Do not ignore the war in the Ukraine. It could expand to the U.S.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (35 posts)
  1. Readmikenow profile image94
    Readmikenowposted 5 years ago

Right now President Trump is meeting with Vladimir Putin. The Ukrainian people are very worried. President Trump has supplied important weapon systems and more for Ukraine's battle against the Russian separatists.  He has also not said anything about Russians leaving Crimea.  I hope he keeps his promise of telling Putin he supports Ukraine.  Many people in the United States don't know the Russian mindset. They believe they should be able to take over their neighboring countries.  In the Ukraine, Crimea has been annexed and there is a war that has lasted over 4 years and has caused more than 10,000 deaths and displaced over 2 million people.  Russia is not building up forces along its boarder with Poland as well as Georgia.  If Russia desires to overrun these countries, even together, they could not stop it.  If Russia succeeds in taking over eastern European countries, it will spread to western Europe and then it would involve the United States.  I would like to see more about the Ukrainian war in the U.S. media.  It is a very bad situation.

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

Russians transgressions go unchecked when there is weak leadership in the US .  Much like his puppet governments all supported by him in the  in the middle east , Putin  ONLY respects diplomatic oppositions based on strong US leadership .     From Reagan to today's Trump  leadership  Russia has not only  been proven to fold under direct , strong , proven criticism BUT has increased it's regional spread under weak leadership in the US  [Obama }. Putin needs and wants to get  into the G7 and will promise , if nothing more , to tow the line .

Readmikenowposted 5 years agoin reply to this

ahorseback,

It is more complicated.  President Trump has given Ukrainians reason to cheer with things he's said, then sent them into deep despair with other things.  Here is a good article from the Atlantic, it is close to what is happening. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/internation … ne/565235/

3. Castlepaloma profile image75
    Castlepalomaposted 5 years ago

There has been a long a bad history between Ukraine and Russia. To add Americas mischievous plans to add fuel to the fire, is not good.

I never thought I'd agree with you, but you are absolutely correct.  I don't know if there are mischievous plans as much as their is a lack of desire to act. During the Obama administration, U.S. Senators, including John McCain went to Kyiv and stated at a public rally their support for Ukraine, then did next to nothing. We'll see what the future brings, hopefully a continued free Ukraine.

4. profile image0

Of course it's complicated or there would be no issue , it would have been solved already.      When Californika secedes will Russia interfere ?  No more than to support communist ideologies  and then back off.   Yet , America does the same .

What we won't do is anything more .

5. Readmikenow profile image94
    Readmikenowposted 5 years ago

Well, I wanted to tell everyone, I got contacted by a lot by people in the Ukraine after President Trump's public appearance with Putin. Some are rather angry. They wanted President Trump to stand up to Putin and put him in his place.  They wanted to see the war in Ukraine to be addressed.  I don't know what to tell them.  I said negotiating with someone like Putin will be complicated.  I don't think anything good would come from President Trump being combative with Putin.  I think the blind hatred of Putin by many Ukrainians I know is keeping them from seeing the bigger picture.  Much strong language was exchanged during my conversations.

1. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You friends in the Ukraine must suffer the very same political delusions as the American left ?

ahorseback, It's not that simple.  These are people who have had their soldiers die fighting Russians and separatist for the past four years.  If Russia was to leave Ukrainian territory in the East tomorrow, the Ukrainian Army would defeat the separatists in a short time.  They don't understand our boarder issues when their boarder issue is having the second largest military in the world over their boarder trying to overrun their country.  So, they wanted President Trump to speak about the war and take a strong stand against Russia.  That would have motivated Ukrainians very much. Since President Trump did not do such a thing, they are confused and worried.

1. profile image0

The Ukraine was one of the original Russian founders , a state of USSR right ?  What will Putin do about the secession of California or New York if and when ? Will he speak to them in USA -- Russian summits ?Doubt it.
          It is much deeper than we know .

You need to read some history.  Ukraine has been a free and independent country since 1991.  It is not similar to being a state in the United States.  When that happens, people of a territory vote to join the United States.  Russia only had Poland, Ukraine, Georgia, etc. because of military control.  No state of the former Soviet Union voted to be part of the Soviet Union. Your statement shows a total lack of understanding of the situation.

1. profile image0

So you think American states are held together by something other than a strong federal military , economic and political glue?   Perhaps you need the history book not I . Ukraine being soviet "free " since 1991  isn't a lot of history to demand US  intervention  for ,   I just love it when one is willing to become instantly hypocritical  for patriotism ,   If for instance Vietnam was a gargantuan mistake for America to involve itself in - what would be the political ramifications for sending US troops into the Ukraine?
              Yea , I know , let's just send them arms and money ?

In English, citizens of territories in the United States have voted to become part of the United States. The Soviet Union was made up of territories controlled by Russian military.  Either you can comprehend the difference or you can't. Read about the Hungarian revolution of 1956.  There was also the uprising of Poland against Russia. You don not know history.  Please stop acting as if you are anything but ignorant of it.  NOBODY is asking for U.S. military intervention.  Where do you come up with this stuff?  Stick with the facts.  President Trump has great power to get Putin to back away from the Ukraine, Poland and other eastern European countries.  This will benefit western Europe as well as the United States and provide stability.

1. wilderness profile image95
                  wildernessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What "great power" do you do you see Trump having to force Russia to leave these countries alone?

Good question.  There is economic pressure as well as placing a military base in the eastern European countries that are members of NATO.  These include Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic and others.  It would also help if the Ukraine was permitted to join NATO as was promised by Obama.  That would force Russia to make some difficult decisions.

2. profile image0

I know one thing the lack of intelligence isn't on the part of me or Trump sticking his nose where it doesn't belong  ,as with the USSR and Vietnam , I know enough to know the Ukrainian people have to do their own fighting by a majority before another  nation can submit blood and treasure to that cause .
                  When you attend the college of international politics and attain a degree in diplomacy , let us know .

If America jumped into every internal political situation or regional conflict in the world  we'd then be at war with every country in the world instead of too many already  , grow up !

If you are of Ukrainian decent and this is so important to you and your friends , go back to the Ukraine and  commit yourself to your own people and  fight your own civil wars , you can't do that from from America , safe as you apparently are here  .

You did not either read or understand what I've written.  It is obvious your ignorance has no limits.  Please stop responding on this thread. You can do nothing but provide pointless writing.  if you have a degree in diplomacy, it is only proof that an educated person can still be a very unintelligent person.

3. crankalicious profile image89
                  crankaliciousposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Mike, I heard a comment yesterday that said that Donald Trump has absolutely no interest in foreign diplomacy or in the U.S. foreign interests as it applies to national security.

Donald Trump's interest is Donald Trump. What's good for Donald Trump is good for America (he sees himself as the best representation of America - successful, rich; etc. - so what's of personal importance to him should be of importance to America). This may or may not be true in terms of his outlook, but it certainly seems that way. What relevance is Ukraine to Donald Trump? Does he have business there? Friends there?

We know he has business interests in Russia, so it's in his best interest to make friends with Putin and Russia, which is what he's doing. I think we know definitively that if US/Russia relations were better, Trump's business would be better. It might be in the country's best interest too. Who knows? I just don't see the Ukraine being of interest to him or affecting his business in any positive way since what's good for Ukraine isn't good for Russia.

I'm not trying to make a value judgement here. I'm merely trying to figure out his national security ideology.

To that, I say, so what?  I would like people to remember history.  Prior to World War II, the United States and Europe ignored what Nazi Germany was doing, and they did many things.  World War II may not have occurred if Europe stopped Hitler moving into Austria in 1936.  Putin is massing troops along its boarder with other eastern European countries. As Hitler annexed countries, I would like to point out Russia has annexed Crimea.  If this war is not dealt with in a strong way right now, the United States and Europe will be forced to face something much worse in the future.

2. Ken Burgess profile image75
            Ken Burgessposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Yes, it is.

Russia was just fine letting Ukraine be, just like they are fine with all their other neighbors being independent.

The Minsk II Agreements, which were agreed to by Russia, by the 15 member panel of the UN Security Council, and had France and Germany as guarantors, was never implemented by Ukraine.

Ukraine leaders have since said they never intended to implement them, they used those negotiations to give them time to build up their army so they could take the fight to Russia and take by force the breakaway Donbas regions and Crimea, which was part of the Russian Republic.

But as you say, it is far more complicated than that.

Ukraine is an East European territory which originally formed a western part of the Russian Empire from the mid-17th century.

https://hubstatic.com/16726947.jpg

The process of self-constructing identity of the Ukrainians after 1991 is basically oriented vis-à-vis Ukraine's two most powerful neighbors:

Poland and Russia.

In the other words, the re-constructing Ukrainian identity are neither Polish nor Russian but heavily influenced historically by both, throughout hundreds of years.

Therefore, an existence of an independent state of Ukraine, nominally as a national state of Ukrainians, is, and always has been conflicted, from both perspectives: historical and ethnolinguistic.

The Slavonic term Ukraine, for instance, in the Serbo-Croat case Krajina, means in the English language a 'Borderland', a provincial territory situated on the border between at least two political entities.

In this particular historical case, between the Kingdom of Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania as the Republic of Both Nations (1569−1795) and the Russian Empire.

In the other words, Ukraine and the Ukrainians as a natural objective-historical-cultural identity never existed as it was considered only as a geographic-political territory between two other natural-historical entities (Poland and Russia).

Today, it is absolutely clear that the most pro-western and anti-Russian part of Ukraine is West Ukraine ... the lands that were historically under the rule by the Roman Catholic ex-Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and the former Habsburg Monarchy.

It is obvious, for instance, from the presidential voting results in 2010 as the pro-western regions voted for J. Tymoshenko while the pro-Russian regions voted for V. Yanukovych.

It is a reflection of the post-Soviet Ukrainian identity dilemma between "Europe" and "Russia".

In general, the western territories of the present-day Ukraine are mainly populated by the Roman Catholics, the East Orthodox and the Uniates. This part of Ukraine is mostly nationalistic and pro-western oriented. The East Ukraine is in essence Russophone and subsequently "tends to look to closer relations with Russia" [John S. Dryzek, Leslie Templeman Holmes, Post-Communist Democratization: Political Discourses Across Thirteen Countries, Cambridge−New York: Cambridge University Press, 2002, 114].

In short, it is MY belief, that while we should have supported Ukraine in maintaining its independance.  We SHOULD NOT HAVE supported them in any way, in their attempts to reclaim Crimea or sabotage the Minsk II Agreement.

We should have told Ukraine from the outset, accept Minsk II or you are completely on your own.

If we had done that, hundreds of thousands would still be alive today that have died in this war.

Hundreds of thousands more would not be crippled.

And millions would still have homes in Ukraine, rather than being refugees elsewhere.

Not to mention the economic woes the EU is contending with, now that they have been cut off from their source of cheap energy and raw materials that Russia provided.

The Biden Administration is only determined to make this worse, for the world, as well as Ukraine.  The Biden Administration wants war with Russia, its not a matter of if... just when.

1. tsmog profile image83
              tsmogposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Thanks, Ken! I  learned! History is important, isn't it? You point that out clearly with the above. I also see it here in the struggle with the native tribes. There is a history surrounding our expansion seeking manifest destiny. One could also look at the early treaties of the settlers with tribes during the formation of the colonies.

1. Ken Burgess profile image75
                Ken Burgessposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Very true, America became what it is today because we trampled on everyone and anyone that got in the way of its expansion.

England, France, Spain, Mexico, to name the primary nations defeated during America's growth.

Our more recent efforts destroying Iraq, Libya, Syria, don't put the nation in a better light in that regard.

In any case, we don't belong in Ukraine, we don't belong supporting the continued escalation of the war there.  Cut off funding and supplying weapons and force Ukraine to the negotiation table.... that we chose not to do so, that we chose to support war rather than peace, is purely the choice of the Biden Administration.

A discussion on how this escalated, a timeline of events since 1991 is below, some good bits of information you won't easily learn of elsewhere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl0Y_ETTTf4

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
                  Castlepalomaposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Love Sachs views and presentation.

2. Castlepaloma profile image75
                Castlepalomaposted 6 months agoin reply to this

+

2. profile image0

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)