Warning to people with Webcams: I can see you!

Jump to Last Post 1-44 of 44 discussions (71 posts)
  1. TimTurner profile image70
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

I found a message board (not going to mention the site) that has tons and tons of security cams and webcams across the WORLD that you can watch.

The site is run by hackers that can turn on your webcam without you knowing.

There are HUNDREDS of webcams in living rooms, offices and bedrooms on the site and you watch everything from a family watching TV to some intimate stuff in their bedroom.  I was shocked.

There are also countless of security cams in stores, banks, universities and even parking lots (boring) that you can watch.

I have no idea how these hackers do this.

But, again, just a warning to anyone with webcams....there could be thousands of people watching you and you don't even know it.  The hackers even include the city/state/country of the personal cams.  I've even seen a few addresses.

I put a piece of tape over my webcam when I'm not using it  hahaha

That message board creeped me out!!!

1. Friendlyword profile image60
      Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My webcam lights up like a Christmas tree when it is on.  You think they can bypass that? You creeped me out!

1. schapz profile image59
        schapzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I believe there's no way to bypass this, as it's a hardware function. But please, do correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Nxt Borrel profile image61
          Nxt Borrelposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Luckely most pc's and laptops do have the cam installed as hardware so hackers can't change the settings on a distance. But still they can use your cam when you didn't completely turn off your laptop. If it is is sleeping mode they can open your cam.

2. profile image53
      JohnStewardtposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hey Tim - if you are interested in a legitimate product to prevent webcam hacking - google camJAMR Webcam Covers or go to www.camjamr.com

I love using them. They work just as advertised. Just figured I'd help out!

Cheers

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Kind of old news to be honest, as I could've told you that, and I'm a dumbass.  lol.  Just kidding.   All jokes aside yeah this is why you should never leave your webcam hooked up to your pc when your not using it.  And if you have a laptop with a built in webcam, you should always try to find ways to keep that covered up unless you want to use it for something.

3. Black Lilly profile image60
      Black Lillyposted 14 years ago

hm.. ok.
      All my laptops have an in-built webcams, though I never use them - should I cover those?

TimTurnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I would.

These hackers are crazy.

2. profile image53
        JohnStewardtposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Check out camJAMR Webcam Covers. I use them on all of my devices with built-in web cameras. You just stick them over the lens, and remove them when you want to use the camera. They are specially designed for this use, they work great. www.camjamr.com

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I never use a web cam for that purpose.

TimTurnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't matter what you use your webcam for.  They can turn it on, without you knowing, and watch you do anything.  You can just be sitting there doing paperwork but people could be watching you.

It's crazy.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't use one, it's in my garage sale pile unopened, unused.
          do you use a mac or pc?

5. TimTurner profile image70
      TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

Oh and another thing....the site promotes a company that sells a program that you can record anything on the webcam.

I guess that's their goal is to get you to buy that.

So you can record what's happening on the webcam that you're watching.  In other words, you're most intimate moments could be recorded and traded amongst people because someone, not only watched you, but recorded it.

That site seriously freaked me out.  Put a piece of tape on your webcam whenever you're not using it people!

1. Brian Leighton profile image57
        Brian Leightonposted 14 years ago

If your anti-virus software is configured correctly, then you would not have unmonitered ports left open. By visiting the website, it is possible they had a malware script built in that ran but I seriously doubt if it could activate your webcam...

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes, and enable your firewall and especially if on a pc remember spyware does not guard against peripherals which would include a separate webcam. you need a super anti-spyware.

if using wireless wabcam or wireless router enable your security key and use highest encryption available.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
            prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that is just crazy, thanks for the information Ms RebekahElle

2. wrenfrost56 profile image56
        wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

OMG! Creepy! hmm

3. Don W profile image83
        Don Wposted 14 years ago

it's big brother with a viral twist

1. darkside profile image65
          darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's more like little brother peeping through keyholes that they shouldn't.

If any hackers are bothered accessing my webcam right now they must be infinitely bored.

Or like the sight of a man who has just got out of bed, sitting in a dressing gown, sipping on a coffee, looking unkempt.

1. profile image0
            Miss Takeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ugh you look terrible, really terrible......

2. Dame Scribe profile image56
            Dame Scribeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Alright, DS, no need to tease us single ladies with such a visual lol as for guys, the tumble out of bed look can be hot for gals too you know wink lucky you are married, hehehe

1. heckstallmaffei profile image58
              heckstallmaffeiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

4. waynet profile image69
        waynetposted 14 years ago

Oh no! what if I am doing the five knuckle shuffle and they are watching, when it's on it goes red and when it's not it's green so I may be safe!!lol!

1. darkside profile image65
          darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What's the difference between pink and purple?

5. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Hey if they wanna see me without makeup on, my hair all over the place, and me looking like crap...they really must be bored.

What losers!

6. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

That (possibly paranoid) thought has occurred to me, which is why I won't connect the little webcam I have (although my PC is in the main part of the house, and all anyone would see is me sitting in front of the screen from one end of the day to the next.  smile

7. Dee Dee MonSherie profile image61
        Dee Dee MonSherieposted 14 years ago

Do you have to be signed up with webcam software for a laptop video cam to be activated remotely?

8. profile image49
        kdawg001posted 14 years ago

Question?
        My webcam on my laptop has a blue light that turns on when my webcam is active. Would they (hackers) be able to disable this??

9. Jane@CM profile image61
        Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I'm sorry, I can't really believe this.  I know when my webcam is on, which is rare.

Gosh, they'd be pretty frickin bored looking at this old Grey haired lady in her jamies LOL LOL, if I smile, do you think they can tell I haven't brushed my teeth big_smile big_smile

10. profile image0
        TMinutposted 14 years ago

Maybe one of them can find Misha for us! :-)

11. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years ago

well, if it puts a tiny thrill into their drab little lives...

(seriously, those people are crazy! isn't peeping tomism a felony?)

12. ediggity profile image61
        ediggityposted 14 years ago

Maybe the ladies should add this to the, "How To Find A Good Man!!!" thread.  With this method you may just find one.

1. Dee Dee MonSherie profile image61
          Dee Dee MonSherieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lol!  You are so fun!!!

13. Blogging Erika profile image66
        Blogging Erikaposted 14 years ago

I'm a little skeptical of this, honestly.  I think it's more likely that all the video on that site was scraped and pre-recorded, as a tease to get you to buy their software.  Totally fake, in other words.

But it's a great example of why you want to have a firewall set up, AND a router between you and the outside world.  And some good antivirus software as well.

14. sabrebIade profile image80
        sabrebIadeposted 14 years ago

I think I saw them do that on NCIS: LA or one of the hundreds of police shows I watch...LOL

15. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

This just freaked me right out and made me put some clothes on lol

16. Flightkeeper profile image66
        Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I think one peek at me in the morning is enough to have them run screaming from their computer. I am not worried.

17. Choke Frantic profile image69
        Choke Franticposted 14 years ago

Oh crud. I've always been paranoid that someone could do that. I recently got over this fear, dismissing the capability of anyone to do this... Now its actually happening! I think I might try the tape idea!

18. profile image0
        mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

I see you all now - you are all writing in a forum on hubpages wink

1. profile image0
          Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mine is in a drawer with my undies... not plugged in to my comp... Im glad it's not hooked up or  they might get off on watching me do the dishes!

1. A Driveby Quipper profile image58
            A Driveby Quipperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Tease.

1. profile image0

I do laundry too.

19. FatFreddysCat profile image93
        FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

Thankfully I don't own a webcam... and I'm certainly not going to buy one now (shudder)

20. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

I don't own a webcam (yes, I know, antideluvian) but if I did, I'd just unplug it when I wasn't using it.

1. schapz profile image59
          schapzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not that easy to unplug a webcam stuck inside your laptop I'm afraid sad

2. profile image52
          charlie dickinsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

If you unplug it they just plug it back in and continue watching everything you do. You cannot even put something over the camera, because they use x ray and they are actually watching you from the screen itself. They are very very determined to be your friend whether you like it or not... Just ignore and let them finish doing things to themselves to you and hopefully there's not too many of them and it will end soon... there's thousands of them , so we all have a problem and something needs to be done.

21. prospectboy profile image85
        prospectboyposted 11 years ago

This is definitely disturbing news here. I have one webcam that I brought for my computer, and one built into my Netbook. They both light up whenever they're in use, so I assumed that that would let me know if I was being watched. Anyway, I seldom use my webcam on my Netbook, but I think I'm going to start unplugging the one hooked to computer whenever I'm not using it.

22. agvulpes profile image85
        agvulpesposted 11 years ago

So "Person of Interest" is actually a 'documentary' smile
        For laptop users, If you are really worried just cut up a piece of cardboard and bend it over the screen lid of your laptop smile

23. Doctor Kristy profile image89
        Doctor Kristyposted 11 years ago

This story freaked me out enough to put blu-tack over my webcam years ago:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/04/webcamscanda/
        http://boingboing.net/2010/02/17/school … udent.html

24. HoneyBB profile image94
        HoneyBBposted 11 years ago

I have also heard that this happens a while back. The important thing to remember is that Your Webcam does Not have to be on. They can still get in it. Some companies started making laptops with little sliding doors so people can close them denying access to hackers specifically because hackers were doing this to people.  I sometimes put something over mine but sometimes I don't care enough to go look for something to cover it up with.

25. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

I have trained my cat to stand for hours, backwards, with his tail up and...

Stand still with 3 paws on the 'F' key and 1 paw the 'O' key ('F' 'O' 'F' 'F')...

and..

To anyone checking out my webcam... It must look some @SS is looking back at them! smile

I always wonder... which @ss will 'Twitch' First??  lol

26. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 11 years ago

This is just wrong.
        Thanks for the warning.
        Is it just laptops or is it any computer?

27. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

But wait! There's more...

"Your favorite Android app could be tracking you right now"

http://now.msn.com/android-apps-collect … ation-data

And so it goes...

28. Cheeky Girl profile image65
        Cheeky Girlposted 11 years ago

Most mobile phones can do this. Actually mobile phones are notorious for doing this, and even security software installed on iPhones has helped to catch thieves by sapping their picture and putting them on the web. But for the wise, cover the camera when you don't want to use. Too many pervs out there.

29. waynet profile image69
        waynetposted 11 years ago

I heard that if you are about to have a sly five knuckle shuffle, then your webcam activates and records your thoughts too.....I'm thinking that all electrical devices do this, so you should watch out for your Toaster as the toast pops up...it could mean that someone has been watching you crack one out whilst waiting for the Toast to be ready!

1. SimeyC profile image89
          SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Remind me never to have toast at your house! big_smile

1. bBerean profile image60
            bBereanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've seen breakfasts at Waynet's house through his toaster before, and let me tell you, you'll be missing out.

1. SimeyC profile image89
              SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm just not asking for cream in my coffee big_smile

2. profile image0

Im pretty sure if that's taking place at Waynes house, we wouldn't need a translation for his thoughts.

30. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 10 years ago

Psssssssst.....

Psssstt....

Psssst..

Down Here......

I can see a Spammer, all over this thread....

But it's only visible when..

Pssst... Sorry.... I was saying that you can only see the spammer if:

I'm trying to say this quickly.... but you can only see them if

Oh..... No!!!   roll

If..
        You use....
        the..

ENTER key.....

Phewwww this is really hard!!

While you hold down

Oh No!!  sad

The control key with your nose

AND LOOK towards

The upper left corner of your screen.... (there that's better smile ).... then

OMG  OMG  OMG!!

I can't believe what I'm seeing.... sad

OMG....

Soooooo that's where my Peanut Butter toastie got to......

Nope.... sorry.... false alarm...

Nope....

It's that spammer  JohnStewardt  and he's...

having breakfast at Waynet's place!!

Now..... I wonder why he's.....

hang on....

why he's.....

Doing that with is middle finger.... sad

Nope..... he's not at Waynet's place.... he's...

Awwwww Yuk!!! 

OMG..... OMG....  How Gross!!!

How do I get my nose off the keyboard????

OMG this dude is watching ME!!!   sad

And he's....

OMG.... he's got a really small......

you know....

a small.....

camera attached to my computer... 

but I'm pretending to be offline.... Phew, that was def not Waynet!  smile

31. Zelkiiro profile image87
        Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

Good thing I'm too cheap for a webcam, then, I guess?

32. Stacie L profile image89
        Stacie Lposted 6 years ago

I keep my webcams covered at all times  hmm

33. profile image0
        Mikey Carrollposted 5 years ago

You can find a webcam cover for around $5 to $10 on Amazon to keep it covered.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
          FatFreddysCatposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Or, y'know, just put a piece of tape over it.

34. Vichet Sen profile image60
        Vichet Senposted 5 years ago

My webcam is not covered and potential to hackers now. Fear!! smile

35. Engineer tech profile image61
        Engineer techposted 5 years ago

Turn off

1. Sreelesh Kumar profile image66
          Sreelesh Kumarposted 5 years ago

Oh! thanks for letting us know about such a danger hanging in our bedrooms.

2. profile image0
          neha asgharposted 4 years ago

yes thats really true... i know it since 2 years.. but know im wondering that why i haven't putted piece of tape yet??

3. joshua david 96 profile image41
          joshua david 96posted 4 years ago

how they can see me even my laptop is power-off?

4. engineerai profile image59
          engineeraiposted 4 years ago

This is not only with the webcams infact with every technical product. As technology grows the privacy concern become more bigger.

5. Nxt Borrel profile image61
          Nxt Borrelposted 3 years ago

What is the name of the website?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
        Necessary
        HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
        LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
        Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
        AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
        Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
        CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
        Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
        Features
        Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
        Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
        Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
        Marketing
        Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
        Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
        Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
        Statistics
        Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
        ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
        ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)