granddaughter, then the guy arrested in FL for planning to kidnap and murder the children of a Congressman made me realize one side has jumped into the deep end.”

So some people on the left make some stupid posts and it’s somehow representative of that side “jumping off the deep end” but some people on the right make some stupid posts and it’s just “some nut”?

Mmmkay.

No. The nut comment works both ways. Bit, if you give credence to the comment, as if it is valid and attempt to put it in a reasonable context you give the nut reason to believe they made a valid point.

Plus, the bizarre justification for the violence on this event is not political. Why attempt to make it so? If not to show discord.

2. profile image0

You may celebrate "taking people out" all you want to . this is about a stalking  crime and violent crime alone ! but hey , go ahead and celebrate if that's what you want .

Tell me, what value to do human beings who are "enemies of the people", "scum", "slime", and "disgusting" have?

How could their lives possibly be worth anything?

1. profile image0

So what are you a net troll ,  What Trump is addressing is fake media , I know that and so do you ! What I can accept is that some exists , you apparently feel that all media is  all media lies ?    Don't blame the leftist Alinsky hate of today on Trump , your party adopted it !

I see, so now you want to qualify his statement. Trump has made it quite clear that the fake news media is pretty much every respectable news media outlet in America that reports anything negative about him. He said CNN, MSNBC, and the New York Times were all fake.

So I take it you would have no problem with somebody walking into CNN or the NYT and killing people since they're the enemies of America?

2. crankalicious profile image88

And further, those on the alt-right - where you get your news from - and who Trump believes is the real media (he has not accused Breitbart of being fake news) - are celebrating this massacre.

Are you celebrating? Happy? Did these fake news media people get what's coming to them?

4. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 5 years ago

If you celebrate death of innocent people, then that's on you.

Is it a stretch to assert that one might believe that people who support Donald Trump are celebrating the death of these "enemies of the American people"?

At the very least, perhaps they're thinking something like "gee, that's too bad. Maybe some of these journalists will be more careful about what they write next time."

1. MizBejabbers profile image88
        MizBejabbersposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I see the point that you are facetiously, and perhaps sarcastically, trying to make but I think you are going about it the wrong way. I think that Trump's hate speech against the press...that is so hailed by the Righteous Right...could easily be doing exactly what you are implying. However, I don't think it applies in this case because this guy was a stalker and a crazy. Again our courts, laws and law enforcement personnel failed to protect the public, and their excuse is that they have to wait until somebody dies. That's disgusting, and I don't think I need to say more.

1. IslandBites profile image89
          IslandBitesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree. However, he did comment about Trump and the press at least once. So hate speech against the press could validate this kind of thinking/actions (in these crazies minds.)

Who is "he"? Do you mean the shooter? If so, I had not heard or seen that. Good information to know.

1. IslandBites profile image89
              IslandBitesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes. He wrote, “referring to @realDonaldTrump as ‘unqualified’ @capgaznews could end badly (again).”

He linked to a Wall Street Journal article about Trump filing a $500 million lawsuit against Univision.

5. profile image0

So someone please explain to us all about how exactly Trump dissing the Fake News Media causes a woman's convicted stalker to go after HIS  hated media and start shooting them ? Especially showing  us how Trump's rhetoric is worse than liberal hate and divisiveness displayed by media ?

In other words , who started such a  war BUT the news media?

6. profile image0

Political naivete is extremely dangerous  , Who in their right mind would celebrate such psychopathic  criminal violence ?  You on the right ! You on the left ....................nobody ! That's exactly who !

Guess what children  , Not even Trump . Nor can the ties be made between his rhetoric and this mindless act of crime. To suggest so is simply immature and naively dangerous.

7. scooterport profile image90
    scooterportposted 5 years ago

This shooting has nothing to do with POTUS. This guy had a grudge against the paper. I assure you nobody is celebrating.

Read the post by IslandBites. She documents how he was stirred up by a Trump post. But you are correct that nobody is celebrating. I've followed Crankalicious for quite awhile. You get to know and get used to his satire...or don't follow him.

8. profile image0

Ir is absolute mindlessness to accuse trump of a crime committed by a recidivist woman stalker already arrested who decides to block the entrances of a news paper company , goes in with a shotgun and kills five people shooting seven more he feels responsible for his exposure ! While  I expect no less from immaturity of a couple in the threads , I'm still surprised at such rhetoric from adults .

Message ;Grow up , you know who you are .

I'm not accusing Trump of anything. I'm asking a question. I'll ask it a different way:

If the enemies of the American people are eliminated, would you celebrate?

We know that CNN and the New York Times are fake news. So if somebody walked into their offices and killed all those people, should we celebrate since they're the "enemies of the American people"?

1. profile image0

Isn't it "insanity" to repeat the same behavior over and over again expecting different results ? Same thing with this baiting question Crank , I can say this,  No one on the right wants that ,I can't however answer for the more prone to  activist and violent leftists , they are the ones with proven records of death and destruction .  Burning police cars , wrecking downtowns in riots or protest marches . 

What , you don't think the American public knows how twisted , immoral and  unethical our news media is ? Do we consider them the enemy ?    The fact that they are mostly a dying entity speaks volumes to this -In other words who's listening to them besides the marching left that they incite ?

If nobody on the right wants it, then why are they celebrating it?

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/201 … elebration

And if you declare some group "enemies of the American people" wouldn't that be an open invitation to violence?

And if you really want to play the game of who's more violent, we can. I don't really care for Maxine Waters, but her call for protests against Trump were met with the threat of lynching. And there's a popular Obama  poster where "hope" is replaced with "rope" and he's being lynched.

1. profile image0

Kind of digging for the fringes aren't you there , WHO are your  sources ?  Like ..........a nobody pretending to be a conservative ?

Not really. The alt-right are the leaders of the modern conservatives. Ever hear of Steve Bannon?

Trump and his supporters have declared much of the media "enemies of the people", but they clearly don't want to take responsibility for what those words mean. Is all of what Trump says just hyperbole then?

2. Aime F profile image71

Demanding sources after just suggesting in another thread a couple of days ago that “asking for proof is a deflection”? Jeez, are you feeling okay after that whiplash?

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
                Randy Godwinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Modus operandi

1. profile image0

You're talking into the mirror Randy !

9. profile image0

There is a huge difference in scale from right   to the left in rhetoric inciting violence , change , revolution and action in the streets. Anyone who can't see that is blind , lying or too young to know the difference , Too young ; I 've no desire to teach [prove it to you ]  you the difference ,  If you've been around awhile then you know and deny the difference .   One can do no more than find a stray example of violence inspired by the right .

The left ; the proof lies in the costs associated with riot control in almost every major city in America , in lies in ideologically inspired cop killings ,  it lies in the shadowy campus violence , sit ins , "crayola marchers " and sign making protesters . 
    Prove me wrong ?

1. Aime F profile image71

Look, there are bad people on the left. There are bad people on the right. I’m not jaded enough to believe those bad people are representative of the whole on either side. Attribute it to my youth, if you’d like. I attribute it to being a reasonable person. Most of the liberal marches have been peaceful. You may not like them but they’re not the angry, destructive mobs you’re making them out to be. The violence comes from the fringe, just as you’d say it does on the right.

It’s unfortunate that you don’t see how often you explain things away to assert your POV even when they’re often completely contradictory. Apparently recognizing hypocrisy is one thing that doesn’t improve with age.

1. profile image0

Nor does your youth allow you to understand the hypocrisy of your party ,  apparently it takes decades to not only attain anything but snap-shots  of political right and wrong but the maturity and insight to know the difference .  Your  left burns things down ideologically , the right maintains , apparently  one has to simply never turn your news on to know the difference ?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)