100 words without the letter "A"

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (51 posts)
  1. Kevin Peter profile image62
    Kevin Peterposted 10 years ago

Can you say 100 words continuously that doesn't contain the letter "A"? If yes, please explain how?

1. phdast7 profile image81
      phdast7posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Do you mean an intelligent sentence/paragraph?   or just words?

lemon, onions, milk, butter, cheese, chips, flour, buttermilk, honey, grits, bulghur, olives, celery, eggs, rice, lentils, cherries, blueberries, kiwi, honeydew, kidneys, liver, chicken, turkey, pork, mutton, fish, mussels, shrimp, lobster, oysters, pepperoni, corn, pickles, beets, pumpkins, lettuce, jelly, preserves, pickles, biscuits, muffins, pie, strudel, swiss, brownies, cookies, cheese, provolone, yogurt, juice, coffee, syrup, pepper, dill, dish, fork, knife, spoon,bowl, cup, mug, tongs, grill, fry, broil, pepper, chiles, ginger, pumpernickel, lime, nutmeg, figs, cherries, skillet, dutch oven, stove, counter, stool, shelf, rug, broom, mop, picture, sink, tub, shower, blinds, computer, cell, phone, olive oil, broccoli, Chinese five spice, one, two, three, four, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, sixty, seventy, eighty, ninety, hundred, million, billion, french, portuguese, british, Mexico, Mississippi, Oregon, Illinois, Tennessee, Kentucky , Greece, New Jersey, New York, Pittsburgh, Ceylon, Philippines, reef, dessert, pie, desert, jungle, river, pool, pond, brook, rocks, pebbles, underground, mining, gold, silver, copper, spider, mouse, insects, turtle, squirrel, mole, centipede, thrush, owl, fox, lion, dogs, wolves, tree, bush, flowers, weeds, iris, roses, 

I wonder if your intent, your purpose is for the writer to produce one long continuous sentence or story or possibly multiple sentences on specific topics, which will be much more difficult to complete.   I Interesting exercise - flow of consciousness with words is interesting to observe.  I think I will  give up now, for this is too much like work.  smile 

To be honest, I removed the word Smyrna because it had an A in it.  Thanks to Motown and her sharp eyes for spotting it.   I read over my 100+ word list three times and didn't see it.  lol

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have to say, that seemed like quite a bit of effort. I like your commitment. lol

Hi Beth -  I love words and so I just free associated.   It took about twenty minutes of seat time in front of the desktop.  smile

2. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Your list is awesome, but Smyrna has an a in it.....drat!

You have good eyes Motown.   I checked and rechecked the list for the letter a and of course every time when I got to Smyrna all I noticed was  the "y."   Well shoot!   At least I went well over 100 words, so Smyrna will have to me my throwaway.   smile

1. profile image0
            Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's funny isn't it?  Our eyes land right on what isn't supposed to be there in the midst of everything that belongs!  And, lemme tell ya, it was probably luck!  I was always terrible at the 'spot the differences' puzzles!

big_smile

3. Sed-me profile image79
        Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ok, let's try it as a paragraph then.

I sent my sister to the store. She's very timid! She needs to get out more, maybe even meet some nice boy. However, she forgot the grocery list buying tons of things we didn't need. Things like weed killer, pruning sheers, even fertilizer! I couldn't believe it! I didn't even know the grocery store sold those things! She'd spent our food money for the week on tools! I blew up! "How could you be so stupid?! You were supposed to get lettuce, milk, eggs... things we need to survive. I knew you were silly, but I didn't know you were completely bonkers!" She just smiled so I yelled and yelled some more until she led me over to the window, where, in our overgrown flower bed, stood the most comely fellow I'd ever seen holding some sheers. My mouth fell open when she spoke. "He's my new boyfriend, groundskeeper Joe. I met him on the bus. " We were slightly hungry, but I never more referred to her with the word "timid".

4. SemSem WN profile image60
        SemSem WNposted 5 years agoin reply to this

رئع عزيزتي

5. KC3Lady profile image60
        KC3Ladyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations, phdast7. It looks like you did it. LOL

2. Silverspeeder profile image60
      Silverspeederposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No but I know a few without a vowel at all
      Sky, spy, shy, fry, fly, why, dry, try, tryst, gym, hymn, lynx, lynch, myth, wyrm, myrrh, rhythm, pygmy, gypsy, flyby, crypt, nymph, and syzygy.

Anybody know anymore?

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

a,e,i,o,u and sometimes y and w

3. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Exit, cousin, sibling, mother, uncle, pope, nun, sister, brother, priest, future, present, history, life, elope, evil, died, lied, defile, Egypt, pepper, fish, egg, green, grey, purple, olive, loden, blue, violet, indigo, turquoise, million, trillion, quintillion, sextillion, septillion, octillion, multillion, moon, Venus, Jupiter, Pluto, Mercury, Virgo, Pisces, Gemini, Leo, Scorpio, medium, only, singleton, crux, trust, night, jet, onyx, sky, evening, midnight, devil, pitch, ditch, itch, ugly, terrible, horrible, incredible, inedible, delicious, sushi, uni, flounder, found, lost, cost, effective, gorgeous, high, low, excellent, good,  benefit, vow, wow, Connecticut, Wyoming, Illinois, Missouri, Ohio, gel, tell, dive, strive, money, sleep, ghetto, neighborhood, country, onion, lettuce, butter, chicken, ending,old.

Now, that's was easy. Just think of one word and THE REST will follow!

4. bBerean profile image60
      bBereanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it's easy:
      "100 words continuously."
      wink

5. Smyles profile image60
      Smylesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you were asked to do this orally the easiest thing to do is start counting!! One, two, three...all the way to one hundred! You don't get an 'a' until you say 'one hundred and one'!

6. profile image57
      yedhiperdikahalikposted 7 years agoin reply to this

luar biasa ....

7. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

got, get, set, thee, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen, twenty, twenty-one, twenty-two, twenty-three, twenty-four, twenty-five, twenty-six, twenty-seven, twenty-eight, twenty-nine, thirty, thirty-one, forty, fifty, sixty, seventy, eighty, ninety, one hundred, sushi, broccoli, blue, green, turquoise, light, lightness, lightest, sky, midnight, nighttime, orb, demon, godly, godlike, goddess, Mercury, Jupiter, Pluto, Venus, Jennifer, Guinevere, Gwendolyn, greet, green, evil, live, veil. vile, tight, trunk, truck, tuck, clock, student, prudent, trident, win, lose, forgive, give, thrive, success, medium, dove, groove, diner, timer, dime, nickel, octoroon, quintroon,
      million, billion, trillion, vigintillion, multillion, griot, grim, trim, emote, quote, trot, sheet, purple, puce, pink, white, ivory, grey, gold, silver, copper, viper, Europe, cooked, oyster, muted, blonde, brunette, brownette, Nordic, Nilotic, roots, Peru, thought, pensive, philosophy, consciousness, superior, inferior, mediocre, & snow.

8. The Lemony Life profile image59
      The Lemony Lifeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

The numbers 1-100 do not have the letter a in them at all!

9. Shaya Lehman profile image59
      Shaya Lehmanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

One, two, three, four, five, etc. (all the way to 100)

10. livetech profile image57
      livetechposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Well, if you look at words which feature 'y' as a vowl rarely have an A, example would be -lynch, nymph, pygmy, lynx, my, dry, fly, myth, wyrm, crypt, flyby, glyph,, shy, sky, sly, spy, try, sty, why, wry, hymn, cyst, myrrh,  gypsy,  rhythm, fry, cry, pry, gym

hope that helps

11. Wajiha Fatima profile image60
      Wajiha Fatimaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

So easy,
      One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine,ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen,sixteen, seventeen, eighteen,nineteen, twenty,twenty one, twenty two, twenty two........all the way to hundred.

12. Nicole Margulis profile image52
      Nicole Margulisposted 5 years agoin reply to this

wow. How are people actually doing this?!

13. Dipali Ingle profile image40
      Dipali Ingleposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Impossible for me

14. profile image0
      Alma Evansposted 3 years agoin reply to this

zero to ninety-nine.

1. JeremiahStoryteller profile image82
        JeremiahStorytellerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Men girl child

1. profile image0

But we need 100 words smile

2. Jiwryte profile image59
    Jiwryteposted 10 years ago

My, how to show you: One hundred words without one specific letter. Quite  difficult, but not impossible. One is forced to puzzle it out, thinking continuously, trying to provide this uncommon request.  Is it possible? Will it ever be done?  Yet, I suppose, with enough forethought, ingenuity, being inspired by, How?  Well, well, let's see...Oh, it helps to be slightly inspired, intrinsicly  nerdy, proceeding in fits,stops, going on slowly. Seems like the closer you get to the end, the degree of difficulty multiplies.  But I suppose, yes, it's possible, if not spoken, then surely written, with some circuitous routing, but yes, seem it is indeed possible

3. Sunardi profile image69
    Sunardiposted 9 years ago

If only mention the words is easy, but if I must make a sentence use words without A is not easy I think.

4. Sed-me profile image79
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

love, life, minor, blot, hid, hide, hone, bone, lone, throne, chrome, drone, spleen, dorm, honey, took, rook, hook, brook, come, from, just, bust, trust, must, lust, behoove, groove, lick, stick, prick, tick, hover, bother, cover, glop, grope, tend, bend, send, lend, friend, end, chip, dip, lip, trip, tripe, hype, snipe, pipe, type, dog, frog, grog, log, snog, pooch, hooch, dither, hug, rug, tug, dug, mug, jug, lug, gin, hen, cine, trite, smite, kite, fright, night plight, white, sight, light, night, height, win, wine, wind, rind, round, pound, clown, down, mound, town, frown, slip, sleep, deep, treat, eat, plot, dot, pool.

phdast7posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Great job, but check your last line....replace treat and eat with words with no a.   smile

1. Sed-me profile image79
        Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

trot hot

1. profile image0
          SATradersposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image0

Can we promote blogs in this platform?

5. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

dove, drive, level, letter, better, lost, boss, cross, bet, pet, put, pit, pot, sock, crock, clock, lurk, white, write, right, omit, hermit, meticulous, ridiculous, ludricous, wonderful, tell, cell, stem, chlorophyll, pleistocene, psycho, rock, brook, ice, Europe, Oregon, God, Jesus, enlightment, evolve, dissolve, solution, dissolution, revulution, communist, deny, refute, conclusive, broccoli, nothingness, zero, positivity, possibility, impossibility, Jones, controlling, burdensome, onus, whip, zip, sheet, bone, offwhite, obtuse, brutish, uncouth, roughneck, Newport, Suffolk, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, demote, inspire, denote, consequence, reverence, dog, disrespect, intellect, gifted, Semitic, Coptic, orthodox, bible, bestseller, miniscule, vigintillion mugshot, wretched, scope, splendid, delve, indeed, ink, pink, kin, tingle, mingle.

More goodies without the letter "a".

6. ironangel89 profile image60
    ironangel89posted 9 years ago

shop, crop, slop, sloppy, joe, show, grow, low, mow, sew, shoe, fool, crew, cruel, slew, Jew, tool, cool, stool, mule, cow, house, mouse, couch, wrench, bench, sink, link, blink, wink, crinkly, tickle, jingle, jury, hurry, worry, bury, store, for, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, one, two, three, run, running, stroll, strolling, stroller, mole, stole, bowl, roll, jolly, folly, stop, cop, police, fire, wire, sire, dire, leer, veer, deer, steer, reindeer, lion, lying, bed, red, led, died, lied, ride, kite, flight, slight, might, right, light, troll, lime, lemon, melon, ice, rice, lice, mice, beer, tire, tired, wired, fired, shock, block, sock, rock, rocking, rocked,

1. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

umber, sober somber, tomb, comb, voting, tote, mirror, cypress, typing typology, intuitive, thinking, feeling, seeing, freeing, freeze, bronze, noon, soon, tune, tomfoolery, cuisine, gold, red, bred, breed, brood, gruel, gripe, throughout, threw, muscle, skeleton, skinny, obese, rotund, corpulent, quinteroon, octoroon, look, foreseen, blonde, Negroid, woolly, cellulose, viscose, nutty, Theodore, Frederick, Mindy, fleshtone, nude, cherry, gentle, slither, smoky, moss, glossy, superior, inferior, pecking, mysterious, neighbor, frenemy, comedy, Hun, Goth, Mongol, genus, mink, herb, superb, suburb, subtropic, viper, tiger, sizzle, scorching, welcoming, chickenpox, fizzle, juvenile, puerile, neon, eight, ninety, teen, preteen, tween, oddity, outsider, excluded, Nordic, Berber, desert, dessert, stressed, ionic, Moors, Poles, Czechs, Greeks, Turks, culture, intermingling, Vikings, Swedes, north, south, east, west, northwest.

1. livetech profile image57
        livetechposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Umber - good one!!

7. profile image58
    Jello curly girlposted 6 years ago

Very rare topic to discuss !
    Great work !

8. Natalie Frank profile image91
    Natalie Frankposted 6 years ago

Keen to know more, I look to see how to count in English. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, well – you get the point, I’m sure.  Next on the list of new knowledge is figuring sums, one plus one is two, two plus two is four, four plus four is eight, eight plus eight is sixteen – once more you must comprehend by now the method here.  Following this is simple division, thirty divided by two is fifteen, fifteen divided by five is three, three divided by one is three, quite simple this simple division, yes?  Finishing the lesson is multiples, one times two is two, two times two is four, four times two is eight then continue until you’ve met your objective.

Sort of a cop out since I just kept using numbers but there it is (Hey - this last sentence also had no A's!)

1. profile image0
      SATradersposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I am a bloger you can read my blog here https://www.healthcareum.online if you ever check this msg.

9. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

I'm a cheater and lazy so just looked up A list of words without vowels A E I O U or Y recognized by The Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
    http://wordslisted.com/words/no-vowels/

10. Fazle khalik profile image59
    Fazle khalikposted 6 years ago

Yar Fatima he asked letters not numbers

11. reedvirginia profile image58
    reedvirginiaposted 6 years ago

Wow.... Wow! after reading all comments it seems to thousand if I made a list!

12. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 5 years ago

Listing words short of one letter poses problems unless poetry is the solution.
    Why, we could ponder, would persons desire to execute this expedition?

Pretty word pictures might be formed by writing precisely right, short of this symbol.
    Furthermore, into the pledge mirthful glee comes from the test–success is due to control.

Victory emerges following service rendered. Eminence proffered by prior contenders.
    But consequences become key issues when loftier problems linger–persistent foes!

Heeding weightier topics, focusing on chief essentials gives genuine triumph.
    Keeping our minds, thinking by wisdom, plus ditching fluster smooths out our months.

(Warning, not using an A makes you really want to use an A, and loads of As are the antidote.)

13. Charmain Blogguer profile image60
    Charmain Blogguerposted 5 years ago

Well, to write 100 words continuously without using the first vowel, I think one could begin by trying to stop oneself from using words with lots of vowels in them.

Quite honestly, it is very difficult to do plus, while doing it, you begin to wonder why someone would even choose to go through the trouble. Just to prove the possibility of it or simply by virtue of one not being up to refusing?

I know the words are close to being complete, but it is quite tiring trying to think up those words. I wish luck on you if you try to do this.

14. extraxnet profile image60
    extraxnetposted 4 years ago

Haha, i now have all these words for my game. Thanks .

15. cherrycrumble profile image61
    cherrycrumbleposted 4 years ago

Even the Cherry Crumble don't have A. ha ha ha

16. Luis G Asuncion profile image64
    Luis G Asuncionposted 4 years ago

Love, humble, letter, die, fed, less, worth, lot more

17. Isivwe Muobo profile image72
    Isivwe Muoboposted 4 years ago

How are you guys even doing this! Lol. I have been racking my brain trying to come up with a few logical sentences that don't contain the letter 'a' but had to give up after a while.

18. Luis G Asuncion profile image64
    Luis G Asuncionposted 4 years ago

I wanted to share words without letter "A" however, I find it difficult.

1. fluxit profile image60
      fluxitposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Awesome

19. Luke Holm profile image89
    Luke Holmposted 3 years ago

This is 100+ consecutive words without using the letter "a."

Do you know how to sit down? Some people do not. They're unsuccessful despite trying their best. They stumble or trip in their folly. They stub their toes or bump their nose. They hit their shins. They cry when they don’t get it. They just don’t comprehend how sitting works.

Sometimes, some people will just give up without ever sitting down. They roll over. They lie on the ground. They stoop or hunch. But those who don’t give up jump onto their feet to meet the street with the determined mind of elite individuals, victors, the people who get to chill out. This person will soon sit down. They will plop their butt on cushions propped up by four wooden legs. It will be sweet. It will be stupendous. Hell yes!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)