Hub moved from niche site to hub pages and it's number two on google.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (49 posts)
  1. TessSchlesinger profile image61
    TessSchlesingerposted 4 years ago

So here's the history

It always did well

You did some snips (whatever that means).

But you changed the photos. I put them back. I also added some writing.

You did a professional edit.

You totally removed all the photos. They were absolutely horrific, and you told me that they didn't fit in some technical place. So I removed the writing I had on them and put them back to the same size.

I never touched the text at all. I left that exactly as it was.

So here's the thing.

Is your staff not trained to use an imaging editor to crop photos? I find that difficult to believe.

Or is the fact that I am personal non gratis affecting the judgement of your staff.

Or is it not possible to inform hubbers that the size of photos affects something or other and give us the correct size? Or you have and I have missed it somewhere?

Or perhaps you can't write to hubbers and say "We need you to change the photos on  your hub"

What is wrong with you?

Are you really so small-minded that you actually cannot tell a professional writer that a particular photo doesn't work? And explain why?

To me, what is happening smacks very much of some very bad decisions at your offices. As it transpired, it wasn't only my figures that were going down, the figures of other people are going down as well, and you have not explained why.

I want to know why.

1. OldRoses profile image92
      OldRosesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Tess, I have had the same thing happen to me.  The problem is that the editors are experts at editing, not horticulture (in my case) and didn't realize that the photos they added to my article were not the plants that I was talking about.  Perhaps the same thing happened to you?  That the editors have no expertise in the topic of your article so their changes were not appropriate? 

What I did, was replace the photos with correct ones and emailed the editors to let them know that I had done this and why.

As for the snips, they always send an email with links so that you can see what was snipped.  Again, if I disagree with their edits, I just revert them and email the editors to let them know why their snip was inappropriate.  In my case, it is usually terminology that is common in the horticultural world but not grammatically correct in the editorial world.

As for photo size, I think that that is all explained in the Learning Center.  I have to admit I haven't visited the Learning Center in a while because it is arranged in a very confusing manner.  I liked the old layout much better.

May I respectfully suggest that instead of ranting in the forums, that you try first to have a conversation with the editors about changes that they have made?  I have found them to be reasonable once they understand their errors.

If you still cannot resolve your disagreements after discussing your issues with their changes, then rant away!

TessSchlesingerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I've looked at the learning centre. I can see no data about size of photos, and I comply with everything that they say.

Pointless talking to the editors. They don't talk to me.

They just edit away (and while I've seldom objected to what they did in text), it's the photos that get me every single time.

If they would kindly tell me what is wrong with the photos, I can fix them.

Even now, the general "Your piece does not measure up to HP standards,' is to my mind complete bull.

I have seen terrible pieces that no professional magazine would touch on niche sites.

I also realize that the more I speak about this on the forums, the nastier they are going to get.

It's childish.

If they were professional, they would write and explain things to me. They don't.

I've been an editor for two publishing houses in London, and this is not how editors work.

1. OldRoses profile image92
          OldRosesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

My apologies.  The requirements for photo size are in the FAQs, not the Learning Center (https://hubpages.com/faq/#imagerequirements).  They are as follows:

You can upload photos to Your Photos, so you can use them later in an article, a Forum post, or as your HubPages Profile photo.

Only JPG, GIF, and PNG formats are allowed.
          Animated GIFs are allowed in articles and Forums, but they must be no wider than 520 pixels.
          Each image can be no larger than 8 megabytes.
          Adult content is not allowed in photos.
          Pixelated images are not allowed.
          Your images will look the best if you upload original photos in their highest resolution, and that are preferably 1000 pixels wide or wider.
          You can only upload 20 images at a time.
          If you're using a photo from another site, make sure it's properly attributed.

Thank you. smile

2. NateB11 profile image90
      NateB11posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I've recently been the victim of  bad editing decisions here, I know what you mean. In my case, I think I'll move my article to another site. Not sure yet. But I'm pretty sure the article was edited into becoming useless so I'd be better off moving it and it might take less work as they're asking me to edit the article further (and unnecessarily). It's pretty absurd.

I am now writing for Medium. I paid the $50 required, and I'm quickly gaining a following. I don't know how it will take off, but I also certainly enjoy reading the articles. They have fantastic writers there.

The founder of Medium does not believe in paying for writing by advertising. So all readers have to pay $5 per month or $50 per year. From that income, according to the number of readers writers get, the money is divided amongst the writers.

Suits me.

Hubpages  might not believe in my writing, but I do.

1. NateB11 profile image90

I was thinking of writing for Medium too. I have an online friend that writes on that site and she writes very high quality articles. I've always been more interested in writing on more serious subjects anyway, and I notice on Medium they have that kind of article.

The writers are absolutely brilliant, and if you're good enough to get thousands of reads, you are well paid - definitely better than here.

This is really interesting.

https://medium.com/blogging-guide/how-m … cf0c9c7533

And so long as you put up a notice that says that in the interests of transparency, you earn a small commission on affiliate sales, they're cool with that.

Thank you for this information, very valuable to me at the moment. I like the idea that earnings are not dependent on Google, neither in advertising nor in traffic. At least, that's how I understand it.

Well it's a paid subscription service. So they have money to pay writers. Obviously the more traffic you draw, the more you get paid, and it can be substantial.

Probably going to give it a go, at least for more serious writing. Maybe I can build a readership.

SEO works on exactly the same principle as Hubpages, and Medium has a higher ranking.

2. bhattuc profile image85
    bhattucposted 4 years ago

Very strange but informative. It is good that you have put it back to its status quo. TessSchlesinger, I think such things might happen sometimes as editors would also be preoccupied in their mind to make the article more attractive or less clumsy but sometimes their efforts might not yield the desired results and then they can simply resort back to the original or ask the author to do so. It might not be something intentional but a communication between the editor and author might help to avoid such embarassing situations.

3. EricFarmer8x profile image94
    EricFarmer8xposted 4 years ago

I considered Medium as well, but I am worried about publishing in too many places, as I also have my website. I guess it never hurts to consider all the options available.

Well, at this point, I'm screwed on hubpages, so I've nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I'm sorry about that. Despite the bs from the right wing, hubpages had a special place in my heart.

I'm sorry it appears to be going south (I hope I'm wrong).

4. MitaraN profile image59
    MitaraNposted 4 years ago

Very interesting, and definitely something to look into, always good to go where you are much more appreciated on the many articles you have to share.

5. MitaraN profile image59

I have tried, unfortunately does not support South Africa, they said I would need to await for a notification once they support, that may take a while. Any other options perhaps available until then...

Yup. It was one of the reasons I flew to London two weeks ago. It was to get a new bank card for my British Bank account, and to ensure that Stripe was still connected to it, plus buy a British sim card.

When I got back here, I spent an hour with my mouth in my gut setting it up, hoping that the fact that my IP address wouldn't upset the apple cart.

However, it worked fine, and I was accepted. They didn't even care that I gave a South African address.

I'm not sure what your situation is, but if you can figure out a way to get a British bank account, then you can add Stripe to that, and it will be okay.

6. TessSchlesinger profile image61
    TessSchlesingerposted 4 years ago

Wow. I joined Medium on the 28th March, and on the 31st March, they paid me $0.25. I am impressed. This looks promising.

https://hubstatic.com/14948008.png

That looks promising and I could use the money. Going to have to put something together to get the ball rolling over there. I have a few ideas.

Wow. And this morning I looked at one of my pieces and it has 53 claps! This is stunning. I have been there for 6 days in total. I think if one has the savvy to write the kind of articles that garner traffic, one can do very well there, plus, of course, they don't put a thousand rules on you.

1. theraggededge profile image96
          theraggededgeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

How does payment work there, Tess? It's okay for the UK, yes?

Yup.

First you sign up for Stripe.com. Then you connect your Stripe account to your British Bank account. And you need a smart phone number (UK).

Once that is done, you're ready to go.

1. theraggededge profile image96
              theraggededgeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. Might take a look at Medium later. Don't know if my niche will work on it though.

7. MitaraN profile image59

Wow, with just 6 days, that is promising.

No banks remotely close to where medium supports that are close by, and with the lockdown, I can't really get around. They don't support PayPal either, and you have to provide an account to which they are supporting.

They mentioned if I request, I will need to pay $500, or the other option is I wait.

Yup. I know. That's why I flew to London. I screwed me in every possible way in South Africa for more than just a company or two. I was just lucky that I already had a Stripe account plus a British bank account from when I lived in Scotland.

I also needed a British telephone number and I bought a British sim card which is now on my phone (dual sim).

So it was a matter of going there and fixing things up. I had previously tried to access my Stripe account in SA, but just couldn't do it. Not sure why.

8. Solaras profile image94
    Solarasposted 4 years ago

Thanks guys for clarifying! I don't think I have anything special to share over there. I will give it a thought though.

9. CJ Andrews profile image84
    CJ Andrewsposted 3 years ago

I have never had a job that I agreed with everyone.  At HubPages, there have been edits that I don't agree with and I have either accepted it, emailed my explanation of why I changed it back, or found another way to edit the article that I was happy with and met the editor's desire.  At Medium, they put you behind the paywall or in front of it, HubPages at least tries to give you some direction.  Very little has changed here, and most of the changes that do occur are forced changes to follow algorithm changes with ads.  An article on HubPages takes about 8 months to mature, Medium can be faster depending on the topic and following.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)