What you will answer to "who are you?" question and why?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (95 posts)
  1. Freya Cesare profile image78
    Freya Cesareposted 13 years ago

“Who Are You?”

Often we heard people asked. They want you to tell them who you really are. This is really simple question, is it? Or is it not?

Have you ever noticed how people can come up with different answer for that simple question? And sometimes they also come up with more than one answers.

“I am a Policeman.”

“I am a Husband.”

“I am an Atheist.”

“I am just a simple average man.”

Did you ever wonder why different people can come up with different answer for one simple question?

Is there any clue to decide what answer we should give regarding this question?

I want to know what you think about it.
    Thank you for the kind response.
    smile

1. dontmakemeover profile image69
      dontmakemeoverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting question! I think a lot of it has to do with context. Often people confuse the questions "Who are you?" and "What do you do?" because they see the two as intertwined, but obviously that doesn't have to be the case. Even our own names aren't necessarily "who we are" because they're merely labels given to us by our parents. When we introduce ourselves, we give our affiliations with jobs or other people because we are trying to give ourselves context, reason for being in a situation.

"I'm Sarah, Amanda's roommate", for example, clearly implies a person who is new in a given group in which an acquaintance of hers is already a member. By attaching our identity to our connections, it becomes easier to feel belonging and legitimacy.

Freya Cesareposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Depending to the context. People will look at the context before giving the answer.

But then it is mean "I" is related to many things which sometimes not really "me". Just a label, a connection. Something which not really define "me", but only to make "I" being easy to be tag and easy to be search later from the crowd. Isn't it?

2. Freya Cesare profile image78

Thank you. smile

3. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
        Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am ... a Human ... Created by One, Who Hath the Power, to Create ... The Creator of every "Ideal" and "Thing" ... out of Nothingness ... With The Command ... Be !

I am a Muslim, a humble follower, of Prophet Muhammad's Conveyed Word of God ... thus, a Muslim ... who tries his best, to Conform to The Ordained Way of Life ... Islam ... I am nothing more, nothing less. Peace and Blessings of Allah be Upon Muhammad.

I speak The Truth, and Interpret The Stated Word, within, God Granted Awareness ... for a Muslim, is Expected to State, The known Truth ...

I work ... I try for gainful employment, of my time, for The Lord Commands us humans, to make fair Effort, for a Fair Living ... and not subsist, on Interest ... earned sitting idle ... managing the others, Effort earned monies ...

Physical effort, is thus, involved ... in all fair Human actions for a living ... For the Duration of our Worldly existence ... Life.

I have been a fisherman, all my working life ...
        But I am most Grateful to The Lord, for Granting me the Opportunity, to do, my Present work ... The Exegesis, of the Koran Stated Word of God.

Thank you, Sir.

From your answer I concluded that you answering the question with what you believe the most which is become foundation of what you do, and it is how you defined yourself.

I wonder, is there any time when you will not give this answer but only answering the question related to the context, like when you are at the airport and ready to entering a foreign country, and an immigration’s officer ask you, “Who are you?”, or when you meet a man who wish to become your daughter’s future husband.  Will your answer at those particular moments following the context only and keep what you defined yourself as based of your behavior, or will you still giving similar answer, Sir?

I’m sorry for my curiosity.  Thank you, again.

1. Shahid Bukhari profile image60

Dear Madam

God hath Granted Humans,  the Complete, unobstructed Freedom, of Doing, whatever they want to Do ...
            At the same Time, God hath Shown us the Correct Way, of Living our Life

What you are asking is about day to day human affairs ... I can only Apply the Islamic approach, to your asked questions.

1. When you go to the Airport, or any port of Exit to any destination ... Go forward, in Peace.

2. You should Travel abroad, with a proper Tickets and Valid Travel Documents ... and if the Immigration officer asks ... "who are you" ... tell him, "I am the person, mentioned in the Passport and Travel Documents you are holding."

3. When you meet a Person who wants to be your daughter's husband, see, if he is Husband material ... meaning a gentleman who can spend the rest of his life faithfully  ... if not, you should tell your daughter, what you think of the person.

4. As a rule ... and if you must, then always Judge people, from what they "Do" ... Never Judge a person, by the way he or she dresses, talks, or carries, and appears ... Always take note of the Company, of a person ... it tells a lot, particularly ... if you are unable to decide ... if the person is a Con artist, or a genuinely good person.

Ah, thank you very much, sir. smile wassalammu alaykum.

AsSalaamO Alaikum

Your name sounded different ... glad to know you are an Indonesian Muslim. I read your Hub profile, today, and discovered, one of your interests is Indonesian Cuisine.

Let me tell you a short story ... I once met an Indonesian gentleman, in Karachi ... perhaps the year was 1964.

In the Islamic tradition, I requested him to have lunch, with our family, which he very graciously accepted. We served Pakistani Cuisine for the lunch, including Rice Pulao [Turkish Pulaf], Shami Kebabs [Syrian Kebabs], Roasted Chicken, Spiced Yogurt, Salad, Desserts, etc..

To our delight, Mr. Bacheron Idris obliged... that was his name ... and took  generous helpings of Pulao, and other foods ... but we were quite amused, when he asked for some Chillies ... because, from western standards, Pakistani food is considered rather spicy.

Anyway, we served him a few chopped green chillies ... on seeing these, he said ..."No, no ...  I mean Red Chillies ...  a few greens won't do"  ... so we brought him the red chillies powder jar ... and to our amazement, he covered the Pulao's Rice with a "layer of red Chillies" Powder, and said "Now thats good !"

It was then, that I realized, what was really meant by the term "Spicy Food" ... that is, Having Pulaf, with what to us, was a huge amount of red chillies ... but a regular feature of the normal cuisine, of our Indonesian brothers and sisters. 

I often remember Mr. Bacheron Idris, and am still amused by the memory of his taste for red chillies... it remains a precious memory to this day, although almost half a century has passed, and we never met afterwards.

Mr Bacheron Idris was a Journalist from Indonesia, just visiting his
                Pakistani brothers and sisters.

Regards

Freya Cesare is only my pen name, Sir. I chose that name because it's uniqueness make me easy to be find in the browser while my real name will send people who look for me have to find around several hundreds different person. The pen name is for tagging need only. big_smile

Ah, yes, most Indonesian have worst taste on chilly, but several tribes only. We usually chopped or crushed the small red chillies and combined it with onion and tomato, which we called as "sambal" and eat it as addition to main food, like fish, chicken, etc. I know several people who couldn't eat without it. Hot and spicy is a must for many Indonesia. And regarding his name, Mr. Idris, more likely he is Sumatranese. This tribe famous with their hot and spicy food. He is lucky then you had chilly for him. Me, myself, need to bring hot sauce or sambal if I have to go to the place where chilly is not important for the citizen. Food will never taste good without it.

Have a nice day, Sir. ^_^

Thank you for the Indonesian culinary facts.
                    wishing you good luck

Regards

4. kirstenblog profile image77
        kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

“I am a Policeman.” - Might be a criminal you talking to wink

“I am a Husband.” - Lady chatting you up in a bar wink

“I am an Atheist.” - Religious lady chatting you up in a bar wink

“I am just a simple average man.” - What you say to other simple average people smile

“Who Are You?” Reminds me of Babylon 5, the Vorlons asked that and the Shadows asked "What do you want?"

lol

So, it is not used to ask people to define themselves? Yes, I guess it's true.

And yes, some people will simply answer "who are you?" by "what you want?" I guess, it even happened before vorlons. smile

Thank you.

5. munirahmadmughal profile image48
        munirahmadmughalposted 13 years agoin reply to this

munirahmadmughal
        The answer is to come with reference to the context.
        What is the context is known to both sides.
        Overdoing and underdoing in giving the answer may cause the confusion.

And isn't confusing ourselves is the best thing human keep doing to themselves? Question, question and more question. Everytime it being answered, new questions will come up and replacing it. big_smile

I am agree with you. Context seem indeed playing important role here.

Thank you. smile

6. AKH profile image60
        AKHposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would answer that I am a "scott." A scott is but one of the three personality types of the Wakefield Doctrine (the theory of clarks, scotts and rogers). And once you understand who/what a scott is (or a clark or a roger)it will make perfect sense. Not only that, but you'll be able to understand why people say and do the things they do!

http://wakefielddoctrine.com

7. Slarty O'Brian profile image81
        Slarty O'Brianposted 7 years agoin reply to this

We are our conditioning both genetic and environmental (learned)

Will is the manifestation of conditioning. We do what we like, but we don't choose our likes or dislikes.

So I am my unique conditioning.

8. The0NatureBoy profile image56
        The0NatureBoyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I am someone who is in the finial stages of integrating every attribute of man known to man within me, after all, our purpose for being divided into human and woman beings we are is because when we become whole [holy] we are required to have experienced them all for integrating them all within ourselves.

9. Alan Grace profile image59
        Alan Graceposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I got the answer of "Who am I" and I would you guys to know about it deeply and thoroughly. https://goo.gl/ivrxw3

1. The0NatureBoy profile image56
          The0NatureBoyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

My name, Elijah = "Almighty god is I am that I am" Alfred = "Wise counselor" 'NatureBoy' = "one living with one foot in civilization and the other in the environment" Alexander = "Defender of man" and Junior = "the latter. All five parts of the name relates to biblical prophecy, Elijah Alfred Alexander is revealed in Malachi 4:5-6, NatureBoy is revealed a restorer per Matthew 17:11 and Junior to Exodus 4:8, together they say I am the end-time messenger.

10. venus Psychic profile image61
        venus Psychicposted 6 years agoin reply to this

i am happy lol

11. graveyard-rose profile image73
        graveyard-roseposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I am everything my life chooses me to be. No matter for how long I wear the "hat", i am that

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I am me. Plain and simple. No further explanation needed.

As to your question about wondering why people give different answers. No, I don't bother. It's a waste of time to think about.

Is there any clue to decide what answer to give? Doesn't matter.

Interesting answer, Cagsil.

"I am me."

What is "me"? Who is "Me"? What will define your "Me"?

smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What is me? If you have to ask, I suggest you go back to school.

Who is me? Me.

Me defines Me.

Considering that I don't mind to go back to school ^^, I hope you don't mind if I ask again.

If everyone answering "who are you?" simply by "Me", so what make your "me" different than any other "me"?

Is it because  your "me" have Cagsil as name.

Or is it because your "me" simply flesh and blood and sparks of life when your heart beat which everyone else also have?

Or because your "me" doing something which different than the other?

Or is it because your "me" thinking different than the other?

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
              Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Me" is unique to the person saying it. Your "me" is going to apply only to you. But - I understand you just fine when you say you are "me."

I am "me" also. But only to me. To you, I am the individual human animal called "Mark Knowles," and most of which make me that individual will be meaningless to you, because you are "you" and I am "me" so only "I" can understand it.

In which case I may choose words I deem appropriate to give you understanding as to what makes "me," "me," and seek words that you may have some understanding of in order to facilitate that.

As the first thing you wish to tell anyone about yourself is your religious affiliation, by wearing religious garb - you will probably get a lot of peopel answer "Shi-ite" "Sunni" "Christian" "atheist," whatever when you ask them this question - as they probably deem this to be the most important thing to you.

Who are you?

Mark Knowles, I am really appreciate you comment. But this is not religion and philosophy forum. What I wear is not significant with what I asked.

My question is not about what people will define themselves, but how they chose to define themselves and why. It is not about what you believe who you are, but the process which caused you created your frame of reference. Who you are for me is not important. But how you created who you are and why is interesting story.

In my idea about "I", just like dontmakemeover said, always relating to the context. In this case, by questioning this, I am simply a mere student which want to learn and understand more about how people's minds works. But in the other hand, I don't feel this is enough explaination about why people answer the "who are you?" question.

I have question and looking for answer.

I am not here to pursue anything other than answer for my question.

Can those above are enough explanation about my goal in asking question?

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
                  Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Of course it is - and I explained why. Your avatar makes it clear that your primary desire is to share your religious beliefs with everyone. This is why you wear religious clothes. If I showed a picture of Jesus or a Muscle car or a WWF logo - or whatever in my avatar - that would tell you something about me would it not? Which would thus color the answer you gave me if I asked you who you are.

When people are asked the question, "who are you?" one of the determining factors as to how they answer will depend on who is doing the asking and the statements they have made about themselves to you.

You said that when you asked people who they are, one of the answers you got back was, "I am an atheist."

I was attempting to explain why that might be the case. How they define themselves - to you - depends largely on you. wink

Sorry that was not the answer you were looking for.

Oh, no. Mark. You did answer my question. Thank you.

2. Cagsil profile image70

Freya, it wasn't directed AT you, but would be directed at the person who asked the question(aside from you, as in other people who would ask it).
              Who? It is a reference to my individuality, so in that case on the second time asked, I would give them my name, but the first time asked, I would say me. I hope that helps.
              I explained above.
              Everyone else is irrelevant, when it comes to discussing the individuality of a person.
              If that were the case, then the original question would have to be phrased differently than it was to get a different answer.
              Everyone thinks differently, that is what is the uniqueness in make up of a person's individuality. wink

Ah, thank you, Cagsil. That explained alot. smile

2. Joy56 profile image66
        Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ditto Cags, i agree..........

3. RichardCMckeown profile image59
      RichardCMckeownposted 13 years ago

Whenever someone is asking me" Who are you?", I would always answer it with my name and my occupation.

Thank you, Richard. smile

4. profile image0
      BunuBobuposted 13 years ago

I am God and you must surrender your body, mind and money to me.

1. Joy56 profile image66

you can have my mind body and money, to be honest you will send it all back, i am sure.

If you give your mind, body and money to BunuBobu, so what will have left for you, Joy?

1. Joy56 profile image66

oh yeah maybe i should keep hold if it all after all.......

1. profile image0
              BunuBobuposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ok, then just give me the money.

Too bad, BunuBobu. I need that alot myself. big_smile

lol

5. HattieMattieMae profile image60
      HattieMattieMaeposted 13 years ago

In one way we are all the same with the same basic needs, we all need love, understanding, encouragement, support, we have similar thoughts, non-religous beliefs as humans. We have the same fears, we have the same natural intstincts. Whether we believe in something or not, we still no what is right or wrong. We still choose to do what is rigt or wrong.

I could go on with the similarities, but than we are also different and unique creatures, with our perceptions, interpretations, individual experiences, tastes, and preferences.

I guess like I said on another page, we should let people live in their realities, and they should let us live in ours. We should just agree to disagree instead of shoving one way or another down each other's throats. For someone like you your experience is different than mine. Mine is different than yours. I believe in God for my own reasons, and what has happen in my life. But have you had the same experiences. No! So I can not expect you to agree. So why argue the point, when I have not walked in your shoes, nor you have walked in mine.  So wouldn't it be better to just accept one another as who we are. I understand for the first time on hub pages in my life time why people always told me don't discuass politics and religion. Why because it is harmful and hurtful in my opinion to both sides.

If i met an atheist at work, school, or in my home town we would be talking about other things, probably wouldn't even know you were one anymore than you would know I was a christian.

It's a crazy thing, because than you miss the most wonderful friendships just over religion and politics. It's a sad thing, and sorry so many people miss the opportunity to learn and grow from each other.

Oh, please. We are not talking about religion in here. I think I did put the forum inside cognitive psychology. Why then the answer had been bent to the other side? hmm If I am the one who caused it without realized it, please forgive me.

Like I said to Mark, My question is not about what people will define themselves, but how they chose to define themselves and why. It is not about what you believe who you are, but the process which caused you created your frame of reference. Who you are for me is not important. But how you created who you are and why is interesting story.

I am trying to understand more about human's mind, not about what they believe. sad

2. profile image0
        BunuBobuposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah dude, you are totally ruining the thread.

"Cognitive Psychology"

I have delusions of grandeur which have nothing to do with religion.

about money? wink

6. aka-dj profile image64
      aka-djposted 13 years ago

If you want more answers, here's a forum thread I started on just this question.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/53303

Might add to your discussion.

To me, the best answer is defined by my relationships, and not so much by my career, or skills.

I know that forum. I wrote the answer once too. You have so many funny answers there. I guess, it is my fault to make everything become too serious around here. sad

Define by relationship? Ah. I see.

So, if I can make a conclusion, outside have to be relating to the context, often people define themselves with what is the most important for them at the moment, right?

Thank you. smile

7. Scorpio21 profile image77
      Scorpio21posted 13 years ago

I'd say that's a good question! I'd like to know the answer to that as well!
      What I mean by that is: do we know the answer ourselves? or are we looking for the answer?

If you don't know "who are you"?, then I suggest you continue to search, learn and don't stop until you do answer it. wink

1. HattieMattieMae profile image60
          HattieMattieMaeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

usually what is in their mind is their beliefs, perception, and undertanding of thier selves. Listen to Byron Katie and she will prove the point that your beliefs system is how you percieve yourself, and how in your mind how you internalize everything, or choose to live bye what others say, or do, and how you react in your thinking.  Psychology, Psyche, spirituality all teach basically the same principles. It is cognitive behavior therapy, and carl jung, and other psychological theorists study all sides to come with their own conclusions.

And your point?

My advice to Scorpio was sound enough without the psychology and philosophical junk from others. I'm sure plenty of people rationalize specific things, just so they can make a buck or two.

However, psychology is making strides in understanding the human species, but most of it isn't for the average person and done to understand the criminal mind and nothing more.

If someone fails to understand themselves and are unable to answer the question "who are you" and has to put much thought into, then apparently they haven't learned enough about themselves, to even be any good to themselves, much less to others.

Ah, lol interesting point, Cagsil. 

"Psychology done to understand the criminal mind and nothing more."

Indeed, it is true. In the end, this is the vital benefit of psychology for society. But we never know how many criminals are walked around us these days. How scary! Isn't that make psychology become more applicable then?

I think, by questioning, we will start learning about ourselves. So it is not too bad and will help personality become more mature. Right?

Psychology is just a tool to understand criminal activity and the reasons for said activity. There would be no reason to apply it to the average person. The average person isn't doing damage to humanity, like criminals are.
                Learning about oneself is key to finding love.
                Maturity is a character trait one has to come to on their own. To understand when maturity isn't warranted, so that the child can have some fun, is just as important as to when being mature at time when warranted or needed. smile

Average person isn't doing damage to humanity? Hmm... I am not really sure about that, because if we read history of human, what we called normal today could be abnormal 10 years ago. And what we considering as abnormal today have possibility to become normal in another 10 years. Some of it, already changed the face of morality, which for me, many of it indeed already damaging humanity.
                  Mature people can have fun too. Being mature doesn't mean one have to be rigid, just more responsible on their own act and more wise in behaviour.

Yes, society/humanity/citizens do have a tendency to evolve forward.
                    Morality as it is defined cannot be changed. The subjective view of the individual, only gives off the appearance that morality is changing. Morality doesn't change. It's a set of definition.
                    I realize that, but when people want to be child-like, responsibility will always still play a factor, because it's bred into the person(which should be the case). When I say child-like, it's only in reference to put all other worries aside and just enjoy the moment without interruption. Our own minds get in our way of enjoying some things and to let go for only a brief time is actually what I'm talking about. smile

2. AKH profile image60
                  AKHposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Psychology is a broad and often mis-used term and more a category to me. The idea behind understanding personality types is understanding the perception of another. This is the foundation of the Wakefield Doctrine (the theory of clarks, scotts and rogers) There are just three personality types called, for reasons stated elsewhere, clarks, scotts and rogers. We all have some characteristics of each. It is the predominance of one over the other that determines which "type" we are.
                  And once we are able to see the world/reality through the eyes of another, that is to say their perception, behavior becomes understandable and even predictable.

2. Joy56 profile image66

some people are always looking for the answer, or to improve who they are......

Yes, very true. smile Thanks, Joy.

3. Freya Cesare profile image78

Hmm... Yes, that is interesting questions.

do we know the answer ourselves?
        or are we looking for the answer?

I often see people seem only know what they think they are which is sometimes really different with what them really are in other people sight. When this differences come in the surface and bump into each other, disappointment become the result.

For those who still looking, maybe they will adapt very well and growth into more mature personality. But it seem for those who feel cozy with who they think they are, it might waking up their depend mechanism. And I think in the process, turned them into more cynical, sarcastic or bully.

Hmm... I wonder if my observation is correct or not? hmm

Thank you. smile

8. HattieMattieMae profile image60
      HattieMattieMaeposted 13 years ago
      1. Joy56 profile image66

yeah good way of improving yourself it looks like to me....... too tired to go into it deeply, but i will take a look another time,  Do you follow it.

I will check. Thank you for the link. smile

9. Trish_M profile image81
      Trish_Mposted 13 years ago

Hi smile

If someone just asks me who I am, then I say 'I'm Tricia' ~ and I will give an additional piece of information, according to the situation: ie. so-and-so's mother / wife / daughter / sister / friend / whatever.

But if pushed with 'Ah, but who are you? Who are you really?' etc, then I will say 'I am me'.

I once received the response that this was a bit too close to what God supposedly said, when asked for his name. I received the impression that maybe they felt that it sounded a little bit arrogant?? But I was just being truthful. smile

Hi. I know exactly how you feel. Thank you, Trish. smile

10. gis_r07 profile image74
      gis_r07posted 13 years ago

Me? I am the person wondering how best to answer your question at this moment smile

Hahaha... asking this question suddenly make me think that I am trying to live in Socrates's mind.

11. camlo profile image83
      camloposted 13 years ago

I'm wondering if anyone has ever asked me, 'Who are you?' in those words. I'd probably think it a bit rude and ask who they are before walking away.

Ah, a Vorlon type. Kirstenblog said, in Babilon 5, a Vorlon answered "Who are you?" with "What you want?" big_smile

1. camlo profile image83
          camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, I wouldn't want to know what they want, nor who they are.

Ah, so it is simply a sarcastic way in saying, "I don't care what you want to know or what you think about me." I see.

May I know why you think the question bit rude? I mean, if vocalized, sometimes indeed we might find the rudeness in the way people asked which show us their intention. But when it written, I think it might be possible the questioner genuinely want to know about you.

1. camlo profile image83
              camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If I were caught trespassing, it wouldn't surprise me if somebody were to ask, 'Who are you?' I wouldn't take kindly to somebody asking me, 'Who are you?' in writing, either. They might ask something like, 'Would you like to tell me a little about yourself?', but only if appropriate.
              Otherwise, people tend to introduce themselves. Questions may be asked of another person at appropriate points during conversation. Seems the most natural thing in the world to me.
              You might be asked a succession of questions in court, or by the Police, or during an interview.

Ah, so it is regarding to how it sound. IF we see it from that point of view, indeed, the lines like:

"Who are you?"

"Define yourself."

"What do you want?"

sound unpolite. Thank you, Camlo. smile

12. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

When somebody ask me the q "Who are you?", my answer will depend on the situation and the person who is asking. You are mirroring yourself to the person who ask based on what you think he/she would like to know based on the circumstances/situation the both parties are in or one is in. But mostly this is a question about your name so I will say - My name is Maita, then I will smile. The ball will start rolling then.

Ah, that is similar with my own question. Thank you, Maita. wink

I mean my own answer. typo. sorry

13. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 13 years ago

I go along the reply of prettydarkhorse regarding social setting. When I am asked this question the views of George Herbert Mead regarding the "I" and the "Me" always causes a smile to be raised on my face. The social setting, the cause or reasoning for asking the question, who my "Me" is, and how my "I" will interact comes into play. If it is a police officer asking the question my first and last name become important. If it is a friend of a friend then my first name is all that is important. If it is an advesarial stranger then my identity or self becomes important, and on and on. However, and I may have this wrong, the truthful answer to the question "who are you?" will most likely not be revealed, because as Popeye said, "I am what I am and that is what I am." remember to have fun, fun, fun

1. tsmog profile image83
        tsmogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

(After stepping outside for a break I just remembered something. When I took a Symbolic Interactionism class - I know it is contrary somewhat to cognitve psychology, a forum question was to write about this , , ,)

Person A: Who are you?
        Person B: Me.
        Person A: You are me?
        Person B: Yes.

remember to have fun, fun, fun

1. lemmyC profile image71
          lemmyCposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The question of who are you is deep seated. It's a question of identity. 'As a man thinketh in his/her heart so he is.' It also a combination of your values and belief. These attributes are the drivers of your behaviors. It's a very difficult question and most people don't even know who they are. Being aware of this understanding is the begining of self-awareness.
          If you remember that an is a tripartite being made of spirit, soul and body; and understand that these parts play  significant role in who we become.
          Most of the attributes we exhibit are based on our learns and conditioned events in our lives which have become habits. These habits are responsible to most of the traits we exhibit. We can change them to more preferable ones which lead to better outcomes.
          Hence Who are you is a question of identity. And the why we do wat we do is a question of value of motivation.

Wow! I like this answer. Thank you, Sir. LemmyC

That is interesting answer, tsmog. smile

14. Diana Clavijo profile image53
      Diana Clavijoposted 7 years ago

Most People do not know the answer, they are too busy trying to please all their surroundings, trying to empathize and find others' acceptance. Tough question for them.

15. profile image53
      Uneek Kittyposted 7 years ago

Slarty: synchronicity led me here now. Am behaviouralit trained & educated; however closet Jungian. Agree w/ your definition of "Will". kudos!

1. Slarty O'Brian profile image81
        Slarty O'Brianposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. I don't even think behaviorists know that or teach it yet, but it seems obvious to me. It's been a hypothesis of mine for a few years now. I'm glad you see it that way too.

16. Whispering Night profile image64
      Whispering Nightposted 7 years ago

I am a simple human.

17. Medusa13 profile image73
      Medusa13posted 6 years ago

I am strong. I am courageous. I am cerebral. I am perceptive. I am persistent. I am responsible. I am silly. I am amiable. I am generous. I am empathetic. I am understanding. I am flexible. I am emotional. I am rational. I am balanced. I am independent. I am self-reliant. I am sensitive. I am impatient. I am outspoken. I am stubborn. I am high-spirited. I am complex. I am fortunate and grateful. I am bruised, but forever healing and growing. I am imperfect, but I am worthy and good enough.

1. Shay Seenayah profile image59
        Shay Seenayahposted 6 years ago

I think most of the time people would respond to the question with something that means more to them. If, for example, being a policeman moulded that person the most, maybe making them more athletic over other characteristics, they would say that they were a policeman. Or on the other hand, if someone is say modest or indecisive, they may just say average man.
        I think it all depends of your personality and what's made you you the most, if that makes sense.

1. profile image30
          My name Ajayposted 6 years ago

we are just human being.

1. The0NatureBoy profile image56
            The0NatureBoyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

"Man" - is defined as "mind able to comprehend all things".
            "Hu/Woman" - is defined as "incomplete man, man unable to comprehend all things".

Some of us are man because we do not buy into accepting things are made good/evil, right/wrong, pretty/ugly and the other judgmental adjectives. The others are "human" because holding on to judgmental adjectives prohibit us from being objective enough to comprehend the purpose for most things. Thus, one can call him/herself human or woman but should not call everyone such because few individuals recognize who are man and who are woman.

2. gmwilliams profile image84
          gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

I.......AM..........
          https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13147950.jpg

3. profile image60
          esarkarijobsposted 6 years ago
        4. jordancollins profile image41
          jordancollinsposted 6 years ago

I am a Teacher and Writer and I am proud about it)

5. Albina Welsh profile image41
          Albina Welshposted 6 years ago

Sometimes its very hard to explain, and also it depends on situation in which you are answered this question.
          But most of the time I would answer that I am a woman, I am a human, and I am a God's creature.

6. profile image53
          muhamet zuberposted 4 years ago

it is situational question

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
        Necessary
        HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
        LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
        Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
        AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
        Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
        CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
        Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
        Features
        Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
        Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
        Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
        Marketing
        Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
        Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
        Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
        Statistics
        Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
        ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
        ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)