Yes, siree! The handwriting is on the wall. CNN is losing millions.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (95 posts)
  1. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 4 years ago

CNN Announces More Layoffs as Zucker Reveals Network is Losing $10 Million a Year
    https://summit.news/2019/05/28/cnn-anno … ion-a-year

1. profile image0
      Hxprofposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I've heard that other cable news is losing money also, but CNN is clearly being creamed.

Perhaps this is CNN's due for leading the trend towards fake news?

Kenna McHughposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I am sure that is the case. People want the truth, and it is not in the news. Follow the money and see who is paying for advertisement. Who benefits from the fake news?

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
          Kathleen Cochranposted 4 years agoin reply to this

If the truth is not in the news - at all - where do you propose to find it?  On a blog by someone sitting at their kitchen table in their PJs?

1. wilderness profile image96
            wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Possibly.  About all we the people have is to read 50 such blogs (including network "news") and attempt to discern what the truth actually is.

2. profile image0
            promisemposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Welcome back. The profit and ratings of CNN, Fox News and MSNBC matter only to people who don't read much.

Newspapers and network news follow standards that are foreign to entertainment channels like the three above.

3. Kenna McHugh profile image92

When reading or watching the news, you need to be smart and notice the discrepancies. You can't blindly believe their articles and newscasts.

1. profile image0

Does that rule apply to cable news networks on both the left and the right?

I did an edit to include newscasts.

4. N.E. Wright profile image71
            N.E. Wrightposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Lol.

2. profile image52
    sweet80posted 4 years ago

If CNN is losing money, why aren't the dems supplying it?  It behooves them to keep CNN on the air telling their lies.

Good point!

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

They are by buying products advertised on the network. The same as Faux News and other lying news services. I doubt seriously they'll go broke anytime soon.

1. Sharlee01 profile image81
        Sharlee01posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Maybe if CNN was a bit more diverse. the ratings might just recover a bit? One can always be assured to hear the name Trump every .10 seconds 24/7.  Guess many viewers just woke up to the fact one man could not have done all CNN reports or he would be in Jail.

1. GA Anderson profile image89
          GA Andersonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree. CNN should add a new tagline:All Trump All the Time.

I keep CNN playing in the background all the time. Not because I believe them, but because if there is any Trump-related issue I will hear it there first. Then I can go off on my own search to see what it is all about.

GA

I do much of the same... I have long realized CNN's stories have opened my eyes for the need for deep research.  One must not always believe Trump quotes from CNN.  It's just smart to check, did they just take one sentence and run with it? Conveniently leaving out all the sentences before and after the quote.

1. crankalicious profile image88
              crankaliciousposted 4 years agoin reply to this

As much as I disagree with you on politics, I can't stand CNN anymore. It's all opinion pieces or news stories framed in opinion.

I think the problem is that we're all too stupid to accept a news network that just reports the news without slant.

Do these Networks even exist?

2. Sharlee01 profile image81

It certainly seems that way. News has changed over the years. Instead of just reporting to the news using fact, names resources, they twist and turn the news until it comes out all wrapped up with a bow. And then they give the gift that just keeps giving. The unverified news spreads and becomes a fish story. Just get bigger as its told.

Fox News' isn't diverse, but it makes up for it by drawing all of the racist's viewership. Only 6% of their viewers are non-white. Duh!

6% I wonder where you obtained this info?  24/7 Trump Trump Trump... Almost could be called propaganda or brainwashing.  I will say they are doing something right... They have kept a small portion of the public, even with all their fake news.

1. profile image0

Again, it's easy to find. Fox News is the news channel for white people.

https://www.newsweek.com/fox-news-white … on-1067807

1. profile image0
                Hxprofposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Kind of makes sense.  If conservatives, on the whole, are tuning in to Fox, and if most conservatives are white......

1. Randy Godwin profile image60

and if most racists are white....

2. profile image0

Excellent point. That said, each cable news network has a strategy to appeal to certain demographics including race, age, religion and political affiliation.

It's one of the reasons why I don't watch Fox, CNN or MSNBC. They are entertainment channels pretending to be news channels.

I respectfully suggest that Fox will promote or demote certain stories according to race (the Squad) in part because that strategy appeals to white conservatives. In other words, it appeals to them in two ways.

That doesn't mean a white person who watches Fox is automatically racist. Nor is a black person who watches BET automatically a racist either. Racial preference is not always racism.

White people? Not worth commenting

1. profile image0

Do you deny that the Fox audience is 94% white?

If you doubt it, then look for yourself, Shar. I posted a link on anther thread showing Faux News demographics. It's easy to find...

I tend to believe you, Randy. Although I think that is sad. Because CNN just pounds the race card constantly of as late. Not sure that is fair to people of color. I think that keeps pointing out a false narrative to make people of color feel lesser human beings.  When in truth they have long fought to earn the respect they have always deserved.    Sad to see the Dem's and media using this kind of ploy to get votes. But they always have done just that, play the race card. Actually, there is no longer a race card to play. Maybe the Dems should realize that.

1. profile image0
                  PrettyPantherposted 4 years agoin reply to this

"Actually, there is no longer a race card to play. "

Are you saying racism no longer exists? If that isn't what you mean, then what do you mean by that statement ?

This is exactly what I mean.

As I said CNN just pounds the race card constantly of as late. Not sure that is fair to people of color. I think that keeps pointing out a false narrative to make people of color feel lesser human beings.  When in truth they have long fought to earn the respect they have always deserved.    Sad to see the Dem's and media using this kind of ploy to get votes. But they always have done just that, play the race card. Actually, there is no longer a race card to play. Maybe the Dems should realize that.

And yes there is certainly racism,  and this is just my opinion. I think great strides have been made in racism. I guess I am showing my age. But I can remember when people of color were badly discriminated against in every facet of their lives.  I think many people of color would object to being put in any category or minority. No not all people of color would feel this way, as I said there is much work to do.

I do believe if Trump stopped making attacks on certain people of color, CNN and the other networks wouldn't have any ammo to accuse him of being racist. Make sense?

I see your point. I think he should tone down how he speaks to any minorities. He could make his point if he looked at them differently, considering the fact that racism does exist. I am not sure he takes that into consideration what so ever?

You just said a mouth full... Agree

I agree, Sharlee.

Of course you do, Kenna. Fox watchers of a feather...and all that. tongue

And, at all.

I can tell you honestly I am not a racist. I don't a frequent fox or any given network. I have begun to skip around.

Now you're getting smart, Shar. Also you're learning to not trust what Trump says. Viewing many news outlets is the only way to get close to the truth in politics.

GA, Where do you search?

1. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I call my friend Google.

GA

Okay. I see, standard google search.

4. Kenna McHugh profile image92

It's sad when racism comes in play. It just a distraction, which it should not be. Human rights is an important issue. Thus, Trump's base will continue to grow.

1. profile image0

Yes, a racist President is good reason to feel sad.

A President who repeatedly gets worldwide condemnation for racist comments will have a tough time growing his base. Unless it's a racist base.

Then why are you supporting a racist, Kenna? Are you agreeing his racist dialogue helps keep his base growing?

Randy, Are you saying you are against Human Rights?

No, I'm saying I'm against racism. Unless you believe it's a human right to be racist, do you?

You said you believe in human rights, but are you familiar with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights? It appears you are not familiar with them since you asked that question.

Of course I'm familiar with it, Kenna. The 1st article covers quite a few of the others, would you agree? Sort of like we don't need all 10 Commandments as some are redundant.

"When human rights are not well known by people, abuses such as discrimination, intolerance, injustice, oppression and slavery can arise."

Oh, I get it. You're saying Trump is simply ignorant of basic human rights and doesn't mean any harm by his racist words.  Okay....

2. crankalicious profile image88

Seems like it's entirely white people saying that racism is no big deal.

I'm white, so that blows your speculation, crank. tongue Born and bred amongst racists, but I managed to escape with my morality somehow.

1. crankalicious profile image88

I was strictly defining "entirely white people" as a subset of those who were saying racism is no big deal. In other words, of the people who are saying that (of which you are not one), they all seem to be white.

5. Kenna McHugh profile image92

Sharlee, he weeded out a lot of corruption, and he is not stopping anytime soon.

I agree, he is doing a good job... And I think he will continue making things better.

6. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 4 years ago

Happy to report the international programming on CNN does not mention Trump all the time. We get to see the news from all around the world, presented by award-winning journalists ... some of whom were my peers and I know them to be responsible journalists.

CNN has journos on the ground wherever the news is breaking around the world and is a respected news source for that reason.

Have you not had extensive coverage of the riots in Hong Kong in recent weeks?

All of our media have given little time to reporting the riots.

2. Kenna McHugh profile image92

CNN is represented by quality journalists in the international arena. Not all of CNN is spinning the news.

7. Sharlee01 profile image81
    Sharlee01posted 4 years ago

I think anyone that can prove they are working and can't afford health insurance should be provided for. However, those that like private insurance and want to pay for it should have that right. I love my insurance and like the fact I choose my coverage. I respect our farmers, as I said. I respected our Auto industry and supported the loans. I very much approve of keeping all our industries solvent.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

How about requiring employers to pay for insurance for anyone working 40 yours per week or more?  The public is still paying the cost, but through product prices rather than taxes that way - if you don't buy the product you don't pay.

Of course, that leaves the problem of employers refusing to hire full time employees...

8. Kenna McHugh profile image92

Shar, I agree, but he will leave a snarky comment because that is who he is.

I suppose that is YOUR version of a "snarky comment", Kenna?  lol

That's as snarky as I get. big_smile

Amateur!  tongue

9. ScottSBateman profile image71
    ScottSBatemanposted 3 years ago

Kenna, I thought you would want to know that CNN is now the #1 cable news channel. MSNBC is #2 and Fox has dropped to #3.

"CNN's primetime lineup led cable in total viewers (3.92 million), adults 18-49 (0.63) and the key news demo of adults 25-54 (0.97). MSNBC was a close second in viewers with 3.81 million and had the No. 1 individual program in The Rachel Maddow Show (4.68 million). Fox News averaged 2.95 million viewers."

It seems more and more voters are getting the connection between the inflammatory propaganda from Fox extremists like Sean Hannity and the violence by Trump fanatics.

James Murdoch, the sun of the founder, even admits it.

https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/j … 4886896/#!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- … an-12-2021

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)