Hallelujah! HP took a stand in the tropical forums

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (23 posts)
  1. profile image0
    promisemposted 5 years ago

NOTE: Sorry, I meant topical and not tropical. Too bad we can't edit our headlines.

HP closed a topical forum to new replies for the first time in my memory. You can see why by looking at the posts on there.

https://hubpages.com/politics/forum/340 … d-by-4chan

Note the line at the bottom that says, "Closed to reply".

I thank HP editors for protecting the reputation and credibility of the site.

I suggest in the future that editors put the closed comment at the top of the forum where it is more obvious and make a statement as to why you took the action.

Maybe it will encourage more people to behave themselves.

1. lobobrandon profile image89
      lobobrandonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

There's one on the HP tutorials and community that may get closed to comments soon as well.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

That one guy insulted this entire website. I could hardly believe what I was seeing. And that person contributes nothing here.

3. Rupert Taylor profile image95
    Rupert Taylorposted 5 years ago

That's good news. I just hope the bloviators don't migrate over to this forum. It will be a full-time job shutting them down.

1. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Bloviators...Love that word. But one gets to use it so seldom, thanks for reminding me that it exists.

4. Dean Traylor profile image93
    Dean Traylorposted 5 years ago

It was time. Sometimes, it feels like you're gearing for bloody battle just to express or defend your thoughts on some of these posts.

1. profile image0
      promisemposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yep, I totally agree.

5. RJ Schwartz profile image87
    RJ Schwartzposted 5 years ago

I’m the one being punished & you are applauding it - so communist of you and your comrades!

If you don’t like a discussion leave - no one makes you stay. Or you can run to mommy and report me.  Enjoy my one finger salute!

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I reported the one person who can't say anything true, and whose comments were attacks upon persons who weren't even on that thread.

I don't think that person should be on this website. He insulted the entire website, and suggested that, because persons on this website do not agree with him, that this website should and would perish.

Of course I stated what I was doing on that thread. I'm not into being devious. I would assume the thread was shut down because that one person was personally attacking several other persons, and also insulting the entire Hubpages network.

I've been here nearly 9 years. I'm fairly well outraged by someone whose contributions here amount to zero, and insinuates that this website should perish because there are persons here who do not agree with his personal outlook of things.

It would be better, I think, were there not persons here who, all day, and every day, do nothing other than make unsubstantiated insults towards our chief executive, the executive branch of the US federal government, and all other persons who fail to align with his personal view.

I'm not sure I had anything to do with anything. I don't want to be important. Could be something else going on. I'm not ashamed of having reported that person.

2. profile image0

Wow. Out of control reply. I wasn't even talking about you. The editors obviously closed it because of other people and not because of you.

If anything I have respected your restraint and attempts to be reasonable -- until now.

Enjoy the two-fingered salute from the other side of my hand.

1. RJ Schwartz profile image87
        RJ Schwartzposted 5 years agoin reply to this

But here you are grandstanding or is it gloating, or whatever it is that you call this thread.

1. profile image0

I understand why you are upset that HP closed a thread that you initiated. Do you understand that it was not because of you and that this thread is not about you?

Other websites act a lot more aggressively toward bad behavior on forums to protect site reputation. Reputation impacts audience and ad revenue.

The fact that HP is finally doing what other sites do is a positive thing. We all benefit.

3. MizBejabbers profile image88

I'm sorry you feel that way, Ralph. I commend you for your restraint and reasonableness even when I don't agree with you. I know who this person was, and he certainly was not you. If he showed up on my hubs, I would have refused his comments. However, he did attack me on one of your hubs as a commenter for something I said in a forum, not for what I said concerning your hub, so he put himself out on the limb with his personal attacks on people. I don't know whether the person who initiates the forum can refuse or delete replies, but if it's possible, I certainly would advise refusing him a platform here, too.

1. profile image0

Well said, Miz!

1. MizBejabbers profile image88

Thanks, Promisem. I think I'm going to have to refute part of what I said. After thinking about it, I don't believe that this was the same person who attacked me personally in the comments on one of Ralph's hubs. In fact, I don't believe he posted on the closed off hub at all, and that's very unusual. I wonder if he got a warning for his personal attacks.

1. theraggededge profile image98
            theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If you are referring to someone with an equine affinity... haven't seen him around for a while. Probably banned.

1. profile image0

Yes, that account is gone. But he came back under another name.

1. theraggededge profile image98
                theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oh... why do they bother? They must realise they're not wanted. Clue to new name?

1. profile image0

Yes, the clue is EF.  smile

He uses the exact same spelling, grammatical and even punctuation errors. He also says the exact same thing about politics.

2. MizBejabbers profile image88

No, I wasn't referring to anyone horsey. And I did suspect that because of the identical punctuation errors. Clue: he always puts a space before periods and commas. In fact, one day started to ask him if he was making those errors or was it computer glitches. But then I was afraid it might be taken as a personal attack. Seems that we have several on the attack. I was speaking of someone else who changed his "handle," but it still begins with a "T".

1. Dean Traylor profile image93
                Dean Traylorposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I know who you are talking about. He's paranoid (no joke). He claims there's enemies in everything and everyone no matter how irrational it can be. For example, He went off on someone who gave another writer accolades and accused him of being something "deplorable" (actually an ideology he doesn't like). Also, he seems to have an issue with floating capsules. He seriously has a screw loose.

3. Jean Bakula profile image93
              Jean Bakulaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You're right, come to think of it. Haven't seen that one around. And the Kavanaugh forums are getting really nasty. Being careful and mostly reading. Sick of the whole topic anyway.

4. psycheskinner profile image85
      psycheskinnerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ah the impeccable logical of a person who is moderated according to the owner's standards and says everyone else should leave.  It's like peeing on your neighbor's sofa and when they complain trying to evict them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)