Boston Straight Pride Parade and a “True” Liberal

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Readmikenow profile image95
    Readmikenowposted 4 years ago

I had always believed the Intelligent, articulate mentally and emotionally stable liberal was something that could only be found in ancient folklore.  It is like the mystery of Big Foot or the Loch Ness Monster.  You hear they exist, but you just can't find any real proof.  After having traveled to Boston to see the first Straight Pride Parade with a friend , I now know they are for real.

I only did one enlistment, but my friend retired after putting in 23 years.  His brother is a former Marine drill sergeant and his cousin was part of a combat unit that did two tours of duty in Iraq and one in Afghanistan.

We were all Trump supporting conservatives wearing MAGA hats.  We were among many wearing such hats.

So, despite what you see on television, it was not really a battle between the people in the parade and the protesters.  It was more of a battle between the protesters and the Boston police.  Things got pretty serious between them.  Some of the protesters were your basic rag tag, ignorant, clueless, idiots who seemed to have nothing better to do with their lives.  Most were actually okay and seemed act like they were at some sporting event. 

Shortly after the parade started I struck up a conversation with a woman named Chantel and her sister.  They were walking beside me.  She held a sign that said “Gay Pride, Straight Pride, just be proud.”  I learned she was a lesbian whose father was from Puerto Rico, her mother was from Mozambique and felt herself to be a strong liberal Democrat.  She owned a tea shop in Michigan after leaving a job as a corporate attorney.  A very interesting person.

We got along quite well.  She didn't agree with me, but said she is always respectful of other people's beliefs no matter what.  I liked her attitude. 

So, why was a gay woman marching with the straight people in the Straight Pride Parade?  According to her, it was about freedom.  She believed once you deny someone a simple right such as a parade, other freedoms were not far behind.  Chantel said she believed if you can justify denying a Straight Pride Parade what else would the government deny and there is no telling who they would deny?  I said that is a very conservative view.  She said no, it is the view of a “True Liberal.” I really found her fascinating.

So, after the parade was over my friends, I, Chantel, her sister and other friend all shared a meal.  It was quite an eye-opening experience.  We shared many common views.  I considered them to be conservative, she said they were views of a “True Liberal.”  I realized I was in the presence of an intelligent, articulate, mentally and emotionally stable liberal.  I now know it is no a myth, they actually exist. 

Here's my take on the Straight Pride Parade.

Why did the liberals make such a big deal about it?  If the protesters hadn't fought with the police and acted like idiots, it would have gone on and then it would have been over.  I don't know if there would have been much enthusiasm for another one.  BUT, since the protesters were SO aggressive in their chanting when people were speaking, attacking the police  and more, OTHER Straight Pride Parades are planned.  They lit a fire of determination.  I believe if this parade had been ignored, there would not have been the media coverage and it may have been the last one. This is not the case.  The parade marshal was Milo Yiannopoulos, a gay man.  Some of the people I walked with were gay, at a Straight Pride Parade.  I think there was more than Gay or Straight pride occurring.

Maybe Chantel was right.  It's not so much the parade but maintaining the freedom to have one that matters.  I wonder how many liberals would consider her a “True” liberal.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Was there any gays converted to becoming straight?

Maybe an excuse to party, no other real purpose behind it.

I like Christmas, my Mom an atheist, Dad's Catholic, my brother is a Lurthuren pastor, my sis is Santa Claus and I'm a cosmic sand gypsy. We all still have a hell of a party. Liberal and conservative are two wings of the same bird.

1. Readmikenow profile image95
        Readmikenowposted 4 years agoin reply to this

"a cosmic sand gypsy"

That is great! I like it.  It sounds like the title to a song.

Nope, nobody tried to convert anybody to anything that I saw.  I was impressed by the number of gay people who were supportive of the Straight Pride Parade. I was also surprised at how there were so many young idiots just acting like fools.  I never thought I'd see police treated like I saw there.  It was awful.

As I said, if this parade had been mostly ignored, it would not have had any impact.  But, because the left made such a big deal about it, others are planned.

2. Ken Burgess profile image77
      Ken Burgessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Great post, glad you shared.

What was the size and element of the protesters to the parade, could you tell?

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Finally saw a report on the "parade".  It mentioned about a 1,000 protesters vs 200 in the parade.  It also mentioned that many of the parade members were black and/or gay, including some of those that organized it.  Yet the protesters claimed it was by white nationalists as an excuse for the violence and hate.

1. Ken Burgess profile image77
          Ken Burgessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

So what you are saying is a bunch of white supremacist nationalists, that just happened to be black and/or gay, couldn't even muster up 200 people for their parade.

Well, at least it gave the media a reason to pound away on their anti-straight-white-guy drum a bit.  They've never let facts get in the way of their efforts before, so why start now.

1. wilderness profile image93
            wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Well, you have to admit that a gay black man would likely have trouble getting white supremacists to rally around them. lol

But yes, the media must put it's own spin on it all.

2. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 4 years ago

Are "true" liberals like "true" Christians, in the eye of the beholder?

I think so.

Glad you had a positive experience at your parade.  Since I didn't even know it had happened, I wonder what media "pounded away on their anti-straight-white-guy drum"?

3. Castlepaloma profile image76
    Castlepalomaposted 4 years ago

The Toronto Christmas parade was the longest running and the largest Santa Claus parade in the world. Then the Toronto gay parade came along then it become the largest parade in Toronto, plus the largest gay parade in the world.

Fairytales have changed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)