CONSERVS: why Trump spends more tax payer money on travel over Obama?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Credence2 profile image79
    Credence2posted 5 years ago

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/obama … vel-costs/

I get a little irritated when the Right complained endlessly over Obama's so called lavish personal spending while in office. With the latest outrage from Marie Antoinette (Melania Trump), I only hear crickets?

And don't tell me that this is fake news, these stats can be found anywhere on the web, thank you....

I thought in the beginning that the Trumps were digging out of the own pockets to pay expenses beyond that of acceptable subsistence rates that would be adhered to by responsible public servants.

Could I be wrong and the taxpayer have to absorb all the opulence of this Trump Klan?

So, conservatives, where is the outrage?

I am keen on the exaggeration of Trump personal spending behavior, but it still is considerably more than Obama's and it is ironic that Trump had the nerve to criticize Obama in this regard. It is just as Jake says, the man truly is a clown.

1. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Tell me Cred, just how bad do you think Pres. Trump's costs are - relative to Pres. Obama?

Reading through your link, it appears Pres. Trump's monthly cost are about double Pres. Obama's. But ... Snope's did debunk that $147 million in 9 months meme.

If the legitimate security protection costs , (a legitimate cost, regardless of president),  for sons and family members not in D.C were subtracted the comparison  probably wouldn't be as bad as it is.

Hopefully you noted I am not disputing Pres. Trump, and family's costs exceed Pres. Obama's.

However, consider what this tidbit tells us. Apparently the Secret Service spent $60,000 - over twelve outings, for golf cart rental for the details that protect the president.

That's $5,000 in golf cart rentals per outing. Damn! How many carts did those security details need? And what were they, mini armored humvee-like carts? Looks like somebody is milking the cow.

"Trump Klan opulence??? You complain about Pres. Trump's hyperbole ... yet here you are. Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.

GA

1. Credence2 profile image79
        Credence2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

"Hopefully you noted I am not disputing Pres. Trump, and family's costs exceed Pres. Obama's."

I am more irritated at the fact that Trump spent so much time criticizing Obama about this, while it can be said that he exceeded Obama in time off and personal expenses. What is good for the goose is good for the gander, why is this point being ignored by conservatives? Is Trump always considered as some sort of exception?

Yeah, I remember that "I won't have time to golf..." comment on the campaign trail. It is biting him in the butt now.

But be fair ... campaign baloney is pretty commonplace.

GA

1. wilderness profile image94
            wildernessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Trump, at his heart, is a businessman.  How much business do you think he has done on a golf course in his life?  How many relationships has he developed by "playing golf" with someone he wants something out of?

Or maybe it's just his personal way of relaxing, letting things settle in his mind.  Or maybe he's just spending money to make his opponents mad. big_smile

2. wilderness profile image94

5,000 per outing for golf cart rentals?  At $25 per cart, that's 200 carts!  What kind of golf course has 200 carts sitting around?!?

I bet they were charged a lot more than "normal" cart rental prices.

And that $25 cart rental price is only for courses you and I can afford to play on. .

GA

3. gmwilliams profile image84
        gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Michelle Obama was the QUEEN of unnecessary travelling.  She travelled to go shopping & other extravagances.   The Obama wasted more tax payer money on travelling than any other modern president.  Michelle travelled just to be travelling-it was seldom, if any, on official business.  She travelled to Italy just to purchase designer fashions.   I am w/GA here, Cred.

2. Ken Burgess profile image79
      Ken Burgessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Really?

How Sad.

The people you surround yourself with, you become.  Or something along those lines, not really worth finding the appropriate phrase, I'm sure my point is clear enough.

3. Sharlee01 profile image79
      Sharlee01posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Maybe a bit too soon to predict the cost of what Trump's travel expenditures will cost us for his tenure? Not sure if he will top Obama's personal travel expenditures?  After doing just a bit of research, I could find no actual "presidential vacations" Trump has yet to plan? I did find several weekend trips to his own properties, most that included work-related appointments, with golf included during the weekends. To soon to nitpick...

https://www.politifact.com/punditfact/s … s-taxpaye/

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-mete … vacations/

2. Live to Learn profile image59
    Live to Learnposted 5 years ago

I never complained about Obama's spending.  I would think, though, if Trump is as rich as he claims he'd pick up some portion of the travel bill for him and his family. But, I'd have to look at the specifics before complaining there were differences.

3. profile image0
    Ed Fisherposted 5 years ago

This is the most humorous thread to date for the Trump haters , they explained away Obama's frequent and immediate Hawaii vacations as "normal " Michelle and girl's  many overseas jaunts even without him , the middle east ,  Africa ,  Asia , ...............all "on our dime ".
    What a joke !

Don't see ANY liberals asking about Trump's many salary donations do we ? Or the fact that his campaign was financed in part by his own dollar ? Or that we are benefiting wildly from his family working alongside him , yes working .  Seems  to me that Trumps natural appetite for long hours at work and making deals is to our benefit ,
    Liberals ever discuss these points ?
    Nope .
    Lame !

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Have to agree w/Ed here.....

2. JAKE Earthshine profile image68
      JAKE Earthshineposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Does Ed Fisher have any tangible proof of Bozo Trump's so called 'salary donations' or 'campaign financing'?

Does he actually believe an individual who according to reports, did this would use his own money for anything? Come on, get real:

"This is the portrait of Donald Trump that his charity bought for $20,000"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos … 14036d68e4

Those proofs are freely available out there.  You won't find them because you frequent only sites denigrating the president, never a balanced reporting, and that does fit into the scheme of making our president appear as bad as possible.

1. JAKE Earthshine profile image68
          JAKE Earthshineposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Mr. Trump does a fine job of 'denigrating' himself thank you very much, he needs no help from anyone in that area and it appears as if it's the only thing he's wonderfully adept at, along with hoodwinking a dwindling number of Americans:

I still don't know where his campaign funds came from or went to nor have I seen any proof about his salary and if you actually believe the unbelievable after his thousands of documented lies, good for you wilderness:

I dunno - you sure spend a lot of time helping someone that needs no help!

That's what I said - you will never find that information because you refuse to look for it and if it rises up and bites you, you will ignore it in favor of made up stories designed to denigrate President Trump.

1. Valeant profile image86
              Valeantposted 5 years agoin reply to this

So, according to information from the same source that put Obama family travel at 104 million during the eight years in office, Trump family travel in year one was 13.5 million.

So, while he complained often about all the travel of the Obamas, he's spending at the same level, but also making money from that travel since he goes to his own properties and charges the secret service for things such as golf cart rentals.

So that salary donation is easily offset by his personal gain from his traveling to his own properties so often.

1. profile image0
                Ed Fisherposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That's being a smart businessman .

If he went elsewhere, the charge to the SS would be the same.  But if his business profits rather than some other business, for doing the exact same thing, it is wrong and means that he didn't give up his salary.

Did I get that right?

Yeah Ed, there's law against using your position for profit.  So the fact that you concede that him being a good businessman is an excuse for breaking our laws just doesn't hold water.

Dan, in his first 437 days in office, Trump had taken spent 140 days at Trump properties, 53 days of leisure, and 33 rounds of golf.  At the same point, Obama was at 15 days of leisure and 17 rounds of golf.  It's not that he's doing things elsewhere, it's that he's doing it more often and to his own personal benefit.

1. profile image0
                    PrettyPantherposted 5 years agoin reply to this

And, he promised to never take a vacation.  Of course, most of us knew that was a lie, but after all the criticism he leveled at Obama, it's just one more example that he is a lying, law breaking hypocrite, and lazy to boot.

From your post, the First Family is spending about what was spent with the last First Family.  What's the gripe?

You just want him to go to a course he doesn't like as much and isn't as comfortable at, but one you picked instead of him?

3. Sharlee01 profile image79
                    Sharlee01posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Obama most years would spend two weeks in Hawaii vacationing, not working.  Trump as of yet has not taken a vacation? He did at one point work for 11 days in one of is golf clubs while the WH was renovated. Other than that he has only taken long what he called "working weekends at his resorts.   And yes he did seem to play golf on these occasions.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-mete … vacations/

4. profile image0

We shouldn't be at all surprised that libbies are melting down now over Trump using a hotel  , what else have they got to do but follow the lead of "anything that works , will do for impeachment "?  Do you all suppose that Jimmy Carter still ate peanuts when he became president ? Or , the GW , GHW Bush still purchased gasoline made from oil ?   Did the Obama's still use attorneys ? 

KInda' lame kiddies . Kinda' lame .

If expecting the leaders of the country to follow its laws is melting down, you have an odd sense of description to say that is melting down.  Jimmy Carter put his business in a blind trust.  Obama did not own a law firm when he became president.  Your whataboutisms are the only lame thing here.

5. profile image0

Lame !

6. profile image0

Trump works wherever he is , at all hours , with all kinds .
    Prove something why don't you ?

You had me laughing at 'Trump works.'  If watching television, tweeting, and golfing is working then our definitions of the word are way different.

7. profile image0

Definitions of work ? Yes  you mean like ,you don't know what it means ?

If the way we write is any indication of the amount of work we put in to our educations, I'm fairly confident I know which of us has a better grasp on the word.

And here's your stat of the day:

When asked why he hasn't visited the troops overseas, Trump said he's been unbelievably busy.  In his 668 days in office, he's golfed 149 times, visited his properties 183 times, held 73 campaign rallies even though he's not currently up for re-election, and tweeted 9,852 times.

That's not work, that's just plain lazy.

1. Randy Godwin profile image62
          Randy Godwinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank goodness he isn't working! He screws up everything when he does..

Keep your head down, Donnie!

2. Randy Godwin profile image62
        Randy Godwinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)