Republicans Hire Outside Counsel To Question Blasey/Ford

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (24 posts)
  1. GA Anderson profile image89
    GA Andersonposted 5 years ago

I think this is a smart move politically. A fair move for Blasey/Ford. And an honest effort to ensure a non-circus hearing.

Democrats, of course, are blasting the move. Blaming the Republicans of hiding, (anonymously?), behind their written questions submitted to that outside counselor.

What do you think?

GA

1. RJ Schwartz profile image87
      RJ Schwartzposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree that it's a non-partisan move, however I still don't expect her to show, even after the laundry list of demands she's made on the Senate committee.

GA Andersonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps yours was just an innocent choice of words RJ, but I don't agree that it was non-partisan. I think it was partisan as hell. The Republicans didn't want to give a public image of a bunch of Republican men stabbing at a female victim with accusatory-type questions.

A smart political move, but certainly partisan.

GA

1. IslandBites profile image88
          IslandBitesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

100%

2. RJ Schwartz profile image87

thank you for correcting me - I'm glad you understood what I meant and could fix my mistake

2. dianetrotter profile image61
      dianetrotterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don't know!  She is a prosecutor.  Will she act like a prosecutor?  Whom will be considered the defendant?  or is she asking probing questions to get more facts out?  Facts are important.

Hi Diane, I would say Kavanaugh is the defendant - he is the accused.

Since I must assume she is a smart woman, (the outside counsel), I also have to assume she is aware of the spotlight that will be on her. My bet is she will try to be as neutral as possible - while still presenting the Republican perspective.

This isn't a court, she has been asked to represent the Republicans.

GA

2. profile image0
        promisemposted 5 years agoin reply to this

To your point, maybe the Democrats should have been allowed to bring in a defense attorney in addition to the Republican's prosecutor.

They both could question both people. That truly would be the fair approach.

3. profile image0

You can add Julie Swetnick to the list. She has a sworn affidavit that she and others were drugged and gang raped by Kavanaugh and his friends in high school.

I agree it's smart to bring in an outsider. We'll see if she handles the questions fairly for both parties.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/26/michael … tnick.html

Just as a side note, promisem,  the outside counsel will not be handling the Democrat questions. They have too many 2020 presidential contenders to give up their camera face-time. They say they will be asking their own questions.

GA

1. profile image0

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Too bad, because they would look less partisan if they had a defense lawyer to represent their side.

Score one for the Republicans.

4. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the GOP are politicking, as are the Democrats.

The Democrats probably have the moral high ground though due to the nature of the circumstances.

It remains to be seen how objective Rachel Mitchell will be.

It also makes abundantly clear that there needs to be more women on the GOP side of the Committee.

Hi Don, You are right, the GOP does need more women. However, as you say; ...considering the nature of the circumstances, I think even with more women, it would still be a smart choice to bring in that outside counsel.

GA

5. Ken Burgess profile image76
      Ken Burgessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think we are in the midst of the end of Western Civilization as we know it, and what made it effective and functional for hundreds of years.

Not trying to be hyperbolic about this, but the Democrats are in essence using the accusation of sexual harassment/assault for purely political purpose.

They did this in the Alabama special election for the Senate seat that was all but won (according to polls) by the Republican nominee until those accusations came out, that proved unsubstantiated and false, but not until the election was over and the damage was done.

And they waited to use these allegations until the last moment, not six weeks prior when they were made aware of them.  In addition, it is a step by step, drip, drip, drip release of accusation after accusation, as was done against Trump just weeks before the election.

This is what we can expect in politics today, this card has been played against too many, too often. If it was one such event where accusers were coming out and declaring how horrible a person was, 30, 40 years ago it would be one thing... but this has been used far too often in the past couple of years for me to see this as anything more than a well groomed attack on a political figure.

When people believe strongly about something, it appears they are willing to say or do anything... this is the scary world we live in today, whether it is a prominent figure on a national newscast making wild unsubstantiated claims, or whether it is a political activist who has hard core beliefs who is willing to lie and destroy a person's reputation to further those political agendas, there seems to be no line that will not be crossed, no decency that will be held to.

Its all part of the social upheaval and civil deconstruction going on throughout most of the Western world, this is but one slice of the overall insanity, from the people reporting on it, to the politicians preening and protesting, that is signaling that something much more troubling has infected our reality.

1. profile image0
        Ed Fisherposted 5 years agoin reply to this

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2. GA Anderson profile image89

I am not quite as cynical relative to the "end" Ken, but I do agree with the purposeful nastiness and scheming of these attacks.

I may be stealing one of your prior mentioned thoughts, but I think we will be okay. The pendulum swings. The best we can hope for is that we are seeing the apex of this swing.

Taking this type of character attack back to high school years - completely discounting decades of laudable adult life achievements is, I think, a step that will end up being as damaging to the perpetrators as it is to the victims.

GA

1. wilderness profile image93
          wildernessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

"Taking this type of character attack back to high school years - completely discounting decades of laudable adult life achievements is, I think, a step that will end up being as damaging to the perpetrators as it is to the victims."

We can only hope.  And hope as well that both sides get this message loud and clear, for the right is just as disgusting in it's political games.  It has not gone quite this far, but now the door has been opened there is no doubt that it will in the future.

1. profile image0
            Ed Fisherposted 5 years agoin reply to this

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2. Ken Burgess profile image76
          Ken Burgessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

GA,

I chose to post this on your thread because I wanted to share this brilliantly prepared, articulated, and informative video with you about Prof. Ford, and the adulation and rewards she is receiving for her 'heroic' stand against 'male oppression'.

Project out to where this type of systematic education will lead... by no means do I believe what was done to Kavanaugh will be the turning point to a more civil and sane social discourse, sadly, I think what we witnessed occur to Kavanaugh shall become common place in our society... as this video attests, we have entire universities dedicated to its propagation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFL6k5yOAFM

I can see your point Ken, but that video didn't do much for me. A similar video could probably be made about Harvard with the perspective addressing men.

GA

2. IslandBites profile image88
    IslandBitesposted 5 years ago

Non-partisan move? lol

1. RJ Schwartz profile image87

I deserved that....ouch

3. profile image0
    Ed Fisherposted 5 years ago

What a spectacle , Democrats are now supporting a "public hanging "  that would have been prevalent a hundred years ago , more interesting is that how much more revealing that the "selective justice "  has arisen from the democratic party .  They have always been soft on all crimes ,  A sitting Bill Clinton and dozens of sexual allegations -Democrats ; "You've got nothing "............... but give it  democratic allegations against a conservative SCOTUS , different story !

They don't even need evidence . Hang him.

4. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 5 years ago

It doesn't matter what the Republicans do, how sensitively they attempt to approach this. The left will condemn it and attempt to paint it as hateful.

The manipulation and lies will not serve the left well, in the long run.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)